Leopard on an iBook G4 - Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by steelphantom, Oct 24, 2007.

1. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

I have an aging iBook (1.33gHz G4, 1GB RAM) and I'm wondering if I should even bother upgrading to Leopard. I guess I should wait to see what other people's experiences are, but I'm just curious. Will Leopard take up too much of my poor iBook's resources? I don't even want to buy it if it's going to run much slower than Tiger.

2. otis123 macrumors 6502a

aging? i have the same model (but with 1.5GB of ram) this machine is well above the requirements for 10.5, i plan on upgrading and from what i've heard PowerPC machines actually gain speed with leopard, i think its totally worth it

3. DanB91 macrumors 6502

of course its worth it!! i have the same exact model too. im getting leopard first day! i cant wait :)

4. The Man macrumors 6502

And my old 1 Ghz iBook?

How about a 1 GHz iBook with 1.12 GB RAM?

As excited I am about Leopard, I'm hesitant to upgrade. Maybe my iBook will run it, technically, but I also ocasionally use apps like Final Cut on it. I don't want Leopard to suck my RAM and processor dry and leave nothing left for these apps.

Maybe it's time to upgrade my Mac, but I won't have the money until maybe late next year. I really haven't been more excited about a Mac OS X release in years.

5. dborja macrumors 6502a

I'm buying a family pack to upgrade my Intel iMac, son's Macbook and my G4 iBook (1.5GB). From what I understand, it will work fine and even improve my iBook's performance... Since I need the family pack anyway for the iMac and the Macbook, I might as well throw it on my iBook; if it doesn't work well on the iBook, I'll just reinstall Tiger from the recovery disk that came with it...:)

6. steelphantom thread starter macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

Well, it seems like most of you think that Leopard will actually run better than Tiger on an iBook. I think I'll still wait and see how things go for those who do upgrade before I decide whether to buy Leopard.

7. dborja macrumors 6502a

Sounds good. Bump this thread on Saturday if you want and I'll provide initial impressions of Leopard performance on my iBook (1.33 GHz, 1.5 GB)... :)

8. bdorpetzl macrumors regular

bdorpetzl

Port Washington, Wisconsin - Boats and Beer . . .
    I plan on upgrading my wife's similarly configured iBook to Leopard. I'm sure it will work like a charm.

9. JoeCanadian macrumors member

Thanks dborja

Thanks dborja. I have the exact same iBook; the last version of the iBook G4 1.33 GHz with 1.5 GB of memory. I look forward to hearing your experiences with Leopard.

10. dborja macrumors 6502a

Will do. I'm about to install in a few minutes. I'll post initial results tomorrow morning.

I bought the family pack and was able to talk myself into three shirts! My wife, our son and I will be advertising Leopard tomorrow!:)

11. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

installed on my ibook early today...absolutely flies, definitely recommended
    The menu bar isn't transparent, time machine background doesn't 'move' but other than that it's nice and speedy.

12. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

wouldnt final cut run slow regardless

13. California macrumors 68040

California

What iBook do you have, Sky Blue?

14. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

I'm running Leopard on the computer in my sig and it runs faster than Tiger. CS2 runs silk smooth too.

15. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

14 inch 1.33 G4
    1.25 GB RAM

I did an erase and install too.

16. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

Anyone on a last-gen iBook (the one with the Radeon 9550)? Is the menu bar transparent / does Time Machine have the moving background? Other impressions?

17. rolex54 macrumors 6502

i have that exact model
    the menu bar is partially transparent just like this one http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1722115312&size=o
    i honestly havnt even used time machine yet because i am still taking things off my external hard drive which had the backup on it.

18. The Man macrumors 6502

Yes, what's your point? If it runs, it runs. Editing works great. Some effects need long rendering times. But I do not have the luxury to be picky. If Final Cut runs on my 1 GHz iBook, why not? I'm just using it to learn the app. When I upgrade my Mac later next year, I will have mastered Final Cut editing. That's the only thing that counts. Besides, a little inconvenience of speed only makes you more determined and lets you learn to be efficient with whatever tools you get.

19. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

If you're not doing anything too demanding, Leopard on a G4 with 512mb RAM is fine (running off of an iPod no less!). Give it 1.5gigs and I think it'll fly

20. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

Anyone install on a 1ghz Aluminum Powerbook yet?

I want to upgrade but really don't want this already aging machine to feel any older as its my primary home mac.

However, I'm tempted to run leopard since i'm upgrading my G5 powermac at work and regularly sync the two.

21. Whoshnot macrumors member

I have heard of someone who managed to install Leopard on a 800 mhz iMac, thus UNDER the requirement of minimum 867. So I guess an iBook at 1.33 Ghz will run Leopard just fine...

22. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

Leopard flies on my Powerbook G4 - 1 gb ram 1.5ghz processor.

23. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Since I just read about the advanced parental controls on Leopard, I'm considering putting Leopard on my daughter's 1.07ghz iBook! :D

24. fideli macrumors newbie

It's good to hear that iBooks are doing well. I have an iBook G4 1.2 GHz with 1.25 GB of RAM (maxed out). When Tiger came out, I read somewhere about the technical details (maybe Ars?) where they mentioned that every iteration of OS X actually runs faster on older hardware, rather than the other way around. So I'm looking forward to a speed bump after installation.

25. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

anyone with a 1GHz 768Meg RAM iBook?

waiting...