let's all rant about cell phones

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by roisin and mac, Mar 22, 2008.

1. roisin and mac macrumors 6502

Gah! I wanna rant about mobile phones. I want to real badly :p

Get out while you can if you don't want to be bothered, but I sure would like an audience to share my annoyance with!

I am so pissed off at myself for acting like a total sheep and getting an all-in-one cell phone with built-in media player and web browser etc, which has turned out a lousy media player--poor sound, pain in the neck controls, the works! I mean it bugs me so much, I am ready to revert to using my old little Creative MP3 player for on-the-go music :eek::eek:

I am with music the way other people are with their morning coffee; I get cranky if I can't have it :). I listen to music, like many people, while I'm doing chores around the house, when I'm in the shower or online or on the bus or out walking. But I also have it on when I'm out on a shoot, or making stuff--even out shopping. And ever since I was like 9, when somebody gave me a Walkman tape player for Christmas, I've never been without some kind of personal music player. I've owned that first walkman, then another when the first one broke, then a discman, a minidisc player, and finally the Creative. So I don't go out without a music player unless it's to go to the corner store or something ;)

Anyway, up until November I had this set up comprised of one lame little cell phone with few features (of which I only ever used about 10%: making and receiving calls <g>), and my trusty, if ugly, Creative. Then around a year ago the creative began to play up, and I had to start considering alternatives. At that time I started seing more and more phones with built-in music and media players about, and thought, wow, what a cool idea--that way I'd have one less device to carry around, especially seing as the phone was used very little. I liked it because I'm always on the look out for ways to reduce the bulk 'essentials' I always have to carry with me--all the bits and pieces like money, keys, phone, notepad etc., soon add up to quite a bit of space and weight, and I try to keep them to a minimum, because when I'm lugging my camera gear pretty near everywhere I go, the last thing I need is a great big handbag filled with like 15 pounds of stuff, 'just in case' ;) So I did the research, fiddled with a number of phones extensively at the store (well, as extensively as I could; most phones didn't have any media in them, so you couldn't try them as well as you might) then finally settled on a Sony Ericsson 'Walkman' phone.

I figured, these music phone thingies are everywhere, they've been around for a good two years, and I'm buying one of the better models. So I should be in for a good experience music wise, no reason to think it would be a POS, right? WRONG!! boy was I wrong. The worse thing is the problems kind of snuck up on me; I didn't realise how tinny and annoying I really found the sound until I'd spent some time listening to all my favorites, in the same kind of noise levels and activities as I had with the creative, and getting a headache out of it, I swear! and the controls are just completely irrational! For instance, the 'back' button which lets you navigate between the various folders is tiny (about 3 x 4 mm) and located exactly above the equally sized 'end call/exit' button. Which, if pressed, sends you clear out of the phone's player app, and you have to go through all the folders again. Arghhh! it makes me want to roar when it happens, and it happens a lot. I suppose the problem is that I thought I was getting a music/media player that lets you call people and receive calls, when I was really buying a phone that also lets you listen to a few tunes or watch a couple of short vids when you're sat bored at the dentist's. Not a serious music player like I needed, but a serious phone; that's why the battery lasts so little when the music player app is running.

So I decided to go a bit retro, and ditch the all-in-one idea and go for a teeny-tiny mobile for just calling and texting, combined with a proper music player (like a nano :p) for most of the time, and leave either at home when I don't need to have both. So I went to see what I could find in terms of very small phones--as in, small enough to fit on my expanded keyring with the multitool and maglite. And would you believe it, there is no such thing anymore! They're all great big bricks with integrated music players and web browsers and what not! Booo hooo! How bl***y frustrating!

So go on people and rant about what you really hate about your mobile!

I feel better already <g>

2. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

my phone sucks for sure, i can't even get reception in my own house. i'm just about done with cell phone companies with their crazy charges.:mad:

3. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Funny, I found Sony Ericsson phones to be very good for music.

But you are right - they are phones first, music players second.

4. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

rogers rips people off

we are paying around 150 for

3 mobile phones
    - 300 shared minutes
    - 2500 texts for 2 of 3
    - voicemail for 1 of 3
    - unlimitted weekends and nights after 9pm

5. roisin and mac thread starter macrumors 6502

:eek:wow, you relly are much worse off than I am! No reception even in your house!
    I guess maye I had rather high expectations. Still, hopefully I can find a very small phone and then sell this one on to get the small phone and a nano *shrug*

:eek: that's a lot of money! and besides who talks much after 9pm to find use for the unlimited calls? weird they are ;)

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I love my phone....helps SO much for school.

