Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I've been using Leopard since the GM was released on Usenet. I don't want to debate the legality of it, basically it came down to timing: I had three days off this week (Wednesday-Friday), I had pre-ordered Leopard from Apple but since it was scheduled to arrive on Friday, I figured my time off would be much better spent installing Leopard on Wednesday and having a few days to play around with it, rather than waiting until today. I had already purchased Leopard from Apple so I basically just got two days early. Is that ethical? Whatever - I certainly didn't lose any sleep over it. ;)

Anyway I started off by completely wiping my drive and doing a clean install. But now that I've had a few days to use Leopard, I'm sorry to say that I'm more than a little disappointed - in fact I kind of wish I could go back to Tiger.

The biggest problem I've had is not actually Apple's fault, but it's still a problem that started only after installing Leopard: Lightroom 1.2's performance in Leopard is absolutely ABYSMAL when using the "Automatically write changes to XMP" function; it worked just fine in Tiger. I had installed LR in Tiger when my iMac first arrived, and I was blown out by how fast it was - light years ahead of my old Windows rig. After installing again in Leopard and re-importing the same image library, it just crawls. iStat Nano shows it using 100% of one of my cores, even still it it unusably slow. Bringing up a folder in LR which contains 11 .PSDs, it takes about three minutes for LR to display the 11 thumbnails clearly. Three minutes!! Obviously a big problem, hopefully one that Adobe will fix soon. I don't know how they could've let this happen in the first place, it's not like they haven't had access to all of the developer builds so far, and I can't image Apple changing things so drastically in the GM version - whatever. Big disappointment.

Now on to Leopard itself. Please bear in mind that this is my first Mac, and that I only had about two weeks of experience with Tiger before installing Leopard. In those two weeks I didn't have a single problem with OSX or any of my apps, so maybe I was just lucky. Unfortunately I've had numerous app crashes in Leopard (mainly Finder) so hopefully Apple will take care of it soon.

CoverFlow/QuickView: I love these features, they're probably the two features in Leopard I was looking forward to the most. The good news is that they work really well, most of the time. Unfortunately they also hang/crash Finder quite a bit (this behavior is very easy to duplicate) and so I have to say that they have really been a let down. QuickView seems to randomly choke on PSD documents ... It appears to be random but the same files crash Finder every time. Nothing special about the files, some were made on my WindowsXP machine, others on the iMac - I always keep "Maximize Compatibility" turned on in Photoshop, so that's not it. I don't know. There is no error message of any kind, but activating QuickView on any of these documents cause Finder to crash, every time. Preview also crashes when trying to open the 'bad' documents as well, although Photoshop can open them just fine. It's very odd - I've got dozens of PSDs in a folder, half of them show thumbnail previews, the others don't, half of them can be QuickView'd and the other half can't. All of them are from the same shoot, all of them were processed at the same time and on the same computer. So, what's the problem? :mad: BTW, if anyone wants to try this out for themselves, I've uploaded one 'problem' PSD to my site, you can download it here: Finder crasher (2MB ZIP)

Stacks: I am terribly disappointed with Apple on this one; sacrificing usability for the sake of eye-candy (that doesn't even work that well!) is pretty pathetic, IMO. There are three things I absolutely hate about Stacks.

First, the Stacks icon in the dock shows not only the folder, but the first item in the folder as well. For example, if you place your Utilities folder in the dock, you'll see a blue folder icon and on top of that, the Activity Monitor icon. Well, maybe that's ok for most people, but I can't stand it!! I like to be able to customize my icons, and since the Stacks icon in the dock always shows one icon overlayed on top of another, customization is not possible. :mad:

Second: In Tiger, right-clicking a folder in the dock showed a list of the folder's contents; mousing over a subfolder automatically expanded it to the right - a proper, hierarchal view. So if you had your Applications folder in the dock (for example) you could launch any application in two clicks, even if that application was buried in a subfolder somewhere. Kind of like how Adobe insists on installing Photoshop in a folder called 'Adobe Photoshop' in the Applications folder, instead of putting Photoshop.app directly in the Applications folder with everything else.

