Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What Do You Think Leopard's Top Secret Features Are? (You can select more than one)

• Touch Screen Software Innovations for a Mac Tablet and Possibly The New iMac

Votes: 54 20.8%
  • One (or More) New Must Have Application(s)

Votes: 125 48.1%
  • A New Finder

Votes: 170 65.4%
  • iLife Included as Part of the OS

Votes: 84 32.3%
  • iWork Included as Part of the OS

Votes: 29 11.2%
  • Interface Themes

Votes: 99 38.1%
  • Other

Votes: 75 28.8%

• Total voters

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
Steve Jobs promised us "Top Secret" Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard features. What do you think they are? (Be sure to also comment on what you'd like them to be aside from the poll in this thread.)

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
Steve Jobs promised us "Top Secret" Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard features. What do you think they are? (Be sure to also comment on what you'd like them to be.)

remember, steve promised 3 ghz powermac g5's a year after the g5 was released. apple doesn't always do what it says it will, and i'm beginning to think these secret features will prove to be empty promises. i'm hoping i'm severely wrong on the matter; i just don't want to get my hopes too high. i'm already happy with time machine, spaces and an improved spotlight and safari. anything else really is just gravy. as for "secret" features i'd want, i'd only really like to see the end of brushed metal across all apps. i don't ask for much.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
remember, steve promised 3 ghz powermac g5's a year after the g5 was released. apple doesn't always do what it says it will, and i'm beginning to think these secret features will prove to be empty promises. i'm hoping i'm severely wrong on the matter; i just don't want to get my hopes too high. i'm already happy with time machine, spaces and an improved spotlight and safari. anything else really is just gravy. as for "secret" features i'd want, i'd only really like to see the end of brushed metal across all apps. i don't ask for much.

Keeping your hopes low is a smart move :) I expect a new or significantly-enhanced Finder, and res-independent UI. Nothing else (at least nothing big).

But re the 3GHz G5 being late... that was IBM that didn't keep the promise. Nothing Apple could have done to make that come true without IBM. Leopard, on the other hand, is Apple's own product, in their own control.

Of course we all know what lengths Apple went to to take control AWAY from IBM after such delays :)

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Personally, I'm hoping for TV recording capabilities, but that's the last thing I'm expecting.

I'm not expecting much... maybe a updated UI, Finder, and Res. Independence.

I'm also starting to think iLife & iWork will be included with Leopard, at a new price of $199.

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
Personally, I'm hoping for TV recording capabilities, but that's the last thing I'm expecting.

I'm not expecting much... maybe a updated UI, Finder, and Res. Independence.

I'm also starting to think iLife & iWork will be included with Leopard, at a new price of $199.

According to this link Apple has not kept Resolution independence as a "Top Secret" feature--it's a sure thing.

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
another not so secret feature is quick look (time 3:31).
That certainly was an interesting video as were the other videos that the user posted but some of them were inappropriate such as the "daemon" reference and the shaking of the rear in the "World of Warcraft" game demonstration (Kind of ironic that the word demon is in the spelling of demonstration isn't it?).

rockstarjoe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2006
washington dc
Not a secret feature, or even anything that exciting, but I sure would like it if the Finder was improved to handle network shares better. A "Reconnect at Login" box a la windows drive mapping would be sweet. :rolleyes:

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I think that Apple's going to deliver some new must-have built-in application(s) that integrate with the iPhone or deliver some new experience to make our lives easier. These innovations will require a new Finder, which I think Apple's also preparing behind the scenes. Neither of these things significantly impact the overwhelming majority of developers - that's why Apple is able to keep them secret.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
integrate ical, mail and sickies - productivity hub for the mac. new finder interface, msn support in ichat, updated front row, like apple tv.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
integrate ical, mail and sickies - productivity hub for the mac. new finder interface, msn support in ichat, updated front row, like apple tv.
If the integrated productivity app had some form of MAPI-compatible interface for Exchange, something reverse engineered rather than licensed from M$, Apple would be onto a major winner. Especially if they then released the reverse-engineered code to the OSS community :D

Don't know about he MSN support though. MSN is bigger outside the US than within, and we all know how US-centric Apple's priorities can be.

I'm expecting something that ties in with Google's applications in some way. Eric Schmidt being invited onto the board of Apple has to have something major behind it.

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
I think the "secret" features are vapor or are coming in future increments. Given that every Apple exec says 10.5 is shipping in the spring, they are running out of time real fast just to have 10.5 as demoed ready. To add in new features at this time would be a truly difficult task. I'll keep my expectations low.

Zimmy

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2005
A redesigned Finder is a good guess, being this the midway point (10.5) we will see something completely different.

