Leopard to contain Anti-Piracy features?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Gav, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Gav macrumors regular

I read somewhere, probably by a mis-informed weirdo (lol) that Leopard was going to implement some sort of Anti-Piracy feature, like Activation on Windows...

Anyone know if this is true (beta testers maybe)?

If it is, its a bit of a downer, especially when you have a house full of Macs that you want to upgrade. Although, the family pack has a pretty decent price...

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hahahaha burt i would not believe this....

has about 0.0001% chance of being true!

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I haven't heard this, I'm sure if this was the case that the big sites, i.e MacRumors, Appleinsider, Digg et al would have picked up on it, especially if it were in the Dev builds right now.

4. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I hate activation on software because it can mess things up so badly and screw you over when you have legitimate issues. It's also pretty pointless because inevitably it will be cracked.

On the other hand, given how many Leopard "users" there are on this forum at the moment...

5. Gav thread starter macrumors regular

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I imagine that those "users" will buy the real deal when it is out and have just downloaded it to get a taster as to what it will be like when it is released. After all the year long gap between keynotes about Leopard + the rehashing of the same information used in the keynotes leaves a lot people wanting to know what the "Top secret" features and the other 290 features are. Then again some will just download it again.

7. richyfp macrumors member

There may well be anti-piracy measures in Leopard, but judging from Apple's past record it's likely not going to be for users of Macs, but rather directed toward users trying to install Mac OS X on "generic PCs" (like the current /System/Library/Extensions/Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X.kext).

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Clearly, when someone says there is "some sort of anti-piracy feature", then they don't have very much clue what they are talking about. Is that supposed to mean that I can't make copies of Leopard? Or that I can't download pirated music? Or I can't use pirated software? Or pirates can't easily steal my data, including credit card numbers? Or Leopard won't work on any pirate ships? Or something entirely different, that your source just didn't understand?

9. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Since people need to have a Mac to use OSX, I don't think there's much need for an anti-pirate system.

10. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

the real reason is most people who own macs purcahse their software, and apple tracks that data. If your logic were true, everyone would purchase windows which isn't the case particularlly in Asia.

11. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Huh!?

What is the logical connection between Windows sales in Asia and MacOS X 10.5?

12. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I think the former explains the latter. People wanting to use the single license to upgrade a house or a family pack beyond it's scope are the reason that there is a need for an anti-pirate system. But, Apple does it the smarter way (well, for them). I'm sure they expect a certain amount of piracy and they build that expectation into their pricing structure. If people went on a piracy-rampage, that's when things would get ugly and apple would have to institute some lockdowns. In the meantime, we can all pay for it.

13. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

This rumor or whatever it is could be some kind of fear coming from Leopard's code signing feature that has been mentioned here and there. I'll quote an official public blurb here:

In other words, as advertised, this is a feature that will be under the local admin's (or in a personal setting, the user's) control. The implementation is very much like how DRM works, but the part where the end user gets to decide what happens makes this something very different.

14. overcast macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't not? You mean you would?

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

haha boy am i going crazy. thanks for picking up on this.. i think im going crazy.. i might have alzheimer's but at least i dont have alzheimers.

16. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

There is no anti-piracy activation like in Windows or anything like that from what I can tell. Of course, it could be something during the initial setup done behind the scenes...but I doubt it. This is as of Leopard 9A499.