Leopard to go on sale Oct. 31st

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pixlnet, Sep 29, 2007.

1. pixlnet macrumors member

This monday will be October 1st, and Apple will post a 30 day countdown to the release of Mac OS X Leopard. Amazon states October 31st as the ship date. The Universal Dock was said to have a Leopard specific feature and that will ship in 3-4 weeks....so I think Oct. 31st is a great guess. Let's put money on it!

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Amazon has been wrong before. iLife '07 comes to mind.

3. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

Do you have a link to the universal dock?

4. pixlnet thread starter macrumors member

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Just in case you're not aware, a Contributor is someone who has contributed money to the site. The title does not indicate that they contribute news or rumours, so they are not news sources and things said by Contributors aren't guarantees :)

6. pixlnet thread starter macrumors member

Ah! Thanks for the heads up....but I'm still sticking to that date!

7. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

8. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

I'm going to do a "miss cleo" prediction and say last friday of the month :)

That is when leopard is coming out. No exceptions. You heard it here first :)

9. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

The new universal dock is no different than the old universal dock except that it supports component output (and requires a power source for video output). Since both the iPod and iPhone (and their respective first-party accessories) HAVE to work with Windows (XP/Vista), there is not going to be ANY Mac OS X specific feature with regards to either.

I don't expect Apple to ship Mac OS 10.5 on 10/31 because it's Halloween in the "Western world." I'm sure Apple's PR Team knows not to ship a product that's launch is going to get shelved because of media coverage on potential child predators, the threat of poisonous candy, what local enforcement is doing against egging/toilet papering houses and of course, videos of little kids dressed as Disney characters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween

10. pixlnet thread starter macrumors member

It could mean shipping Oct. 31st and in Apple stores that weekend. Everyone is fully aware it's a holiday...but they need to get this thing out in October and not let the date slip. So shipping in October is fine as long as I can get my hands on it in the store a couple days later.

11. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

12. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

Amazon puts October 31st on their site because Apple announced that they would release Leopard sometime in October, and I doubt Amazon's web application handles "sometime in October" very well as a concrete release date. Plus then they can say that Leopard was released earlier than they previously said rather than later if they had put something like "October 1st" to signify "October, sometime."

13. Visualize macrumors newbie

Visualize

I support this theory too. Amazon won't be frowned upon for saying that Leopard ships on the last day of October. If they had set the date to the 10th of October and Apple has not let Leopard go at that time - then we would hear an uproar from the Mac community about how Amazon has failed and we should do an DoS on the site(maybe not that excessive, but still pretty bad vibes)

The way Amazon does it is good - brings in a surprise element of sorts.

I know i'm new here, but I can tell you i'm not brown-nosing anyone. :D

14. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

I hope its released on the 23rd cause thats a tuesday and thats my bday;) I'm in need of a new Mac

15. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Apple will release Leopard on Halloween and offer a special rate for those who come to the store in costume. It's true , my cousin's friend waxes Steve Job's back and overheard him talking about it on his iPhone.

Relax, the announcement will come in the next 2 weeks.

17. dominicansrul93 macrumors regular

18. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

I bet it will be within a week, maybe 10 days.

19. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

i got a small question about that. i purchased recently a macpro and when mac 10.5 will be available it will be a month later after i bought my mac. will apple give me the chance to pay less for the new software?

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

In the past, only those who bought a computer after the shipping date was announced received the OS for $20.

21. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

well i think it was a mistake to buy it atm then.... but i actually dont get u. if i buy a mac after the ship date it means it will actually have the new software.... stupid not to

edit: microsoft gave the customers the chance to upgrade their os for FREE with pcs bought 3 months before vista release. maybe thats the reason that ppl prefer the crap windows instead of mac, because of better support. -1 apple

22. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Considering almost all Mac OS X releases, including the past several, have all happened on a Friday at 6pm (so Apple stores and resellers can host great release parties), I'd be willing to wager an extremly large sum that you are incorrect.

Friday, October 26 @ 6PM (local time). Maybe the 19th, but I still say, given Apple recents pattern of releases as late in a time frame as possible (iPhone, anyone? Also released on a Friday, btw), the 26th is the best candidate.

23. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

I also really hope they release it on a friday.

24. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

That's the day after my birthday. I doubt that it'll be released then, though. I think it will come out on the 30th (last tuesday of the month)

25. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

My guess is it'll be announced at the last possible date, then it'll ship either the same day, or within 1 - 2 weeks