Leopard - To buy or not to buy....

Discussion in 'macOS' started by beavc, May 12, 2009.

1. beavc macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have an iMac (2 gen back) running on Tiger and am considering whether to get Leopard now. I know I am about 2 years late...but really need some advice on whether to go ahead and upgrade it...I have considered Snow Leopard but figured my iMac may not meet the specs...

Many thanks in advance...:eek:

2. MKnight macrumors regular

MKnight

Are you on a PowerPC based iMac? If so, Snow Leopard may not be good for you.

If you have an Intel chip, don't waste your money on Leopard now because Snow Leopard will most certainly not be a free upgrade.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'd just wait until SL comes out and see if you can upgrade it. I can't remember if you need the previous version of OS X to install the new one though... anyone care to enlighten? Can you go from Panther to Leopard, or do you have to do Panther -> Tiger -> Leopard?

4. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

Wait, Wait, Wait - you might as well wait since you have for 2 years.

5. beavc thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the intel chip version (white plastic iMac - 2 gen before the current)

True, but my concern is with whether my iMac will be able to run Snow Leopard...hmmm...

anyway thank you all very much..:)

6. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Nope.

If you have an Intel Mac, it's practically guaranteed that you'll be able to run Snow Leopard. If you can wait, more info should be announced at WWDC in June.

7. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Isn't it still up in the air about whether the core duo's will be supported under 10.6?

:confused:

8. DualShock macrumors 6502

One word of caution though. Once Snow Leopard comes out, it will become next to impossible to get Leopard, really quick. First, Apple will immediately stop selling it, and when the sales channels run out, that's it. So if you think you want to get Leopard, you should get it soon.

Just look at how many places are still selling Tiger at affordable prices. :D Granted, it's almost 2 years since Leopard came out, but I remember that soon after it did come out, Tiger went extinct real fast.

9. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Dont forget that the Core Duos are 32bit (x86) only. So if Apple kicks out all PPC machines giving this as a major reason... and thats a possibility considering Apple is kicking everything 32bit out of SL.... the Core Duo Macs get a kick too!!

10. voicebox macrumors newbie

voicebox

Where are these 'many places' that are still selling Tiger at affordable prices?
    I would like to know, because I need to upgrade a G4 iMac which is running Panther 10.3.9 at the moment.
    I am in the UK and the places I have tried - Amazon and eBay - want top price for Tiger ...
    Any suggestions (none rude!) will be gratefully received!
    voicebox

11. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

On the contrary, some people who upgraded to Leopard first and Snow Leopard next will sell their used Leopard software on eBay, so there is a good chance to get it cheap.

Right now on eBay two complete packages, one for £26, one for £9.50 at the moment with 7 and 9 hours to go.

12. beavc thread starter macrumors newbie

But the new gen of iMacs are duo core right? so quite unlikely the 32bit will be phased out with SL right? :confused:

13. voicebox macrumors newbie

voicebox

Thanks for the heads up gnasher729, I'll head on over to eBay right now ...!

Update: Both items seem to be for Intel Macs only - I'm wanting Tiger for a G4 iMac - therefore it must be PPC and not Intel ..!

14. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I bet you'll be able to run it no problem. I'm running Leopard on a PPC more than 3 years old and it runs just as well as Tiger.

15. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    No, the newer iMacs are core 2 duo (64 bit), my 06' MBP is a core duo (32 bit).

It is still uncertain whether SL will support the 32 bit processors.