Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wayland1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Sorry guys, I know you're probably all sick of this by now.

I'll be trading in an AT&T fuze for an iPhone 3g, most likely tomorrow. I would prefer not to wait until next week, but if there's a big chance the new iPhone will be available soon, I'll have to.

So here we are 6 days away, and there's no pre-released iPhone cases (at least for the regular size), so there likely wont be a drastically new phone (I don't care for an iPhone nano...).

What are the chances that any of these features will be seen next friday:

-1 extra physical button (works like mic-button on headset for changing songs)
-Denser screen (more pixels)
-Upgraded camera
-32gb (I'd hate to spend $300 on a 16gb only to have a $300 32gb available in a few days)
-anything else?

Also, if these features were to be implemented... when would we see this phone? On Friday?

-Upgraded camera
-32gb (I'd hate to spend $300 on a 16gb only to have a $300 32gb available in a few days)
-anything else?

Also, if these features were to be implemented... when would we see this phone? On Friday?

Clearly nobody has answers. But the best way to guess is to go by past trends. last year in January there was a memory upgrade, so there MIGHT be a 32gb iphone. that would the only hardware change to the current iphone line. but it would probably just cost $400 in stead of $300. They would probably ship a week or two after the announcement.

wayland1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Clearly nobody has answers. But the best way to guess is to go by past trends. last year in January there was a memory upgrade, so there MIGHT be a 32gb iphone. that would the only hardware change to the current iphone line. but it would probably just cost $400 in stead of $300. They would probably ship a week or two after the announcement.

See... A $400 32gb phone wouldn't bother me. While I'd love 32gb, I think I could easily manage 16gb. I just wouldn't want to see 32 for the same price as my 16...

Theaser

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
See... A $400 32gb phone wouldn't bother me. While I'd love 32gb, I think I could easily manage 16gb. I just wouldn't want to see 32 for the same price as my 16...

I would wait a few more days, preferably till Wednesday when all those Apple Keynotes are done. Software updates and all that, better camera....I think they should update their outdated camera. Even my 3 year old camera phone can shoot video :( , very disappointing Apple.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I would wait a few more days, preferably till Wednesday when all those Apple Keynotes are done. Software updates and all that, better camera....I think they should update their outdated camera. Even my 3 year old camera phone can shoot video :( , very disappointing Apple.

The lack of video is software, not hardware based

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I wouldn't worry about anything minus the 32GB iPhone...thats possible

+1. It's been too soon since the last major update to pimp that ride. Unless you're looking at the iPhone nano rumors, you won't see anything more. I would still wait to see what Apple does.

randomusername

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
Don't count on any hardware updates at MacWorld '09. A software update is imminent, seeing as Apple's promo picture has the date listed as "iPhone Alley" on the calendar app. This show that they're going to focus on the iPhone. The only thing hardware wise that may be updated to the iPhone 3G is a 32GB version. At MacWorld, I see software updates, 32GB iPhone 3G, and the iPhone Nano. If you want the iPhone 3G with an improved camera, higher pixel density, and all that other stuff you guys are bitching about, you'll have to wait until around WWDC '09 (and those aren't guaranteed).

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
Pricing changes and the 32GB model are possible, so I would wait for that because you may save some cash. And GOD I'm hoping for a software update! I would love them to have this update be a substantial upgrade along the lines of video recorder, copy/paste etc.

patdesignsinc

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2008
Pricing changes and the 32GB model are possible, so I would wait for that because you may save some cash. And GOD I'm hoping for a software update! I would love them to have this update be a substantial upgrade along the lines of video recorder, copy/paste etc.

Just jailbreak your iPhone, problem solved. You get a video recorder AND copy and paste, along with a ton of other useful apps that Apple keeps rejecting. I was apprehensive to JB my 3G because I had so many problems with the first gen iPhone jailbreak. But, since I did, couldn't be happier.

wayland1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Just jailbreak your iPhone, problem solved. You get a video recorder AND copy and paste, along with a ton of other useful apps that Apple keeps rejecting. I was apprehensive to JB my 3G because I had so many problems with the first gen iPhone jailbreak. But, since I did, couldn't be happier.

