Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omnibahumut

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2007
I have the same problem. The only thing that seems to really off set that is if I set the display to never sleep. For whatever reason it seems to prevent the display from dimming. I know thats not a great option, but it works for watching movies or reading for now.

bashi

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2007
Hey, this worked for me on my 17" MBP. Go to displays and scale back the resolution. Anywhere in the 1280 range should be good. Click "Detect Displays" once for good measure to make sure it's not trying to find your secondary display, then install. Mine came right up, bright and clear as day. Peace!

I thought it worked, but it did not...

rosh325

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
In the ether
I have this problem as well and I am worried it will slip by the engineers trying to debug Leopard. What worries me is that there was never a fix for the older problem in Tiger where the screen would dim (I know that is a separate issue, the point is that it wasn't fixed except for a cop-out work around)

rosh325

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
In the ether
Has anybody with this problem sent a bug report to Apple? Either through the ADC bug report or through the OS X feedback site (assuming that even does anything).

bigiffo

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2007
Go into the terminal.
MacHD --> Applications --> Utilities --> Terminal

Type

Code:
 sudo pmset -a halfdim 0

The screen will no longer dim
You may be asked to type you password in. Do so. It will not show up in the terminal!

In Absentia

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2007
Go into the terminal.
MacHD --> Applications --> Utilities --> Terminal

Type

Code:
 sudo pmset -a halfdim 0

The screen will no longer dim
You may be asked to type you password in. Do so. It will not show up in the terminal!

That seems to have worked. Thanks! Hopefully it will survive a reboot.

philbeeney

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
Vankleek Hill
I installed Leopard on launch day on my 3 year old 17" PowerBook and I get the same problem. After about a minute of no activity the screen dims even though my settings say put the screen to sleep after 15 minutes of no activity.

This problem didn't occur with Panther.

zeester

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2007
Vancouver
picture1vc8.png

I solved my problems by unchecking the "Automatically adjust brightness" option.

Thanks very much brewno, this worked well for me... Before this, I was getting dizzy with the screen going through a continuous cycle of dimming and brightening and dimming again...

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Thanks very much brewno, this worked well for me... Before this, I was getting dizzy with the screen going through a continuous cycle of dimming and brightening and dimming again...

That's a separate issue...not even a bug.

This thread is addressing an actual bug in Leopard. I am experiencing it as well. There is a growing thread at Apple Discussions on this as well. I've filed a bug report to Apple and crossed my fingers.

The thing that really sucks about this is that the display will cut out while watching a video in a web browser...thankfully I haven't had it happen while watching DVDs though.

rosh325

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
In the ether
Apple Responds

After writing a thorough bug report via ADC, I received the following from Apple:

"This is a follow up to Bug ID# 5591191. After further investigation it has been determined that this is a known issue, which is currently being investigated by engineering. This issue has been filed in our bug database under the original Bug ID# 5533463. The original bug number being used to track this duplicate issue can be found in the State column, in this format: Duplicate/OrigBug#."

I guess that's good news

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
After writing a thorough bug report via ADC, I received the following from Apple:

"This is a follow up to Bug ID# 5591191. After further investigation it has been determined that this is a known issue, which is currently being investigated by engineering. This issue has been filed in our bug database under the original Bug ID# 5533463. The original bug number being used to track this duplicate issue can be found in the State column, in this format: Duplicate/OrigBug#."

I guess that's good news

Thanks for posting this

sal

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2007
I experienced the same problem you and others have described, on both tiger and leopard. My screens' backlight would go off 3 or 4 minutes(it goes dark but you can barely make out the screen). It didn't matter what i did with the energy saver settings, problem persisted.

After searching google endlessly and reading what others have to say, I came across a solution that worked for me.

You start off by deleting your energy savings preferences. Restarting your machine. Set your energy savings to better performance THEN using terminal, you set your sleep to 0, autodim to 0, disksleep to 0, and displaysleep to 0. You might also disable your screen saver. I have mine for 15 minutes.

Do not mess with your energy settings anymore.

The drawback to this, is your screen will NEVER go to sleep and according to apple, "never letting your display sleep may shorten it's life"

I always just close the lid on my machine, so this isn't an issue. I also have a shortcut key(thanks quicksilver) to sleep my machine. I haven't experimenting with setting the sleep to something like 30 minutes because everytime I do, the problem returns and I have to do all of the previous steps again.

conclusion
I think a lot of it had to do with corrupt energy saver settings and possibly a bug that corrupts your settings if you mess around with the energy savings settings. The workaround as I described is trashign the preferences and changing the energy saver settings via terminal.(Turning off sleep, dim, sleepdisplay)

taphil

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2007
The problem remains in 10.5.1. It's really annoying when watching NBC online or other videos, in which the screen will dim or go black (depending on your setting) so you have to move the mouse or hit a key every few minutes.

pur3h8r3d

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2007
The problem remains in 10.5.1. It's really annoying when watching NBC online or other videos, in which the screen will dim or go black (depending on your setting) so you have to move the mouse or hit a key every few minutes.

The update actually fixed the issue for me. That was the first thing I tested whenever I applied the update.

osx'r

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2007
The update actually fixed the issue for me. That was the first thing I tested whenever I applied the update.

You're lucky - the update didn't fix it for me (tried deleting the plist and the other configuration settings as recommended).

Only solution thus far is to set the display to never sleep (as others have reported).

pur3h8r3d

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2007
You're lucky - the update didn't fix it for me (tried deleting the plist and the other configuration settings as recommended).

Only solution thus far is to set the display to never sleep (as others have reported).

Ok so I lied... Unintentionally. I guess it only worked when I tested it because when I took it to class it did it again. So yea I guess I will be waiting for the bug fix.

PJM

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2007
I have the same problem in my one-week-old MBP and it is really annoying. I was very happy because the yellowing screen issue was not present, but I honestly think this issue is worse.

Hopefully, Apple will fix this in few days.

eznug

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2007
I have the same issue aswell on my MBP 2.4
I hve gotten alittle lucky and actually got a casenumber with Apple Support here in sweden

They have let me tried a few things such as conencting the laptop to an external monitor and tv.

same problem appears here but the tv an external monitor still shows the desktop.
Also I have captured data and sent it to them.

As soon as I know more I will return and post here.

Best regards Björn

slefkoff

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2007
chime in

Just thought I'd chime in because I'm having the same problem - and am also pretty glad more people have it (bittersweet, I guess)....

S

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
I'll be the second to revive this old thread just to mention that I have this same issue. I am using a PB 15in FW800.

As mentioned above, it was logged as a bug, and hopefully the patch is in the upcoming 10.5.2.

sal

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2007
for those experiencing the problem, have you tried any of the suggestions on this thread?

Lukeintosh

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2008
Yes i think i have the same problem. Im moving my finger on the trackpad and then all of a sudden the screen turns off. I can turn it on my touching the trackpad...
Is this a bug?

Lukeintosh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.