Leopard performance on G4 Powerbooks (early reports: excellent)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rpp3po, Oct 25, 2007.

1. rpp3po macrumors regular

It won't probably be any faster at number crunching or encoding tasks, but UI speed and flow is unbelievable! With only 768 MB RAM Leopard delivers absolutely instant UI experience anywhere. That's what I wanted my user interface to be like ever since BeOS! Even my 3Ghz 2 GB RAM Vista PC still has to access the hard disk sometimes when popping up the start menu or windows. As if this couldn't be done better in times of Ghz machines.............. Nothing, not a fraction of a second lag anywhere with Leopard. Even much better than Tiger, which was also fast, but at least on old machines you had sometimes to wait a second for a folder's contents to appear (like "Utilities" when you hadn't used it for a long time).

Additionally Safari 3 is the fastest browser I have ever used (page rendering speed). Again faster than Firefox on my 3 Ghz machine. Safari stutters a little bit while scrolling though, that must be fixed. It didn't do that on Tiger.

All this on top of this gorgeous looking UI... Great work, Apple!

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Thanks for the report. I'm going to install first on my PBG4 1.25 so your report in encouraging.

3. The Man macrumors 6502

What kind of PowerBook? Titanium, Aluminum? I have a 1 GHz iBook, but bus speed is only 133 MHz and G4 L2 cache is only 256 KB + only 32 MB ATI 9200 graphics.

4. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

This is definately exciting news. I'm still a bit skeptical about installing this on my 1.25ghz powerbook because I feel that the processor will be taxed so much more while performing the same tasks I do on Tiger. I do want to hear of more G4 reports

5. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

can't wait to try in on my pre 867's. They could use a boost.

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah, now that will be interesting

7. rpp3po thread starter macrumors regular

It's a 12" Al, 133 Mhz FSB.

I think Leopard adjusts to your specs to a certain degree. On thing I noticed, for example: my menubar is not transparent on the PowerBook, but it is on the iMac.

Even PDF coverflow works without the tiniest bit of stuttering. It's unbelievable! On a 1 Ghz machine!! I don't find my experiences reflected in most available reviews, yet. They just focus on features and seem all testing on rather fast machines. In my opinion the low level advancements under the hood are much more outstanding than anything else. Man, you can flip through 30 PDF's fullscreen in less than 10 secs in Quickview! I just went through my bank records to find a transaction.

Just wow!

8. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

that's a significant finding. worthy of its own thread.

9. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

does your computer support core image? could that be related?

10. Queso macrumors G4

Now I'm tempted to buy another copy for my PowerBook :(

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

This is good news, I was probably going to put leopard on my 1.33Ghz powerbook eventually but I will for sure now since I have been hearing mostly good reports about it.

12. rpp3po thread starter macrumors regular

It does support Core Image and Quartz extreme, so the adjustment must be related to something else:

GeForce FX Go5200 32MB:

Chipset Model: GeForce FX Go5200 32MB
    Type: Display
    Bus: AGP
    VRAM (Total): 32 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0329
    Revision ID: 0x00a3
    ROM Revision: 2069.1
    Displays:
    Color LCD:
    Display Type: LCD
    Resolution: 1024 x 768
    Depth: 32-bit Color
    Built-In: Yes
    Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Quartz Extreme: Supported
    Display Connector:

13. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

Interesting.

Yes, what are the graphics specs?

edit: nevermind

14. The Man macrumors 6502

Okay, almost the same specs then! Only difference is that you have the NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 and I the ATI Mobility Radeon 9200. If you say that it runs great on your PowerBook, then my iBook should be no problem.

So does it show the reflection in the Dock on your PowerBook? Or is that too disabled?

15. Lord Sandwich macrumors regular

Thanks for the word, I'm now excited for my "underpowered" C2D Mac Mini. :D

16. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

I wasn't going to install it on my Powerbook but if you think its better I will, thank goodness I will have the family pack!

17. The Man macrumors 6502

Yes, that's strange. Your card does indeed support hardware accelerated Core Image. My iBook ATI 9200 does not, however. So the fast UI on your PowerBook could still be because you have hardware accelerated Core Image. I will have to see how fast the interface will be without.

18. rpp3po thread starter macrumors regular

It does. But I don't think it's computationally very demanding. It shows just a cropped area of your window upside down and filtered to be a little lighter, scrolling smoothly into the opposite directions of your movement. You need just simple 2D arithmetics to accomplish that. Maybe higher spec'ed machines show fancier effects here (like actually 3D rendered mirrored traffic lights instead of plain upside down versions).

19. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

quick question: what's the difference between "supported" and "hardware accelerated?"

Attached Files:

20. ksz macrumors 68000

Yay, this is really encouraging. Another G4 PowerBook owner here, but with 1.25GHz and 1GB memory! Old and outdated specs, I know, but due for a makeover -- I'll replace the 80GB HD and do a clean install of Leopard.

21. rpp3po thread starter macrumors regular

As before, don't be disappointed if it is slow right after installing. That's just spotlight. After that is done it will take off.

22. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Original poster - did you do a new clean install, or an upgrade or an archive and install?

I have a similar 12-inch Powerbook. Same graphics card, 1.5 GHZ G4, and 1.25 GB of memory.

Sounds promising! I was going to keep Tiger on the Powerbook ,but you make it sound like Leopard won't slow it down, so I may go ahead!

Thanks

23. rpp3po thread starter macrumors regular

I never do updates. Because OS X lacks proper uninstalling mechanisms any OS upgrade is a welcome opportunity get rid of the junk in the System and Library folders. I did archive and install and copied Address Book, iPhoto, and iTunes data manually to the new system.

Before installation I made sure that the filesystem hadn't collected too many excess fragments over time using hfsdebug. I defragmented about 12 large files by duplicating them and deleting the original and freed about 60 GB of HD space. You probably can't get any closer to a fresh install.

24. Ariez macrumors regular

Hmmm....thats nice to hear but how does the 1ghz PPC compared to 2ghz Intel?