Eh... The reason I switched to a mac in the first place was because I loved that I could open the box from the store, and not have to change anything on it. There really weren't any programs to add (Office really was the only one...), and none to take off (Bloatware).

The reason I'm getting rid of the fuze is because it needs new roms, or needs special applications added to it just so it can perform better. I like how the iPhone performs out of the box.

Software-wise, I have no doubt apple will add copy-paste, and the other features I want. I'm just more concerned about hardware. I'm sure I'll love my iPhone either way, but if a new iPhone comes out with a small blinking LED hidden next to the earpiece... well... i'm the kind of guy who would want that, and would feel bad buying a $300 device 5 days before it's 'obsolete'

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
32 GB and iphone nano are both possible, but since you said neither of those is a big deal to you, I guess you're ok to buy. That said... it's more 2 days. I'd wait, just in case.

wayland1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
32 GB and iphone nano are both possible, but since you said neither of those is a big deal to you, I guess you're ok to buy. That said... it's more 2 days. I'd wait, just in case.

Wait... I was under the impression that the Keynote was Friday.... Am I wrong???

wayland1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Ahhhh... I see...

Well... I guess I'll sleep on it. I mean, buying now, I should be safe from any first-run issues we'll see with a new phone... But, I may be missing out on a better model? Sure, they may say: iPhone 3g2, and only say it has a 32gb HD, but in a month we'll find out it has a 900mhz nuclear powered processor with detuned OLED display :rolleyes:....

Theaser

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008

They started manufacturing 32 GB chips, but we don't know if iPhone would carry it. I'm waiting because possibly they might add software updates.

I'm going to get an iPhone too :D

deadsouls

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
The lack of video is software, not hardware based

um no its definitely hardware. it can only take a max of 6-15 fps at once.

and there is no copy and paste even for jailbroken iphones except for that one buggy version that i dont think ended up getting anywhere.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
There probably will be Since I bought a 16gb one today. If so, what's Apple's exchange policy should I want the 32gb one?

Theaser

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
There probably will be Since I bought a 16gb one today. If so, what's Apple's exchange policy should I want the 32gb one?

Since last time when the 3G came out, AT&T let users exchange their iPhones for the iPhone 3G if they bought their iPhone past a certain date. But I do not know anything about now.

Daveecee

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2008
FL

You have 14 days, and I believe the restocking fee is waived because they open the product themselves in-store.

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
I'm actually waiting to buy an iPhone on Pay as you go in the UK, but if the iPhone Nano rumours are true, I'm guessing something has to happen with the iPhone 3G as well...I will be going for an iPhone and NOT the nano, but even if they do a capacity bump, that'd be good enough for me :)

Mikey B

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
the island
Sorry guys, I know you're probably all sick of this by now.

I'll be trading in an AT&T fuze for an iPhone 3g, most likely tomorrow. I would prefer not to wait until next week, but if there's a big chance the new iPhone will be available soon, I'll have to.

So here we are 6 days away, and there's no pre-released iPhone cases (at least for the regular size), so there likely wont be a drastically new phone (I don't care for an iPhone nano...).

-Upgraded camera
-anything else?

I'm definitely of the opinion that anyone waiting for a rev to the iPhone is going to be highly disappointed. IMO, a 32GB release is a very slim possibility, and there will be NO other hardware changes.

I also don't buy the iPhone Nano rumors. Case manufacturers showing a supposed nano case are only cashing in on rumors by getting you to look at their site.

um no its definitely hardware. it can only take a max of 6-15 fps at once.

and there is no copy and paste even for jailbroken iphones except for that one buggy version that i dont think ended up getting anywhere.

Like has been mentioned, the lack of video recording has nothing to do with hardware. The iPhone is perfectly capable of vid-recording and performs surprisingly well.

No point in waiting, unless you like to wait for no good reason.

My thoughts exactly

You have 14 days, and I believe the restocking fee is waived because they open the product themselves in-store.

That is incorrect. Any open iPhones will be subject to a restocking fee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.