That was Tiger, where folders in the dock were easy to navigate, the list view popping up instantly with a right-click. Now on to Leopard, where Stacks has made the same tasks a major PITA. Opening a stack in grid view is pretty smooth on my machine (the animation, I mean) but once it's open, I'm only able to see some of the items in the folder (if there are too many) and if any of the items are folders, clicking on them simply opens the folder in Finder. What's the point of that? So back to my Photoshop example: if I have my Applications folder in the dock and I want to launch Photoshop, I have to click on the stack, find the Adobe Photoshop folder and click on it, at which point the stack window closes and a new Finder window appears showing the contents of the Adobe Photoshop folder, where I can then click on Photoshop.app to launch it. Oh, and then I have to close the new Finder window. What a convoluted PITA!! In Tiger, the same process was a two-click affair - simple and quick. Now it takes twice as many clicks and a heck of a lot more time. Maybe Stacks are nice for some situations, but at least give people the option to revert to the old, efficient method of using folders in the dock.

The new menu bar: I've disabled this new "feature" by adding a window title bar strip (from a screenshot) to the top of my favorite wallpaper, because straight out-of-the-box, I found it annoying as hell. The problem isn't that it doesn't look cool when your wallpaper is visible, it's that when you open a window fullscreen, the menu bar looks terrible next to the smooth metal window title bar directly underneath it. Maybe a minor thing for most people, and it's relatively easy to fix - I just shouldn't have to fix it.

I guess that's it for my Leopard rant. I hope Apple takes care of the problem with Finder crashing with QuickView/CoverFlow because they're really useful features that I'd love to use. Has anyone else been having any Leopard problems like these ... ?

DoreanGrae

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
New York, NY
Adobe products are currently known to be not fully Leopard-compatible. That'll be fixed very soon. That's why Lightroom is horrible and is likely the source of your PSD issues as well.

You can kinda customize a Stacks icon by creating a new folder in the stack and naming it " ". Put whatever icon you want on the folder and that'll show up first. If you're bothered by having to go into submenus to open Photoshop (which you would have to do with Tiger as well), create an Alias and drop that in your Applications folder. One click to open the Stack, one click on the alias to open PS.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Remember its a .0 release, they're bound to have bugs. Tiger was near unusable in its 10.4 form, the reports I hear from Leopard are much more encouraging than Tiger was! Issues with 3rd party apps will no doubt be resolved, although Adobe aren't exactly lightening fast in that respect.

Its a shame that Apple took out the hierarchical folder access from the Dock, I'm sure to simplify the stacks concept (i.e. so as not to have 2 types of folder in the taskbar). I must admit I didn't use the folder access much, usually because it was quicker to find stuff with Spotlight, and those hierarchical did seem awfully like the horrible Windows "Start" Menu!

If Leopard is like Tiger, we'll see an evolution of features in the first few point releases based on user feedback (rather than just bug fixes), so hopefully some of your gripes will be addressed.

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
I'm disappointed I can't even use it today, because Migration Assistant is moving files from my external drive. And guess what: it tells me that the operation is going to take over 12 hours! How can it take so long to move 20 GB stuff over USB 2.0? :(

jehrler

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
Remember its a .0 release, they're bound to have bugs. Tiger was near unusable in its 10.4 form, the reports I hear from Leopard are much more encouraging than Tiger was! Issues with 3rd party apps will no doubt be resolved, although Adobe aren't exactly lightening fast in that respect.

Its a shame that Apple took out the hierarchical folder access from the Dock, I'm sure to simplify the stacks concept (i.e. so as not to have 2 types of folder in the taskbar). I must admit I didn't use the folder access much, usually because it was quicker to find stuff with Spotlight, and those hierarchical did seem awfully like the horrible Windows "Start" Menu!

If Leopard is like Tiger, we'll see an evolution of features in the first few point releases based on user feedback (rather than just bug fixes), so hopefully some of your gripes will be addressed.

According to a post on ArsTechnica, if you create an alias of a folder, drag it into the dock and then delete the alias you get the functionality of how Folders worked in the old Dock.

Haven't got mine yet so haven't been able to confirm.

Mindcrime

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Houston, Texas
The Stacks feature sounds like a real mess. I put all sorts of folders on my dock and use the right-click pop up menus all the time in 10.4.

Retired
May 16, 2006
The Stacks feature sounds like a real mess. I put all sorts of folders on my dock and use the right-click pop up menus all the time in 10.4.

Surely some of the Leopard designers do too! I'm amazed that this isn't an option...

