Less is More: Bigger doesn't always mean better!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by groove-agent, Apr 14, 2009.

1. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

As apple continues to evolve its product line, they seem interested in making their products larger. However, do they realize this isn't always practical?

Firstly, I loved the 17" Imacs. I thought they had just the right footprint for a work desktop. Not to mention, they were quite portable.

One of the coolest laptops I ever owned was a 12" MBP. It was so compact, and cool looking.

Finally, I'm hoping that they'll release a new 20" cinema. I felt it was the perfect size, particularly if you want a dual or triple monitor setup. I tried a 24", but it was rediculously large for my desk. It seems that Apple is just going for wow factor rather than being practical.

Bigger isn't always better.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

12" PB maybe, but no MBP.

Yes, I do agree, which is why I expect to see more things than just the iPhone at WWDC or in a very near future with regards to displays.

3. aleni macrumors 68020

12PB is awesome. but the Macbook's 13" isn't bad either because of the wide. at this moment, i believe it's a pain in the ass to work with 12" unless the resolution is 1440 x .... or even better 1680 x .... mmm yummy.

macbook unibody is nice, but the screen is inferior and the resolution is bad.

i was hoping to get 13" MBP with 1680x res, but i just can dream.

4. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I would love to see a 10 inch MacBook or netbook. I love the 13 inch Macbook but it's still too big for me.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What I hate more is when car manufacturers make their small cars bigger after each style refresh. Sure, change the style of the car so that it looks more modern. However, don't increase the size of the car and advertise it as a selling point. It isn't a benefit or upgrade. People look to buy small cars because they want a small car. People look towards medium-sized cars because they want a medium sized car, and yet a new Honda Civic is larger than an Accord was 10 years ago. Crazy.

6. mikeinternet macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

I couldn't agree more.

I'm running the newest 15" Macbook Pro. If I had the option for the same specs with a 12" screen I would have taken that. Even for the same price.

7. aleni macrumors 68020

me too. the macbook's screen quality just doesn't cut it.

8. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Agreed on the 12" PowerBook, disagreed with the 17" iMac :D

Yes, loving my 20" iMac, and wanting a 24"! :D

Maybe the rumored netbook that Steve Jobs is, according to yet more rumors, overseeing, is gonna answer all of our wet dreams.

9. o2xygen macrumors regular

I felt the same way as you, I couldnt stand a 24inch, it was too big id have to to move head to see parts of the screen. Then I got forced to use one, and now I find the 20inch (and now my desk) too small!

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If they put a core2duo in my 12 pb case, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I wouldn't be able to give apple my money quickly enough.

11. philips macrumors regular

philips

I doubt it. It was rumored to be a tablet sitting in between iPhone/iPodTouch and MacBook.

As PB12" replacement, I'd say alu MB13" is the best shot. MBA is also an option. They are slightly larger, but thinner than PB12. None is real PB12" replacement, but both are good smallish laptops, sufficient for most occasions.

Also I personally prefer lower resolution. I frankly still not completely in love with my MBP17's 1920x1200 resolution. Screen real estate is really good for most of what I do, yet everything looks very small on screen with such high DPI. Mac OS X UI doesn't scale and some things are plainly unusable - because hard-coded fonts are too small.

In other words, I'm very fine with MB13's 1280x800 resolution. Anyway, it beats my PB12's 1024x768.