Let Me Get This Right...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shambo, Sep 30, 2009.

1. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

I could spend x hundreds of dollars on 3 years Applecare on the Monday only to accidentally drop and dent my precious MBP on the Tuesday, thus voiding my warranty? :eek:

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Yep, thats why its best to wait until the day before your manufacturer warranty expires before getting applecare to extend it.

3. Yairp macrumors newbie

It will void your warranty, assuming they know it has been dropped, so... great news! you were right.

4. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

And you would be smart to call Apple and cancel your extended warranty and receive a refund for the balance of the warranty.

5. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Yeah? Warranties are voided when destroying the item yourself.

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

A looooonnnnng while back when I dropped my Titanium PB (shattered the screen, broke a hinge etc, worked fine still and booted via external screen) they replaced the optical drive under warranty (even though it was likely destroyed from the drop).

But that was the Apple of 8.5 years ago.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That is good news but there are too many reports on this site alone that clearly show that if a device shows signs of "abuse" then the warranty is void. This applies to everything Apple best I can tell, even the "pro" machines. ;)

8. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Maybe you would only drop it because it is 15 inches. The 13 inchers are less likely to be dropped :p

9. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

If you crash your car don't expect the manufactures warranty to cover your broken car, it's really just simple logic.

10. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

My how things have changed at apple. :-S

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

that's with any manufacturers warranty. It only covers manufacturing defects. you damage it yourself through negligence apple shouldn't be on the hook to pay for the repair.

12. shambo thread starter macrumors 6502a

shambo

But how can they prove the fault has occurred due to the drop? :confused:

13. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

But what if you got in a mild bumper damage only collision, should the car manufacturer deny service to the engine? transmission? heater? A/C? battery?

Where do we draw the line? This is the problem.

Apple would NOT give me a refund for my warranty on my MBA that was stolen. Nor would Apple transfer it to my new MBA. So, don't count on that either...

Lastly, I agree that AppleCare should be bought within the last few weeks of a Mac's initial one-year warranty expiring. And even then, find an AppleCare wholesale seller where one can get a good 60% discount. That shows how much Apple is making in the long run.

Also remember, AppleCare does provide protection for most peripherals too... like an external keyboard, mighty mouse, Time Capsule, and etc. (not display in most cases but can be purchased for $40 to cover display).

14. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

They don't care, not any more. You could prove in several ways that you had a fault that wasn't caused by any drop and apple won't give a flying fart. They've found a way to get out of it. Part of me thinks that's fair enough but the other part of me is just fed up with apple being such arrogant, inflexible jackasses. Just how it is though.

15. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

I would say Applecare is insurance - not a simple manufacturer's warranty.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

That's crazy. You have the right to cancel.

Cancellation
    You may cancel this Plan at any time for any reason. If you purchased the Plan in the United States or Canada, cancel by sending written notice to AppleCare Administration, P.O. Box 149125, Austin, TX 78714-9125, U.S. Your notice must be accompanied by a copy of your proof of purchase of the Plan. Unless state law provides otherwise, if you cancel within 30 days of your Plan purchase, or receipt of these Terms and Conditions, whichever occurs later, you will receive a full refund less the value of any service provided under the Plan; if you cancel more than 30 days after your receipt of this Plan, you will receive a pro-rata refund of the Plan’s original purchase price, less (i) a cancellation fee of U.S. $25 or 10 percent of the pro-rata amount, whichever is less, and (ii) the value of any service provided to you under the Plan. Unless state law provides otherwise, Apple may cancel this Plan if service parts for the Covered Equipment become unavailable, upon 30 days’ written notice. If Apple cancels this Plan, you will receive a pro-rata refund for the Plan’s unexpired term. For Plans purchased and enrolled/activated outside the U.S. or Canada, please contact the regional Apple subsidiary for the country of purchase.

17. mags631 Guest

You might want to ask the question from the other direction to see the issue with that line of thinking.

18. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

And I would say that pigs fly into outer space! Doesn't make it correct though ;)

19. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

What exactly makes you think that? It's marketed as an extended warranty - nothing more, nothing less.

If you want to cover yourself against accidental damage, get a third party insurance.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

AppleCare is a service contract. It is not insurance.

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Crazy is right. Apple will transfer and flat cancel the warranty if necessary.

22. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

If this is just a hypothetical question then I don't really have an answer, but if this actually did happen to you I would take it in and see what happens. You have nothing to lose. I wouldn't expect them to fix it but if you go in what that expectation, you've got nothing to lose.

In somewhat of a related story, my old roommate ordered an iBook G4 from the web-site. One the day it arrived, someone knocked it off his desk at school and it dented one whole corner by the CD drive. The computer worked, CD drive was broken, no other physical damage and it just looked warped (I mean you couldn't really see an obvious point of impact). He brought it back to an Apple store and said it was shipped that way and they gave him a new one. I don't want to debate the dishonest aspect of this, just using it as an example that anything is possible, just be realistic about it in case the most likely scenario does happen.

23. belvdr macrumors 603

I wouldn't. Insurance covers accidents and unforeseen damages. Think about auto insurance or homeowner's/renters insurance. They won't pay to repair an item that breaks due to manufacturer's defects. Of course, now there are so-called insurance plans that you pay a monthly fee so that you don't have to pay to repair anything (very bad idea to use these).

Warranties cover manufacturer defects.

In this case, AppleCare is no more than an extended warranty.

24. Pro31 macrumors regular

HP sells a warranty where it covers even if its dropped.

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You make it sound like its a court case - there is no burden of proof. Apple doesn't have to prove anything. You drop/damage the computer, you warranty is void