Leopard/Tiger on a PC? Celeron?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rpeters83, Mar 17, 2008.

1. rpeters83 macrumors regular

I'm attempting to try this hack of installing Leopard or Tiger on a PC I have here. I currently have an other G4 that I use occasionally. The PC is a 1.8 Ghz Celeron.

First, does anyone know if this can be done to an older Celeron? Second, how does an older Celeron such as this compare to my old 450 Mhz G4? Thanks!

Ryan

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

We cannot discuss this here as it is against forum rules

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Not sure this discussion is allowed here

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. rpeters83 thread starter macrumors regular

so the forum can talk about jailbreak for the iphone in hundreds of threads but we cant talk about something equally as "bad"? can someone explain how this is different?

doesnt make sense mods! ;)

5. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

The license agreement for OS X says it needs to be run on Apple hardware. How is that the same as jailbreaking in any way?

6. rpeters83 thread starter macrumors regular

and jailbreak is a hack for the iphone. apple keeps trying to prevent it with each update. jailbreak allows 3rd party apps to run on iphone hardware, something apple doesnt allow.

and as far as I can tell, it says the same thing about 3rd party software in the iphone that are not from google or youtube.

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/iphone.pdf

7. rpeters83 thread starter macrumors regular

btw, here is a quote from apple when the initial jailbreak was released:

"If you have modified your iPhone’s software, applying this software update may result in your iPhone becoming permanently inoperable. Making unauthorized modifications to the software on your iPhone violates the iPhone software license agreement, and the inability to use your iPhone due to unauthorized software modifications is not covered under your iPhone’s warranty."

So, does anyone have insight on my original post?

8. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

to be honest while i don't agree with the whole hackintosh thing, i do think that to have two sub forums on here called "iPhone Hacks" and "iPod Touch Hacks" is also wrong.

It's hypocritical to burn people for discussing hackintoshs but openly allow discussion on hacking the iPhone and touch.

PS - it won't work on an old celeron. You need a newer chipset/SSP3 instruction set. Go look it up.

9. rpeters83 thread starter macrumors regular

I agree. I plan on buying a mini anyway when it gets updated and i have a macbook. I just want to try it out on a PC I have laying around. It's not like I'm hacking a dozen PC's and selling them as macs! :p

edit: just got your edit, that's all i needed to know. thank you!

10. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Yes it can be done on a Celeron if it has SSE2 or higher, they got Leopard working on SSE2 and AMD a couple months ago. If it has SSE3 then there is much wider support. You might want to check if your harddware is listed as compatible on this site http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

If you do not know everything about the hardware youre using then you will find it difficult to get anywhere ("1.8ghz celeron" isnt detailed enough).

A mod said it was fine (Arn I think) and that its not their place to dictate how people treat their license agreement. This place has an entire forum dedicated to jailbreaking your iphone, which is clearly against the EULA of the iphone, why would they say breaking the EULA for one product is ok but not another product? People take license agreements too seriously sometimes, Apple doesnt write laws, breaking a license agreement does not force you to fill out the felon section in employee applications.

11. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

These aren't the forums your looking for. Try hackint0sh.

12. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

insanelymac.com is the best forum for all things OSx86, 174,000 members so pretty much every computer out there is covered.

13. rpeters83 thread starter macrumors regular

awesome, thanks. i'll check out these forums.

14. rpeters83 thread starter macrumors regular

15. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

It makes perfectly sense if you realize that we are talking about completely different things. You are talking about taking Apple Software and copying it. Jailbreaking doesn't copy any Apple Software. You are free to discuss how to install Windows on a Macintosh, unless you are talking about a Windows version that came with your PC which you are not allowed to copy.

16. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I don't care about EULAs, but what is in your estimate the chance that we are talking here about a legitimate copy of Leopard, bought at a store, and not about a "borrowed" install DVD?

17. rpeters83 thread starter macrumors regular

Not everything is clear cut. I actually have legal copies of Leopard and Tiger. I'm only doing this for experimental purposes. So yes, technically, my downloaded/hacked copy is illegal, but the purpose I'm using it for is entirely private.

If Apple wanted to take better strides to copy-protect its software, they'd be more like Microsoft.

18. rpeters83 thread starter macrumors regular

Actually they're pretty close. Only difference is the software (this hacked version) isn't legit. And technically I'm not the one copying it ;-)

19. rpeters83 thread starter macrumors regular

btw, it is not against forum rules. only thing the rules mention is about the posting of warez keys/serials or actually REFERRING people to sites where illegally copied software can be obtained. My topic is not against forum rules and not any worse than the hundreds of posts about people hacking their iphones.

at any rate, it looks like a few posters actually weren't trying to be amateur forum police and actually helped me out. i thank you and will check out these sites.

20. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I'm sure you are now done with replying to this thread however I did want to post some info in regards to your statement. The forum rules do not allow what you are asking. Here's a quote from section 3 on the forum rules entitled "Things not to do". I'm not for you or against you so don't take this personally.

Warez/Serials/Keys. Do not post software serial numbers or keys or refer people to specific websites or software whose purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods, distribute cracks, or obtain or use commercial software or media in violation of its license and/or for copyright violation. Do not ask for or give such help.

The last line says it all.

21. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

Unfortunately that statement should also apply to the iPhone hacking forum. We can't be having double standards now...

22. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

The "brazilmac patch" way is probably the most popular method of making a DVD (despite being the most difficult), and that involves patching an actual copy of Leopard. How they get that copy is up to the person, but the patch only works on a full retail version. The brazilmac way is probably extremely similair to jailbreaking an iphone yourself. I think most people have enough common sense to not talk about where they can go to download a copy of a pre-patched leopard or any other kind of pirating. Those are the rules on every legal site, including OSx86 sites.

You cant just assume that all hackintoshes involve piracy, because the main method of doing it does not have any kind of piracy at all involved. All the files you need for the patch are hosted on your standard file hosting sites that apple could easily have removed, instead of some legally-safe haven like IRC or torrent.