Zawamura

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2007
Sweden
I'm disappointed I can't even use it today, because Migration Assistant is moving files from my external drive. And guess what: it tells me that the operation is going to take over 12 hours! How can it take so long to move 20 GB stuff over USB 2.0? :(

Just moved 190gb over usb2, took 4hours. So it shouldn't take 12hours for you ^^

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
I really miss the slideshow feature in the Finder and Mail. Yeah, I know we've got Quicklook but it just doesn't seem quite as functional for viewing a folder full of photos without some keyboard shortcuts (f for full screen, a for actual size, i for index sheet). Seems strange to me that there's a shortcut (Command - y) to close Quicklook, but not to go full screen :(

But it's all pretty snappy on my old PowerBook ;)

espoir

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007
OMG - the psd-file you left for download completly crashed my Leopard - after download's been completed and auto-unpacked into Downloads folder the hole desktop restarded twice, dock has gone (it no longer there:) and cpu fan went crazy ))))))))))))... The dock appeared again only after I managed to trash the file :)

you should definetly send this file as a post-card to Apple :)

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
According to a post on ArsTechnica, if you create an alias of a folder, drag it into the dock and then delete the alias you get the functionality of how Folders worked in the old Dock.

Haven't got mine yet so haven't been able to confirm.

Hmm, I just tried it and right clicking the alias in the dock just brings up a menu 'Remove from dock, show in Finder, etc' ... I was really excited there for a minute ... :(

Kan-O-Z

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
It is USB 2, I'm sure (it even reads on the side of the retail box). The external drive is a 500 GB LaCie (F.A. Porsche Design).

Are you sure you have a USB 2.0 cable? If you don't then there is your problem.

Kan-O-Z

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Are you sure you have a USB 2.0 cable? If you don't then there is your problem.

Kan-O-Z
There is no such thing as a "USB 2.0 cable". If the device and computer support USB 2.0 and the cable between them plugs into both devices, then its attached as USB 2.0.

jehrler

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
Hmm, I just tried it and right clicking the alias in the dock just brings up a menu 'Remove from dock, show in Finder, etc' ... I was really excited there for a minute ... :(

Sorry 'bout that.

Here is the description from ArsTechnica:

However, create an alias for whatever folder you don't want a stack for, and drag that to the dock. Delete the original alias, and you'll have a folder on the dock, that isn't a stack.

Maybe you can at least drag and drop on it? :-/

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
OMG - the psd-file you left for download completly crashed my Leopard - after download's been completed and auto-unpacked into Downloads folder the hole desktop restarded twice, dock has gone (it no longer there:) and cpu fan went crazy ))))))))))))... The dock appeared again only after I managed to trash the file :)

Uh oh - sorry mate! It didn't do anything that drastic on my machine, Finder just crashes (and immediately restarts) when I try to view it in QuickView. Opening it in Preview has the same effect (Preview crashes) ... Is everything OK now?

Anyway if you open it up in Photoshop you'll see that it's just a simple, single-layered document. Nothing fancy ... no idea why it crashes Finder. Actually it's not Finder that has the problem, I think it's the fact that Preview can't read it (hence QuickView can't read it, hence the Finder crash) ...

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
Talking about stacks. I love the idea of the download stack. Sort them by date and with a quick click you have easy access to all your latest downloads. You only ever want to see the latest of your downloads anyway.

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
There is no such thing as a "USB 2.0 cable". If the device and computer support USB 2.0 and the cable between them plugs into both devices, then its attached as USB 2.0.

Not necessarily. USB cables are always marked as being USB2.0 ready/capable if they are in fact USB2.0 cables. Dunno if it's a lack of shielding or whatever on the older cables, but it is possible (apparently) to suffer reduced throughput if you use older cables with a USB2.0 device.

espoir

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007

Oh there is! USB 2.0 cable is always thicker and has other power requierements.

espoir

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007
Uh oh - sorry mate! It didn't do anything that drastic on my machine, Finder just crashes (and immediately restarts) when I try to view it in QuickView. Opening it in Preview has the same effect (Preview crashes) ... Is everything OK now?

Anyway if you open it up in Photoshop you'll see that it's just a simple, single-layered document. Nothing fancy ... no idea why it crashes Finder. Actually it's not Finder that has the problem, I think it's the fact that Preview can't read it (hence QuickView can't read it, hence the Finder crash) ...

It's ok :) Glad to help you confirm the situation

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Maybe you can at least drag and drop on it? :-/

Yeah, I guess that's it. Clicking the icon just opens the folder in Finder without the fancy Stacks garbage, but right-clicking doesn't bring up the Tiger-style list view. That's the part I was really hoping for. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.