Leopard--turn off video icons?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by disconap, Oct 6, 2009.

1. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

So every time I open a folder with video or image files in it, my fans kick in and everything slows while my computer creates image icons pulled from the files. It's especially annoying with video, as most of the folders contain hundreds of files--is there any way to turn this off? I've googled around and searched the forum a bit but no luck...

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Finder > Show View Options and uncheck "Show icon preview"

See if that works for you.

3. disconap thread starter macrumors 68000

disconap

You'd think that info might be easy to find... Thanks a ton, you just saved me a bunch of annoyance!

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Glad that worked for you!

Even though I happened to know that one off the top of my head, there's always Finder > Help. I entered "icon preview" and found an article which explained the option well enough that one would try turning it of (as least I'd think so). Of course, sometimes knowing the right words to search on make all the difference...

Anyway, just thought I'd recommend it as a help resource.

5. disconap thread starter macrumors 68000

disconap

You know, that's like the third time that someone has suggested that to me. For some reason, I never ever use the Help menu. No idea why, I guess maybe a throwback to a time when it was less useful (os8), I've never really adopted it, Maybe it's time to...

Thanks again!