Leopard sucks

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by adamfilip, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamfilip macrumors 6502a

adamfilip

I was excitied when leopard came out.. I bought it on day one
    I installed it on my Dual 2.0 Powermac G5, 3GB X800XT, after I did a backup
    install went fine. I had some issues with my Sonnett Sata card with my other drives.. but they seems to be ok now.

But it seems like everyday photoshop freezes.. or safari.. or it hangs when booting.. or shutting down.. I get all sorts of random errors.. and app crashes.. overall much less stable when tiger. it makes me want to scrap Leopard and go back.... but leopard has some nice features and im just trying to bear with it.. until some real update get posted.. 10.5.1.. didnt really fix anything.

I have already done 3 fresh installs with leopard.

its the same at my work. where i have a 2.6 mac pro, with 4Gb,x1900 crashes here and there.. slowdowns... driving me crazy. until apple really puts some effort into updates.. I think Leopard sucks.

Guess i shouldnt have jumped the gun and installed it..

2. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

Sorry to hear that, but you have to remember when dealing w/ production machines that its never a good idea to early adopt. Many companies have not issued Leopard updates and wont untill later this year or Macworld.

That being said, I installed Leopard on my personal MacBook Pro and it works flawlessly. The only program(s) that had a hiccup was Adobe Creative Suite 3 which has been patched.

Hope your luck improves!

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

4. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Yeah... I've had a few Leopard woes, but not enough to say it "sucks"

Seriously.

I mean, if you take a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being excellent and 1 being Vista... I'd rank Leopard right around a strong 8.

5. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

1 being vista! :D

6. f1 macrumors 6502

Sorry to hear about your troubles; my leopard experience has been pretty much flawless except for a few gripes. Some software updates that require a restart have caused my computer to hang during the reboot and required me to hard power it down. Also my logitech keyboard causes kernel panics in leopard when i plug it in, which never happened in Tiger, now i've got to shell out some more money for a new keyboard grrr....

7. MacTO macrumors member

MacTO

Here's what happened to mine.

When I installed Leopard less than a week ago, everything went smoothly. I was excited about it. But when I opened Final Cut Pro, my Mac Pro crashed. I have Sonnet Tempo SATA E4P card and Blackmagic Design DeckLink HD Extreme. I couldn't even get the second monitor working properly. I was forced to turn it off by pushing the power button. That was painful, worrying sick about possible video footage loss on my RAIDed hard drives.

Then I downloaded all the new versions of drives for both cards (because I hadn't earlier), but nothing worked. I ended up calling Blackmagic Design to consult and helped me reset the setting in FCP. Since then, Mac Pro hasn't crashed once.

However, I had troubled opening default Apple sites on Safari when it was fine on Firefox. It happened (more than once) when Mac Pro was still having trouble communicating with both cards. Also, iTunes couldn't locate the iTune Store because it thought there was no Internet connection when I surfed the Internet on Firefox with no problem.

Also, Coverflow in Finder didn't work properly. It loaded up nothing to look. At some moments, it may have caused Mac Pro to crash while accessing the files on the RAIDed hard drive.

Since then MS Excel quit once without warning. That was super weird.

I went there and looked through for answers but never found one. I ended up calling Blackmagic Design and they helped me.

So, after all the agonizing few hours, with the help of Blackmagic Design, it's been fine. So far so good. Is this the price I have paid as an early adopter?

Cheers. :apple:

8. sdschwendener macrumors regular

Oh yeah, I hear ya. My biggest problem with leopard is when you move something to the trash and then try to empty it you get the "Are you sure you want to empty it? You cannot undo this action!" dialog. This is most irritating.

9. iSavant macrumors regular

Yah, it's better when you turn that off, give it a try :eek:

10. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

sorry to read your issues.....

New iMac 2.8 Extreme here:
    1. Received the new iMac with Leo as a drop in.
    2. Installed with no issues..period. Has been running perfectly!
    3. Leo had all my printer and scanner drivers and had to do zero installs on any drivers.

Have you verified and repaired permissions for the DVD?

Have you used OnyX? Try it.....

Your issues are a lot more than you should be having! Any hacks or 3rd party software issues?

Bad RAM perhaps???

Hope some of this helps.

11. adamzx3 macrumors regular

adamzx3

I have been using leopard and the only issue I ran into is the iMovie wouldn't work after the install, the 7.1 patch fixed that. Photoshop CS3 has been working flawlessly for me....maybe i'm just lucky??

2.66 mac pro
    250gb Seagate 7200.10
    500gb Seagate 7200.11
    500gb Seagate 7200.11
    1GB OEM Ram
    4GB Omni Ram

pretty standard config so maybe that could be some of it.

12. adamzx3 macrumors regular

adamzx3

I should have knocked on wood.....I now have random cases of the audio turning up a notch or down a notch with the visual audio icon appearing at the same time.....:eek:

13. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

I would say we shouldn't blame Leopard for Safari 3 sucking. I've had problems with a couple of third party apps, nothing too important, but Safari 3 crashes, hangs, and generally suxxorz.

14. krunk macrumors regular

No issues here with leopard or safari 3.

Did you do a clean install or an archive and install? I've seen behavior like this with regular updates or archive and install while keeping user/network data.

It often comes down to changes in prefs formats or some other banal reason. Try creating a fresh user and see if the problems manifest with that new account too.

15. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I have a very similar setup to the OP except mine is a dual 1.8 with only 2GB ram and the X800XT and I have had no problems at all.

I did a fresh install though not an archive an install.

16. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Everyone knew it was going to be unstable. You're right, you should have waited. Is that all?

17. skasol macrumors 6502

how do you go about turning this off? thank you for the feedback

18. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

It´s allways pity that stuff doesnt work for people. Be it OS´s or HW.

BUT.

Since this is the MP forums and most users are power users or professionals.

If you work with your computer, you never,never,ever install a new OS on it untill it has been tested utterly through by other users.
    That might take 2 or 3 updates or it might take 5.

It is such a basic rule that everybody that breaks it almost deserves to be kicked in the genitalia.
    Hard.

All the pro systems with the programs and hardware allways lag behind in the compatability arena. Hell,some programs (pro tools?) work only up untill 10.4.8!

I´m not gloating or laughing at your misery,but shees!
    There were nothing so important in Leopard that you had to update to it.
    Your system worked fine,your production flow was working so why break it?
    Of course there are some nifty features but I could almost bet the budget of a small african country that they were not vital to your workflow?

Personally,I use my computer for my livelyhood and I am nowhere near updating the system from 10.4.11.
    At least for next 4-6 months.
    AND i allways have my backup system (atmold G4) ready to run in 5 mins just in case that my MP should meet a sudden demise.

Hopefully things work out for you,but when the next update,let alone a NEW operating system comes along, try to remember not to jump aboard on it right away.
    If you have to,install it to your home machine or something.

Peace.

19. gavd macrumors 6502a

Go to Finder Preferences and then it's under the advanced options.

20. skasol macrumors 6502

thank you for the input. I appreciate this.

21. sdschwendener macrumors regular

yeah me also.

22. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

I had 1 little UI bug but I think the update squashed it.

23. ronss macrumors member

leopard works nicely so far on my mmd 867 dual...i even hooked my hp photosmart 1000 printer up to it,,recognized it and started printing.....was sort of surprised.

24. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

I wouldn't be that surprised, I don't think that Leopard includes ~2 gigs of printer driver for nothing...

25. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Production machines should not install new OS until at least .3 update or untill all softwares used with machine are updated!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.