Zim

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
An agreement with MS and the Parallels firm to bundle Vista and Parallels with every copy of Leopard. Amazon are slashing the price of Vista, it's practically being given away anyway.

And, Leopard on a Stick - the ability to carry your OS X desktop wherever you go on a USB stick or iPod and plug it into any PC, which will then work like your Mac.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Not a secret feature, or even anything that exciting, but I sure would like it if the Finder was improved to handle network shares better. A "Reconnect at Login" box a la windows drive mapping would be sweet. :rolleyes:
Yes, finder improvements are a must. I want, like you, better network shares, and tighter integration of Spotlight into the finder (easier to use smart folders, multiple finder windows that self organize, whatever else those crafty Apple software engineers can think of).

Dunno about the rest, but Front Row seems like a sure thing to update. I predict more integration with the iTMS store and DVD Player. An Apple TV like interface, or at least pieces of that design, would make sense.

A redesigned Finder is a good guess, being this the midway point (10.5) we will see something completely different.
Already commented on the Finder bit, but just pointing out that 10.5 doesn't mean they are halfway through. The A.b designations in software aren't decimal numbers, they're just using the . as a separator between major and minor revision numbers. This is the fifth version of Apple's 10th OS. They could easily go to 10.10 then move right onto 10.11.

An agreement with MS and the Parallels firm to bundle Vista and Parallels with every copy of Leopard. Amazon are slashing the price of Vista, it's practically being given away anyway.

And, Leopard on a Stick - the ability to carry your OS X desktop wherever you go on a USB stick or iPod and plug it into any PC, which will then work like your Mac.

No way they'll bundle Vista... the COULD become an authorized reseller and sell it as an option, but no way it's included with Leopard. I do, however, think they will buy/license Parallels and have virtualization built into 10.5 with fast user/OS switching, full hardware GPU support, Windows in a box, Windows apps running side by side with OSX apps, without the Windows desktop, etc.

Oh, and can you show me where Vista is being massively discounted? I see it on Amazon with a ~5-10% discount, but it's still really expensive...

You can already do home directories on an external drive (like an iPod) but I'm not sure why you'd want to carry the whole OS with you? I'd like to see a setup where I can plug in my 1gb flash drive, though, and have OSX automatically copy the most needed gig from my user files over. All of my preference files, my most recently and often used documents, any apps I pre-designate to be included, any photo albums or iTunes playlists I say should be included (like you top 25 rates, 25 most played, 25 recently played, and your 'last roll' in iPhoto) for example.

MS tried to do something kinda sorta like that with the old Briefcase system, but with the improved metadata OSX has available it seems like it could do a much better job.

Aside from Finder and Front Row improvements, plus what we know about (Quick Look, Time Machine, Spotlight, Resolution Independent UI, etc) my best guess is that they will introduce some new input systems. Perhaps a mouse gestures based shortcut system, or improved voice command system allowing the computer to better understand natural speech.

Hm, I'm going to hold out against hope that they bundle QTP with the OS now, since they are adding more and more media features which need people to be able to do video conversions, etc.

I'm not holding my breath for them to integrate iLife and iWork into the OS. They get $160 or so for each user who buys those, and most people will get one or both. Why would they cut those sales, or increase the price of the OS and cut potential OS updates for those who just want the OS? Makes no sense. Most I can see is them doing a package of all three for a discount. Say $199 for all of them, assuming the standard $129 for Leopard, $79 each for iLife and iWork separately.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
Bumptop style "weighted" and dynamic icons. Picture icons are still thumbnails of the image, but when opened, instead of just appearing as an original size image, the icon will dynamically resize up to original size of the picture.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Bumptop style "weighted" and dynamic icons. Picture icons are still thumbnails of the image, but when opened, instead of just appearing as an original size image, the icon will dynamically resize up to original size of the picture.

I'm not sure exactly what Bumptop is, but you made think that they could/should give OS objects weight, and surface texture that would change how they interact based on some sort of physics model. Just as an example, things that you "pick up" for drag and drop could have increased "friction" when you move over areas that they can be dropped onto, slowing them down and making them change in appearance somehow.

Not sure how you would make that useful, but it seems like the next step in UI (after doing 3d compositing for obvious visual layering and transparency as OSX does) would be making the elements move realistically. Shrug.

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
I forgot to put it in the poll but I am guessing that Apple might be making an interface emulator (similar to W.I.N.E. which runs on Linux) in order for Windows programs to run on the Mac with the least resources and with the easiest transition between Windows programs and OS X Applications. I would really like that because with W.I.N.E., purchasing Windows wouldn't be necessary to run programs designed for Windows on a Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.