Less than three months and no rumors about 3g?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by puffnstuff, Jul 18, 2009.

1. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

I'm kinda shocked that nothing has come out yet except "oh, there will be a camera". I am not expecting blurry shots at this point but I expected to hear a lot more from "sources". More info is coming in about the tablet than the touch 3g. Kinda worried the 3g is going to be a bust like the 2g with no major update except for a camera but I would like to see more.

2. Lancing macrumors member

[EDITED]
    NM, I thought '3G' was referring to cell network connectivity like the Archos 5G which didn't make any sense to me given the iPhone already exists. Shoulda clicked it was referring to 3rd generation.

3. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Yeah... it's been pretty quiet. I also wonder why.

4. puffnstuff thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't think it's possible for Apple to nip leaks. So bad sign I think. Hopefully something starts to come out the closer it gets to September

I was hoping to replace me 1g with 3g but maybe I will have to wait a little longer until it is actually worthwhile . :(

5. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

Lets think positive lol. Maybe apple is holding its secrets a LOT better then usual, maybe its something Really big that we haven't even heard rumors about so they may be keeping it under raps extra good.

This what I want to believe may not be true but oh well.

6. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Hmm...
    - Images of Touch cases with a hole for the camera lens.
    - Reports Apple is buying up 32gb ram chips (takes two to make a 64gb Touch).
    - A new iPhone comes out that has a faster processor and a lower price.

Looks like a good rumor is founded: The 3rd gen Touch will have a camera, be available in 64gb, with a faster processor (mainly for video recording and editing), and cheaper price.

But yea, it's old news.

7. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

The 2G was a 'bust'? Really? Becuase from where I'm sitting Apple took the first gen product and made a ton of small changes that added up to a massive improvement. Double the capacity across the board, faster processor (the difference between the first and second gen touch is silly), MUCH nicer case, external volume controls - might all be little things but they also all add up.

The simple fact is this - Apple aren't going to introduce anything radical becuase they don't need to. The radical product was the original iPhone and iPod Touch and no-one's caught up yet. Thus Apple can get away with an evolutionary approach to their product line. As someone said above, we already know the most likely additions thanks to rumours - 64Gb, Camera, Faster processor and GPU - and that'll be more than enough to keep the Touch in the lead.

Seriously, why do people seem to want brand new and totally redesigned products every single year? The only time I can think of Apple going radically different in its iPod line was the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Gen Nano's and then only because the 3rd gen didn't sell well. I'd much rather they introduced a raft of smaller changes each year, refined the experience and worked on reliability and quality control above all else.

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Well. The tablet info has been coming for over decade, shows you how accurate that is. You young ones forget the days of when Apple did not have stuff leak. For the most part, things don't or if they do, it's in a flood of last minute guesses. With the exception of things like the nano, major products leaking months in advance is somewhat out of the ordinary.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Which we don't know.

Because it matters more.

We don't know this.

The 3rd gen iPod touch will double capacity, probably for the same prices.

10. Avenger macrumors 6502

I don't know about keeping the current prices. 64GB is a nice jump in capacity. Selling it at $399 would be great but it would make it more attractive than an iPhone. When the 32GB version of the 1G ipod Touch came out mid-year it was $499 which got dropped to $399 a few months later with the 2g version.

11. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

they may get rid of 8 gig and have the 16 gig sell at the 8gig price then the 32 at 16gig price and IF they release a 64gig they might sell that at the price of 32gig

this is just me spit balling here like

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

That whole calling thing is totally overrated. I would doubt that they would go back up in pricing, it just seems counter-intuitive.

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yeah, you're right. Paying $300 for a device has never been more enticing than paying $2,500 for a device. :rolleyes:

More iPod touches have been sold than iPhones. More iPod touches will ALWAYS be sold than iPhones. Apple doesn't care.

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Which is why Touches get to have paid software updates....

15. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

thanks for saving me some time 4D Thinker... Also, to add from the quoted post, Apple did make a job offer for an iPod camera engineer - http://jobs.apple.com/index.ajs?BID=1&method=mExternal.showJob&RID=34779&CurrentPage=6

OP, there have been some rumors as mentioned, but I think you're truly looking for some Apple leaks. The link I mentioned above is the closest source to a "questionable" leak I have seen coming from Apple themselves.

CrackBookPro:cool:

16. puffnstuff thread starter macrumors 65816

I felt the 2g did not warrant me upgrading and they could have done more with the iPod Touch and I am hoping that they will with the 3g. So far even though the rumors have been pretty obvious I was expecting the closer we get the more info we get like can the camera record video stuff like that. The rumor well seems to running dry for the touch maybe it is because it's still early.

EDIT: Ok I feel better now