Leopard or Snow Leopard on PC

Discussion in 'macOS' started by whitedragon101, Jun 21, 2009.

1. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

Background

I have used PCs for years. I did a degree in Comp Sci and never even touched a Mac just Windows and Linux. I always thought of them as pretty looking but slow and unable to run anything.

However with the new Macs that run on intel and use NVidia chips they ARE a PC they simply run a different operating system. I massively prefer Leopard to the car crash that is vista and it seems that Snow Leopard will just nail the coffin shut.

A year ago I bought a Unibody macbook pro but I am thinking I would like at some point a monster desktop machine, (mainly for games). But that mac pro's are horrendously expensive and very limited in what you can put in them. I can built a PC which would destroy a Mac Pro in benchmarks for HALF the price or less.

The Question

If I built a monster PC could I dual boot Windows and Leopard or Snow Leopard or will the games PC forever be a windows machine?

2. celticpride678

To answer your question, yes! However, it would be illegal and difficult to make it work.

3. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Yeah it is illegal but at the end of the day, you'll do what you want.

Search the term "Hackintosh" to figure out a way to do it. I know you can put Leopard on it but Snow Leopard won't be able to unless weeks/months after it's official release.

4. whitedragon101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think games are the last vestige of the Windows PC. I wonder I Apple have any plans to take them on in the future. They do seem to continually ignore games hardware across the board. Not a single gaming Video card found in any Mac, even as an option.

I think I'll send a huge basket of fruit to apple asking for them to enable the hybrid SLI in my Macbook Pro. NVidia designed it to run hybrid SLI and the Windows laptops run it, but apple don't seem to have even bothered enabling it in the software. Tusk tusk tusk.....

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Sorry, I'll stop this thread right now.

It's not illegal. Buy a retail copy of (Snow) Leopard and then do what you want to do. It's illegal if you don't buy the real thing, of course, but purchase a copy and Hackintosh away.

6. pjmburg macrumors newbie

^
    Actually it IS illegal. In Leopard's license agreement, it specifically states that it must be installed on an Apple-branded computer. Granted, I don't think you'll get sued or something either way, and I wouldn't let it stop me. ;)

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Actually it is. From the Leopard EULA (PDF):

There's the same thing in the Tiger, Jaguar, and OS 9 EULAs as listed on Apple's Legal page. So unless it's made by Apple, Inc. you can't legally install Leopard (and Tiger, and presumably SL) on it.

There's this thing called "knowing what you're talking about"- please try it or at least do some cursory research before you make arrogant posts.

8. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I reckon if you wanna game, get a console. They are much cheaper to run, they have a proper input method (controller pad instead of the keyboard), they are cheaper, they are easier to maintain, and the games have been designed to run on specific hardware.

just to put an end to it, can you please find the quote in the EULA stating it is illegal? already answered above :eek:

9. whitedragon101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trouble is the games I like are either FPS (first person shooter) or RTS (real time strategy). The only way to play them is on a PC (mouse an keyboard). I feel I may have to have a PC and just think of it as a very expensive console. If Windows 7 lacks the nauseating awfulness of Vista maybe there is hope that I can use it for other things than games (but I have my doubts).

I think its only just occurred to me that its important to have a Mac alternative as I do like the way I can just knock together a PC myself to the exact specs I want quite cheaply. It would be nice if MSoft gave us a nice operating system to run on it :p

10. cainnovacaine macrumors regular

cainnovacaine

The EULA doesn't make it illegal, per se. It makes it a violation of the software licensing agreement and Apple does have course to take legal action in civil court. Its not quite the same, and its a bitch to challenge. In all likelihood, Apple isn't going to go after you in the same way the RIAA would go after you for downloading music. The EULA isn't quite as solid as full copyright law, unless you are using an illegally obtained version of Leopard.

Once Apple starts challenging individuals, you'll know, and its my bet they will go after the Kalaway Leopard crowd long before they come after someone who purchased a copy of their operating system.

11. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

The Hackintosh (OSx86) folks have gotten really good at getting OS X to run on various PC's. Do a little research and go for it.

I have a PC I built specifically to run a single application. It's a beast for the most part, but I didn't see the point having the machine lying around underutilized. I just spent a few days researching it and about a day experimenting with different configurations, and I have it going now.

The latests video cards are supported for the most part, as well as the latest CPU's and major motherboards (with Intel / NVidia chipsets). It's a little reading and research to get it going, but it works great once you have it running. I can't say that's always the case, but I'm pretty happy with mine so far.

12. kasakka macrumors 65816

In my experience the few games that are also available for OSX run noticeably slower than on Windows. I'm running both OSX and Windows 7 on my PC and for example Call of Duty 4 runs better on Windows. It's not that it runs poorly on OSX, just smoother on the Windows side.

When it comes to the OS, I might as well use OSX or Win7. I like both a lot and both have their pluses and minuses. My "Hackintosh" runs very nicely, the only thing that doesn't work is sleep (won't wake up properly). And yes, it does trounce all but the 8 core Mac Pros in tests.

13. gorjan macrumors 6502

The EULA isn't the law. Why do people think that? Apple can sue you, but I highly doubt they'd bother, and besides the EULA has never been tried in court.

Also in Norway at least the EULA is worthless as it's a contract you sign after you have purchased the software. For it to be binding in any way you should be presented with it and sign it/agree to it before you hand over the money. It's like you buy a car from me and give me the money, but then I say HA-HA, you must now sign this contract that forbiddes you to change the car stereo (or what ever).

As Tallest Skil says, as long as you purchase a copy leaglly you can do whatever you want with it.

14. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Stopped again. Buy a retail copy of Leopard, and do what you want to do, as long as it is not against the license that Leopard comes with. You can read the license without purchasing MacOS X by typing "MacOS X license" into Google. The license states very, very clearly that you are allowed to install a single copy of MacOS X on a single Apple-labeled computer.

Now it looks like unlike the RIAA which wants to charge you $1.92 million for copying songs, Apple doesn't prosecute anyone unless they do this on a commercial scale, but that doesn't make it less illegal.

The EULA doesn't say "it is illegal to do this", it says "you are allowed to make copies in the following situations". With software, any use of the software typically requires copying, and copying is only allowed if you have a license that allows it, or a specific law that allows it. Installing the software on a PC requires copying, and that is illegal unless allowed by the license.

In general, contracts are not law, but they are controlled by law, and what happens if you enter a contract and don't follow the terms of a contract is controlled by law.

15. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

I haven't seen any Snow Leopard hackintoshes yet. Who knows how long it will take them to write proper drivers and kernels once it comes out. I'm sure they've looked at it. And my own experience is that, yes, games run better on Windows than OSX, even ones written for both.

This EULA thing isn't a law, its not comparable to music where there are actual laws protecting the record executives' fortunes artists.

16. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It's called contract law. In opening the shrinkwrap of MacOS X, you are entering into a contract governed by the EULA. If you install MacOS X on non-Apple hardware, then you are knowingly violating your contract. You can be sued civil court. There is no doubt that Apple will win a judgment against you plus substantial damages. Your attorney will receive substantial fees also.

Your only defense is that you are difficult to find. What is not difficult to find is MacRumors.com. Fansites like this one operate within certain boundaries. They cannot violate the law nor can they permit others to do so. If people thinking like you get their way, then this site will find itself slapped with an injunction filed by Apple Legal. That's if it's lucky. The owner of the site could possibly receive an adverse financial judgment.

Long story short: Every member of this forum could be hurt because a few twits believe that "EULA isn't the law."

17. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

They are out there, but they aren't spoken about publicly... You won't see it until Snow Leopard is officially released.

The OSx86 community does respect Apples Non-Disclosures on Beta software.