Less bezel or front facing speaker?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stonyboys, Nov 24, 2013.

?

Less bezel or front facing speakers?

1. Less bezel

29 vote(s)
    74.4%
  2. Front facing speakers

10 vote(s)
    25.6%
  1. stonyboys macrumors 6502

Wondering what you guys would prefer. To have less bezel on the top/bottom of the iPhone vs having front facing speakers similar to the htc one. I personally would much rather have front facing speakers as I use my iPhone with headphones 1% of the time. Of course I'm only willing to give up so much bezel-less-ness for these speakers, I think the htc does it perfectly.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Neither - I like the 5s as it is. I wouldn't like it to be any larger. It's already pushing it for front pocket comfort.

As far as the speaker goes, get a dock (I've always had an Apple made one) - there's really no degradation in sound quality.

If you're really after using it as a primary speaker for music, you'd probably want an external anyway.

3. hafr macrumors 68030

Front facing speakers, no doubt. I constantly cover the speakers when playing games in landscape mode, and sending the audio in another direction than towards the person watching the screen is pretty ridiculous. Imagine a TV that had its speakers placed like on the iPhone...

To you that feel the current design is fine - how do you place your computer speakers?

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

My computer speakers are my home theatre speakers. I use AirPlay to connect to them (through ATV-3), which is another option for the iPhone as well.

The internal speakers on my rMBP are fine, for built-ins. But, we were talking about a pocket device like an iPhone, where space is at even more of a premium.

5. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Hearing becoming an issue because of age and playing music too darn loud and causing hearing problem, so having the speaker facing the user would be a god send. Have them on the iPad as well, but Apple will not do so in my opinion as some other manufactures have done. But, it would be nice :D

6. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

You can actually accomplish both. The touchscreen can be turned into an omni-directional speaker by using frequency resonance. By applying the tech behind the touchscreen, you can make the glass screen into a speaker.

7. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

In my usage pattern - I've almost never used the speaker. I always have headphones or use Bluetooth in the car. I would therefore vote to reduce bezel size over moving the speakers around.

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Wow, I'm in the minority. I voted for front facing speakers. I have to cup my hand around the bottom (oh my!) to direct the sound to me so I don't have to have the volume cranked. I just bought an iPad case and the sound holes actually "bend around" and exit the case towards the front instead of being straight through.

9. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If I have to pick one, Bezel.

I got either BT speakers or Airplay speakers everywhere I go so builtins no big deal.

10. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I'd prefer less bezel. The iPhone is behind the times with it's huge bezels, they could get a larger screen in there by very slightly increasing the width and shaving down the bezels and please both crowds: the ones who want a larger screen, and the ones who don't want a larger phone.

As for speakers, the iPhone is really the only phone without front speakers that really impresses me with sound, I don't think it really needs any improvement.

11. zmon macrumors member

The speakers are ok, but they're not perfect, but considering it's in a little case, I wouldn't expect much with today's tech. So, I'm fine with the current speakers.

I'd rather less bezel, entirely possible. I'd expect it to be razor thin for the 6.

12. hafr macrumors 68030

Are they directed towards where you (usually) sit?

With that argument, the iPhone doesn't need a speaker at all.

Say the internal speakers on your rMBP were placed on the right hand side, directing the sound away from you, the way the internal speaker in the iPhone does?

----------

The HTC One has less bezel than the iPhone 5/5S, and front facing speakers...

13. zbarvian macrumors 68010

Huh? Is that real? I'd like to know about more about it if it is.

14. stonyboys thread starter macrumors 6502

surprised how little of you use the speaker on a regular basis, like I said I use it 99% of the time that I'm on my iPhone. Even when I have headphones on the table right beside me, I still use the speaker because I find it much more convenient and comfortable. Am I the only one who dislikes using headphones?