Leopard vs. Tiger

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Davy.Shalom, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

Hey guys, I think my PowerBook G4 is in need of software upgrade, and I also have a few questions.
    1) Is Leopard more secure than Tiger when it comes to viruses attacking apps? (dummy question)
    2) About how much battery life can I expect out of leopard with A NEW (brand new, got a couple weeks ago), calibrated battery (specs on PB in signature)
    3) Will the PowerBook lag horribly?
    -I run about 5-15 apps at a time
    firefox, mail, iTunes, garageband, photoshop 7, iPhoto, Word, Adium, burn, carbon copy cloner, remote windows desktop, iCal AT LEAST every day
    4) How does the iPhoto that comes with iLife 08 work on PPC machines?

2. manram macrumors newbie

manram

1. Yes, very much more secure with viruses, etc.
    2. You should get around 4 hrs, depends on how much you have used your PowerBook.
    3. Depends on how much memory you have. 1GB- Yes, 2GB-Maybe, 4GB over- No.
    4. It works pretty good. I have an eMac, and it runs okay. 1GB RAM.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Leopard will get more software and security updates than Tiger from now on, so it will be more secure and future proof in this aspect.

Most likely 3-4 hours.

Unfortunately the processor will show it's age a bit here, if you run all of those programs at the same time it will lag. If you close everything else when using Photoshop, Garageband, or other big apps it will help to mitigate that however.

It should run ok, maybe a bit slow but manageable.

4. tsvb macrumors 6502

Honestly I'd stick with Tiger I miss how snappy it was.

5. Davy.Shalom thread starter macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

Thanks for your quick feedback. Yeah I think I'll buy Leopard now just so I have it when I want to upgrade. I want to see, borrow, use a 12" Powerbook with the same specs as mine with leopard on it. I'll find a friend who has one. Leopard thrives on the Intel processors, but it probably isn't that bad on PPC. I'll see.

6. manram macrumors newbie

manram

I'm running a 1.25 Ghz. eMac PPC at home with 1GB of RAM. It is not really slow, but when I open up 5 or more apps it starts getting laggy. I would recommend Leopard, because it is a great upgrade. Now I'm just waiting on Snow Leopard :p.

7. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

Why dont you get leopard from other sources first and give it a try. If it works you can purchase it

8. manram macrumors newbie

manram

If you can get your hands on a computer with Leopard, then most certainly do that. Try it out, then make your decision.

9. Davy.Shalom thread starter macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

Hey manram, you won't be able to run Snowleopard on your PPC. They are dropping support with 10.6. I thought you should know.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Snow Leopard, from the start (Developers seeds) is Intel Macs only. PPC machine will top out at Leopard. Maybe, just maybe, Apple might introduce PPC support of Snow Leo, but, its unlikely.

11. risenphoenixkai macrumors member

Leopard has a lot of features Tiger doesn't have that make it worth the upgrade. Quick Look, Spaces, and Time Machine are three features Leopard has that I wouldn't want to do without.

I had a dual-1GHz G4 PowerMac that I upgraded from 10.1 all the way through to 10.5. Each iteration of OS X actually seemed faster up until Leopard; Leopard seems, on average, about as fast or very slightly slower than Tiger on the same hardware.

12. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Ew you used 10.1? =-x

13. jpk32092 macrumors 6502

what other sources would you recommend ;)