Leopard WebKit and YouTube

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MatthewLTL, Feb 28, 2015.

1. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

so i JUST went to youtube only to be greeted by this message:
    When did this start happening?!

Attached Files:

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Youtube dropped support for flash video, maybe a month or six weeks back.
    You could try TenFourFox, I suppose.

3. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

Make sure your default is HTML5 and not Flash. That, oftentimes, will solve the problem.

If it doesn't solve the problem, then use TenFourFox.

4. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

That's been there for a while - flash still plays on Youtube on my G5 though - if I choose that option - always use Clicktoplugin.

5. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I dont watch youtube on the browser. I have the YouView Safari exgtension. ClickToFlash never worked as it was claimed to for me. I have HTML5 as default but i never watch videos that way because i cannot play them full screen

6. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

I've recently found YouView to be incompatible with lots of Youtube clips in the same way MacTubes went - inevitable I guess..shame.

7. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I have noticed that too; But i would rather use YouView where i can watch videos full screen than a browser that can't do full screen.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Are you running the latest version of Leopard WebKit? Ensure YouView is on 0.5 and not 0.5.1 as the newer version has a bug which causes high CPU usage.

9. stewart1981 macrumors member

TenFourFox works like a dream for my wife on a daily basis on YouTube on G5. The dropping of flash has given the machine a new lease of life.

On a bizarre side note I've discovered I can watch BBC iplayer on the G5 in Stainless using whatever version of flash is built in. It isn't perfect but I can use the Radio 3 streaming via website and catch up with anything I've missed. I do use my windows laptop for that but it was just the discovery really shocked me as it refuses in any other browser.

10. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I don't have any problem with 0.5.1. I did update LW to the one for Leopard/Snow Leopard as well as installed all the scripts that was included with it. Now I can see videos fullscreen in Safari but it still has a lag. And not being able to put it in 480p is annoying. TenFourFox DOES NOT work, HTML5 lags HEAVILY with TFF on my eMac and HTML5 dont work AT ALL on my MDD it lags on anything; TFF, LK, MacTubes, YouView the ONLY option i have on the MDD is the TFF's QTE

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

With the YouView Extension (not plugin), selecting a YouTube link will pause opening the page and open separately in YouView. It works that way on my G5 and G4. Ensure the extension is enabled properly in Safari --> Preferences.

12. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I know how YouView works in that regard, However YouView DOES NOT work on my MDD it works physically, but Videos lag with YouView. They lag with HTML5 as well that includes in a brower or using the Video Player option of MacTubes. The ONLY way i can even watch YouTube on my MDD is to use QuickTime via MacTubes setting or using the QuickTimeEnabler addon for TenFourFox.

13. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

UPDATE: It appears now that there is no sound with LW on youtube. Also LW beachballs for a few seconds (mainly when here on MR and i got to post or reply to a thread. I'll start to type than it beachballs for about 5 seconds than stops and is usable again.. not a big deal just annoying as all hell.

14. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The lag issue is prevalent in 0.5.1. Even my G5 has that issue and downgrading should resolve the problem. My buddy Gavin still has 0.5 on the PowerPC Archive.

15. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Has nothing to do with 0.5.1. It has ALWAYS laged on the MDD (probably the 4MX card) even when i had version 0.4 on it

16. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I am just pointing out an issue that I know is in 0.5.1 that could be the cause of your problem.

17. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I thought It was the problem too, However I really do think its the GPU i think the 4 MX is the bottleneck for videos since the PowerMac has more RAM than my eMac and the specs are identical except the fact the eMac has a 9200

18. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I maybe wrong, but the GeForce 4 MX should have enough power to use YouView.

19. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Ill have to test it tonite, I'll also test it when my new MDD Motherboard arrives and i swap it over.

20. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Sounds good. Otherwise, Intell will know exactly what is up here. I hereby summon his name!

21. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

With the proper settings, the GeForce 4 MX can playback YouView well.

22. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

ok, so what settings?

Also any advice to stop Leopard WebKit from CONSTANTLY locking up?

23. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Start with it at the lowest settings and work up until it starts to have problems. To stop the locking up, move it to the Trash and empty the trash. Then download a more secure and featureful browser.

24. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

The most lowest setting in YouView is 480p still lags on that. No problems using QuickTime but forget HTML5, MacTubes on the "Video Player" option

25. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Correct, 480p in YouView on my MDD is quite smooth. 720p starts to have problems, but I would expect that from such old hardware.