Leopard Reliability

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Life is Sweet, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Life is Sweet macrumors member

I will be a switcher as soon as new MB's are released, and i'm wondering if when Leopard is initially released, if it will be very reliable and stable.

We all know the Vista story, but what is the history with Mac OSes?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Generally pretty reliable from the start, and major issues are usually patched within the first month of release.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Anyone who posts anything about Leopard reliability here is either in breach of an NDA and if Apple catches him they will cut his ****s off, or they have a pirated copy of Leopard and if Apple catches them they will cut their ****s off, or both, or he is just making it up. Your choice. :mad:

4. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Your rage is fascinating. The guy's question came from an innocent place.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

wow where did that come from

6. Stetwin macrumors 6502

Stetwin

The general census I got when I asked about leopard here before is that by 10.5.2/10.5.3 it will be very stable but possibly have a few bugs and issues at release

7. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Apple has something that MS never seems to get, that is a product that works upon release. I have never had any issues with any OS updates.

8. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I totally agree with synth3tik, although I've only been a Mac user for three years, I never had any problems with Tiger updates .... :)

9. Life is Sweet thread starter macrumors member

Dates??? estimate.

10. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Do you really care? The guy confounds the word census with consensus. He also makes a claim that even the most insider of sources couldn't possibly know. Therefore, it's baffling that he would have a CONSENSUS from all the authoritative voices on this subject, since I can hypothetically conceive of 0 people in the entire world who would have this kind of information. If Apple knew what the updates in 10.5.1 and 10.5.2 would patch/fix, they wouldn't leave it unfixed until then.

I think, at best, he's making an informed guess based on past data. By that I mean he, and perhaps his authorities, feel that a new OS X release is generally stable after a couple of major updates. Based on that information, it's not an unreasonable post.

So in short, don't get your panties in a twist over information like this.

11. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

The question is innocent. As I explained, any answer to it isn't.

12. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

This isn't always true, but its not really important right now.

The spirit of the NDA is to keep information from flowing to your competitors. That cat was let out of the bag months ago... Hell it already had kittens!

In general, dot zero (x.0) releases are major releases and by nature will be unstable, because its impossible to test every single combination of what an end user might do with it.

Not sure what components you need to be rock solid, but its shaping up pretty nicely from what I hear ;) This is a rumors site after all!

13. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

It will be pretty stable, but there will still be small bugs, still now in tiger there are bugs so..

14. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Are you kidding???? 10.5 doesnt even have a date other then the vague date of October.

15. Life is Sweet thread starter macrumors member

I wasn't asking an exact date that would be ludicrous. I'm just asking if you look at tiger, see how often between updates and factor that into leopard, i was wondering what month (not exactly), maybe 6 moths?

16. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Apple's initial releases are usually pretty good, but if you wait 2-4 weeks after Leopard's release you will be pretty much guaranteed to have a product as reliable as Tiger or any other OS on the market.

17. wngraham macrumors regular

I think he was asking about the reliability of previous updates (Panther, Tiger, etc.) so he can know what to expect from Leopard.

Your answer was out of left field and uncalled for. If you get that upset over a mac related forum you really need to step outside and get some fresh air.

18. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

19. EngBrian macrumors regular

20. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

Unless you buy a new system with Leopard installed you can always wait a week or so to see if there are any problems. My experience with Panther and Tiger on older hardware has been very good. I think Quicken (which is crappy software) was the only application to give me problems.

21. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

with a name like gNASHER....what did you expect :D