Leopard Public Beta?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macsrule88, May 22, 2007.

1. macsrule88 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if the Leopard beta being relased at WWDC will be available to the public?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Only if you pay A LOT for a developer licence...

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Almost certainly not. Developers pay thousands of dollars for access to pre-release code. If Apple start making it available to the public then why would developers keep paying?

4. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

No, the only public beta for OSX was for the original, and that was 6-7 years ago. The one for leopard will only be available to ADC Select and Premium Developers.

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Exactly.

And Apple's main reason was that users could get used to running Mac OS X, and get a huge amount of feedback. I remember one of the most popular requests was to restore the Apple-menu top left on the menu bar.
    Up until and including the Public Beta there simply was a blue Apple logo centre of the menu bar, not having a function.

But, in this case.... most (if not, almost all) Mac users are used to Mac OS X, and there is no reason for a public beta. Imagine all the problems home users could encouter running such a beta (hardware drivers etc.), and trying to call Apple for assisitance... :rolleyes:

6. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Don't student developers get access to the beta builds or even the regular seeds?

How about current OS X updates (e.g. the proposed 10.4.10)?

7. tcrab macrumors member

I don't think that you will be able to get 10.5 legally. I bet that it will be leaked on the internet same day though.

8. NoOneButMe macrumors regular

Students dont get the "ADC Software Seeding Program" option when signing up, only Select and Premium do. Unless Apple just hands a copy out to everyone that goes to WWDC, student developers probably wont get a copy.

As for it leaking? I've no doubt it will leak online fairly quickly after public release - it took a few hours for the latest build to leak iirc ;)

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't think that Apple has ever offered a public beta.

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The did pre 10.0. I bought it.

11. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Eh... read about 4 or 5 posts up... :confused: ;)

12. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I don't know if this is new or not but on the bottom right of the Apple home page, the WWDC07 advert says, "The Leopard beta. Available first at WWDC."

It says first instead of only. Maybe meaning it will be available to other users besides developers?

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think that's the core of it. They don't need to do a public beta for 10.5, because it's not a high-risk launch for the user. They need developers to test it, but what's the advantage to them to give me a public beta copy?

14. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Or meaning that WWDC attendees get this beta release first. Non-attendee developers get it shortly thereafter through the normal ADC distribution.

15. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America

True dat. I guess just wishful thinking on my part as we have another five months to wait for the final release.

It's true that since 10.0 Apple has never had a public beta of an OS, on the other hand, since then, have they ever had such a lead time between OS announcement and release, let alone a delay? That could affect their decision (if there's even one to be made--entirely likely they don't even consider a public beta).

16. Yixian macrumors 65816

Any word on a leak yet? I bet we'll see one by the end of the week.

17. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Won't be too much talk about the leak over here, mate ;)

18. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

no chance - i think apple have got this sown up, and if it does appear on certain servers i'm sure apple legal will be all over it :)

19. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

In certain countries, that doesn't always work....

The last Leopard (9A410) build was leaked too, and you can still get it.

20. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

all apple need to do is make each 10.5 beta install dvd have a unique code linking the dvd install to there ADC membership, so who ever leaks it will get there asses sued

21. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

That would probably work.
    But I think that would cost alot to achieve (and I assume a hacker could get rid of this code).
    Most ADC members download a disk image of the Beta, and don't even burn it on a DVD. I don't think it would be practical to somehow get the unique code in a disk image.
    The fact that Apple haven't done it yet, makes we wonder if it is at all possible.
    And I wonder how many pirated Beta copies of Leopard are floating around, were actually installed, and if Apple is really harmed by it.

I think what they are doing now, is best. Put pressure on the 'torrent sites as much as possible (most delete the torrent right away nowadays), and if a few people get hold of it.. well, so be it.

22. macsrule88 thread starter macrumors newbie

It did say on the Apples site Leopard Beta Available first at WWDC that sounds like at a later date it will be released to the public

23. moonislune macrumors regular

I wish it was a public beta. Maybe Apple will announce a public beta before October to boost the hype! I think betas can be a great marketing tool for Apple. BootCamp did wonders. If they don't release a public beta, I'll stick to Tiger at least until October. But seriously, why download a private beta. You might not end up with the experience you were hoping for (kinda like opening presents early) IMO :).

24. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

What that means is Developers that attend the WWDC get a DVD copy first.

The disk image will be posted to the Apple Developers Connection website ONLY for those Select and Premier members probably in a week or 2.

25. afornander macrumors 6502

it will be out for the public in a week or to;) it wont be announced but, just go to google and search for it for the next week or to:rolleyes:

(althought i wont be using any betas, i prefer it without bugs)