leopard - safari/firefox die but other connectivity is fine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pesos, Feb 3, 2008.

1. pesos macrumors 6502a

pesos

Weird one. Rebuilt my gf's ibook clean with leopard.

Every once in a while, safari will just stop browsing. Firefox will also not browse.

However, I can ping/telnet out of terminal without any problem while this is going on. It's as if the OS is somehow denying only the web browsers.

If I plug in the ethernet, browsing seems to work fine. Unplug and re-enable airport, and they stop working again. All other internet traffic continues just fine during these outages (adium, etc).

After a while it seems to start working again. I have since tried doing another clean leopard install, thinking that perhaps the issue was keychain related or something.

SAME PROBLEM HAPPENS AFTER THE REBUILD! Sigh.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks all,
    Wes

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Sounds like you are losing connection to your DNS server. If your ISP has IP addresses for their DNS, try adding them manually to your Airport DNS list.

See System Preferences > Network. Select Airport, then click Advanced.... Go to the DNS tab and add your ISP's DNS server's IPs to the list on the left (usually one or more are available).

3. sahnert macrumors 6502

I think I have the same problem. When it happens, I can send and receive mail vial Mail.app and I can also load RSS feeds in Safari, but webpages will simply not load. In addition, The Network Diagnostics tool usually says "your connection appears to be working" or something to that effect.

I am connected via an Airport Express and have tried entering both my ISPs DNS servers as well as the OpenDNS servers. Seems to happen less frequently with the DNS servers from my ISP, but I could be wrong about that.

Also, when it happens on my Mac Mini running leopard, my Powerbook running Tiger (also connected to the Airport Express) can still connect fine to any web site. It seems that it must be a problem with Leopard somehow.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

If you haven't tried already, perhaps adding the DNS IPs on the Airport Base itself. I'm thinking since it's happing on more than one machine, it points to possibly the DHCP connection to your ISP, rather than the Airport's DHCP server.

5. sahnert macrumors 6502

Sorry, I'm not quite following.

I have entered my ISPs DNS servers onto my Airport Express base station which is connected directly to my modem. (I have also tried with OpenDNS severs on my Airport Express)

Both my Powerbook running Tiger and my Mini running Leopard are connected to the Airport express, so they both should be using the same DNS servers, correct?

The strange thing is that the Powerbook will connect fine even when the Mini does not.

Should I enter the DNS servers in Network Preferences on my Mini or is that redundant if they are already entered on the Airport Express base station?

Thanks for your help.

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I wasn't sure whether you were entering the DNS IPs on the Airport Express, or on the individual machines. It wouldn't hurt anything to add them to the PB and Mini, though. Of course, if your ISP changes DNS IPs, you'll have manually reset them.

Since the PB is ok, and the Mini is the one having DNS issues, it might point to a Leopard issue. I don't remember seeing specific reports - sometimes it might be lumped in with other connectivity issues. I haven't had DNS problems, myself, but several times the Airport Utility has not discovered either of my AEBSs. If I turn off the Airport on the MBP, then back on, they pop up fine. It's not a DHCP issue, as that would be using Bonjour. (My MBP's using a static IP on my LAN, with both my own DNS and ISPs. Both AEBSs are also static IPs, in bridged mode.)