Leopard: Upgrade from Tiger or Fresh Install?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ~J~, Sep 11, 2007.

1. ~J~ macrumors 6502

This will be my first upgrade to a new OS with Mac... is there an advantage to simply doing an upgrade over backing everything up and doing a fresh install? I've always heard that its NOT like Windows (thank God!), and doing a simple upgrade is just as good as a fresh install... is that true? What will you be doing?

2. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

I always do a fresh install after fully backing up the 'old' OS.

10.x.0's are good times, just ask the external FireWire HD owners around here. ;)

3. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

I'll probably do an upgrade. Also, try search. I see this thread everyday.

4. NinjaMonkey macrumors regular

I've done an Archive & Install since upgrading to Panther. I haven't had any problems and it is much easier than doing a clean install.

5. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

I'm going to do a fresh install. I've never done one since getting my MB so I figure by the time 10.5 comes out it will be past due for that sort of thing.

TS

6. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

That's my reasoning for doing a fresh install as well.

Also it's still kind of ingrained from using Windows for so long. :eek:

Hopefully it'll run a bit faster seeing as this installation of Tiger has had so much done to with my fiddling since I got it.

7. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

As I don't have any backup software installed yet, I think I will Archive & Install first, then use Time Machine to backup and afterwards make a fresh install.

8. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

How does everyone cope with re-installing all their applications? I would do a clean install but the thought of spending a few days going through all those installation processes, and then going through all my emails trying to find shareware serials, etc. is just a pain that I could do without.

9. ~J~ thread starter macrumors 6502

Seems pretty split... I/m still undecided... I have an easy way to backup and a backup device.... I guess I'm kinda leaning towards doing a backup of everything and then doing a fresh install.

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Archive install FTW. Most of the benefits of an Erase & Install, but less time and hassle. Just make sure you have enough disk space.

11. ~J~ thread starter macrumors 6502

As I mentioned, this will be my first upgrade with a Mac OS. What exactly does an archive & install do?

12. zwida macrumors 6502a

zwida

I'm with Counterfit. Archive install is the way to go unless something seems terribly terribly wrong.

13. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

There are benefits to doing clean installs on the HDD. I will most certainly be upping to 160 GB at least when I get around to running leopard and my 80 will be either still running tiger for the hell of it or used as my time machine drive.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Then do without it, since clean installing isn't necessary or even useful. It's a waste of time and a needless PITA.

15. jonnylink macrumors 6502

Unless you want to use ZFS. You'll need to reformat the HD to use a different file system.

16. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

Is that even available now? I thought it was read only so far.

17. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

All of my software is freeware for the most part, and I have all the installation files in a folder already, so I'll just have to methodically move them into the Applications folder and that'll take care of 80% of my software.

Then it should just be a matter of transferring the data across from my desktop via ethernet and personalizing the appearances again. :)

18. ~J~ thread starter macrumors 6502

The more I think about it, the more I think I will do a clean install. Could be a waste of time, but could be beneficial in some way that we arent seeing right now. Also, I dont mind reinstalling my personal software and moving all of my personal data back over from the backup drive. Besides, I want the experience with installing Mac OSX... which has been so stable and works so well... I have to *find* an excuse to reinstall!

19. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

I prefer to simply upgrade -- no need to reinstall apps again.

20. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The voice of reason :)

21. MacHipster macrumors 6502

I'll preface this by saying that I'm in no way a technical guru and this is just a matter of my opinion, but I have always clean installed my OS upgrades since Apple released Jaguar and it's always been flawless. I must admit, I'm one of those strange souls that has a bit of fun searching for and re-installing apps...it makes it seem new again.:D

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Some might say that, but of course they are all delusional. ;)

23. ~J~ thread starter macrumors 6502

I understand what you mean there... I feel the same way. My real question is, is that real or perceived?? In other words, is that a practice we picked up from M$ winblows, and not needed with OSX? Is there any *REAL* advantage, other than not having to reinstall apps and move data?

24. 10th Wonder macrumors regular

I know this is a n00b question, I've never backed up my HDD in my whole life. But back in 06 of december I wish I did because i dropped my laptop on tile flooring, the rest of the story is history. I had sooo much media that was SO hard to find in stores and such.

Only reason I have never backed up is because it seems so hard to do, I know I know it's not hard. But for a person who has never done anything like it before it takes some time to get used to the ropes and such. But since Leopard comes with TM I think I will be using it more often than I have in the past.

Which brings me to this, If I backed up everything on my HD(if I had one). I would rather do a clean install and just grab all my apps,media,photo's and so on. Wouldn't it be better just to back up your main files from your user folder and such? Since it would be less of a pain to redownload and install everything again and again? Don't mind me I am still learning the ways of the Mac to this day.

So If I said something wrong please correct me... Thanks

25. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

I know the feeling. The good thing (to me) about reinstalling software is that it give me a chance to ask myself if I really need it. There are probably 5 different applications I use daily and 40 more that have been sitting there since April!

Also, if you know that you are going to reinstall OSX, you can play with that strange application you made a few months ago but have been too busy or scared to install. Now you can go for it because you're erasing your system anyway!