Leopard - To buy or not to buy....

Discussion in 'macOS' started by beavc, May 12, 2009.

  1. beavc macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2007
    #1
    Hi all,

    I have an iMac (2 gen back) running on Tiger and am considering whether to get Leopard now. I know I am about 2 years late...but really need some advice on whether to go ahead and upgrade it...I have considered Snow Leopard but figured my iMac may not meet the specs...

    Many thanks in advance...:eek:
     
  2. MKnight macrumors regular

    MKnight

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2007
    #2
    Are you on a PowerPC based iMac? If so, Snow Leopard may not be good for you.

    If you have an Intel chip, don't waste your money on Leopard now because Snow Leopard will most certainly not be a free upgrade.



     
  3. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #3
    I'd just wait until SL comes out and see if you can upgrade it. I can't remember if you need the previous version of OS X to install the new one though... anyone care to enlighten? Can you go from Panther to Leopard, or do you have to do Panther -> Tiger -> Leopard?
     
  4. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

    smurfjammer

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Location:
    Auckland, New Zealand
    #4
    Wait, Wait, Wait - you might as well wait since you have for 2 years.
     
  5. beavc thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2007
    #5
    I have the intel chip version (white plastic iMac - 2 gen before the current)

    True, but my concern is with whether my iMac will be able to run Snow Leopard...hmmm...

    anyway thank you all very much..:)
     
  6. apfhex macrumors 68030

    apfhex

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2006
    Location:
    Northern California
    #6
    Nope.

    If you have an Intel Mac, it's practically guaranteed that you'll be able to run Snow Leopard. If you can wait, more info should be announced at WWDC in June.
     
  7. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

    TwinCities Dan

    Joined:
    May 19, 2008
    Location:
    Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    #7
    Isn't it still up in the air about whether the core duo's will be supported under 10.6?

    :confused:
     
  8. DualShock macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2008
    #8
    One word of caution though. Once Snow Leopard comes out, it will become next to impossible to get Leopard, really quick. First, Apple will immediately stop selling it, and when the sales channels run out, that's it. So if you think you want to get Leopard, you should get it soon.

    Just look at how many places are still selling Tiger at affordable prices. :D Granted, it's almost 2 years since Leopard came out, but I remember that soon after it did come out, Tiger went extinct real fast.
     
  9. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

    Apple Ink

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2008
    #9
    Dont forget that the Core Duos are 32bit (x86) only. So if Apple kicks out all PPC machines giving this as a major reason... and thats a possibility considering Apple is kicking everything 32bit out of SL.... the Core Duo Macs get a kick too!!
     
  10. voicebox macrumors newbie

    voicebox

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2009
    Location:
    London UK
    #10
    Where are these 'many places' that are still selling Tiger at affordable prices?
    I would like to know, because I need to upgrade a G4 iMac which is running Panther 10.3.9 at the moment.
    I am in the UK and the places I have tried - Amazon and eBay - want top price for Tiger ...
    Any suggestions (none rude!) will be gratefully received!
    voicebox
     
  11. gnasher729 macrumors P6

    gnasher729

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2005
    #11
    On the contrary, some people who upgraded to Leopard first and Snow Leopard next will sell their used Leopard software on eBay, so there is a good chance to get it cheap.

    Right now on eBay two complete packages, one for £26, one for £9.50 at the moment with 7 and 9 hours to go.
     
  12. beavc thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2007
    #12
    But the new gen of iMacs are duo core right? so quite unlikely the 32bit will be phased out with SL right? :confused:
     
  13. voicebox macrumors newbie

    voicebox

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2009
    Location:
    London UK
    #13
    Thanks for the heads up gnasher729, I'll head on over to eBay right now ...!

    Update: Both items seem to be for Intel Macs only - I'm wanting Tiger for a G4 iMac - therefore it must be PPC and not Intel ..!
     
  14. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

    instaxgirl

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2009
    Location:
    Edinburgh, UK
    #14
    I bet you'll be able to run it no problem. I'm running Leopard on a PPC more than 3 years old and it runs just as well as Tiger.
     
  15. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

    TwinCities Dan

    Joined:
    May 19, 2008
    Location:
    Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    #15
    No, the newer iMacs are core 2 duo (64 bit), my 06' MBP is a core duo (32 bit).

    It is still uncertain whether SL will support the 32 bit processors.
     

Share This Page