Battery could last longer, sometimes I run out, if I use it a TON.
    3rd party apps would have been nice from the start...also I used 1425 text last month, while I have 1500. But before last month, I used like 700, so its a pain to have to worry about that.

Also the price for out of contract phones are high, after being used to contracted phones

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I make calls. I receive calls.
    I send SMS. I receive SMS.

I don't do anything else with my mobile, and life seems OK.

8. The Menacer macrumors member

How could you let them rip you off like that?!? That's insane!

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Rogers pretty much has a monopoly in Canada. It's either let them rip you off or don't have a cell phone at all

10. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I'm pretty happy with my iPhone, other than AT&T charging a fortune for unknown reasons. Plus, I wish I could truthfully unlock it so I could use my United Mobile SIM with it, and I wish it had UMTS 2100 for when I go to Asia.

11. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

If I could remove the phone function from my phone and use it as a purely SMS device, I would. If not for the fact that sometimes you just need to actually make a call*, I'd have smashed mine with an axe a long time ago. I'm so tired of people using cell phones as a way to update everyone they know about every little detail. Two out of three twentysomethings on the bus are chatting away or otherwise playing with their confounded contraptions.

Sometimes I'll just turn mine off for a week...

*Landline is almost as expensive, and I can't do VOIP because of the lack of ISP transparency and neutrality in Canada.

12. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

i hate cell phones
    we should go back to the early 90's when there was hardly any need for one

13. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

How about the fact that cell companies can charge you money and make you sign a contract all for a locked phone. That practice should be illegal in the US, as it is in other countries.

I don't mind signing a contract if I get a free phone in the process, but it's not much of a phone if it's locked to one carrier, is it?

14. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

There isn't any more need for one now than there was then. People have simply convinced themselves that they need to have them.

15. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

They're certainly a convenience, however.

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That's pretty much where I stand. It'd be nice to have one but I don't see how it'd improve my life.

Keep in mind none of my friends with cellular phones check their voice mail and their phones are always off. After this behavior I've taken the stance of never checking my answering machine either...

17. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

All cell phones suck. Everyone should have an iPhone cause everyone should be iApple. Then everyone would be exactly the same. hmm, wait a minute, maybe i should re-think that.

i have always enjoyed the plain nokia series phones. my current favorite is the 2610. i paid absolutely nothing for it, and all it does is make phone calls and send text messages. it has a color screen, but i dont understand why. i liked the older ones that had a plain monochrome screen, they worked perfectly well for making phone calls. aside from the fact that the cellular phone networks are bad in general. how often do you pick up a land line and NOT hear a dial tone, or have trouble connecting to who you are calling? why do we as consumers tolerate cell phones that work like 85% of the time?

and what about text messaging??? arent text messages just data being sent over the cell phone network? i pay $20 and get unlimited internet data, but for some reason i am charged seperatly per text message (with 200 free or whatever) and do you know what? the price of text messages has gone UP over the past few years, while the price of minutes and the price of data has gone down. why is this? this is simply because someone found a way to rip-off the cell phone customer. so why do we put up with it???

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I need one. I don't have a landline. My cell phone is my only way to keep in touch with friends and family, and in the event of an emergency, call for help.

19. huntnboy04 macrumors regular

iPhone thoughts

I like the the iPhone, that's why I bought one. The UI is the best bar none. The internet is good but edge is slow a lot. And the syncing with a mac is flawless, but I think Apple needs different priorities. I'm not really into third party apps, games or anything the iPhone does what I need it to do for the most part regarding software, but I do think they should still offer the SDK, etc. for users.

My ranting, the coolest phone ever concieved, so far, can't do SMS, give me a break. No GPS. The camera could have zoom and video. And with all these apps the battery life of these non-changable batteries is going to be going down very fast. Mine has already and I know i use my ipohone a lot less than some

I just saying no SMS before games, and like the MR article said Apple might be keeping track of high scores of games, com'on Apple, and that f@&king price drop. So when someone asks me about the iPhone first thing I say "no SMS"
    and they can't believe it, a $600 cell phone can't get a pic message. So unless Apple rethinks the iPhone a little I'll keep telling people to explore other cell phones. I'm drunk and its late. Peace.

20. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Sounds like the OP needs a iPhone! :D

I know what you mean about some being crap though, I have a Nokia 6230 and Sony Ericsson D750, and have a broken Samsung D500. I can tell you they all suck, the SE is not THAT bad though, but its old and its breaking.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed! I don't own one. I HATE cell phones. They are quite simply the worst invention ever. I don't want to hear about your mother's mastectomy on my way to work when I'm sitting on the train. I really don't. I also don't give a crap that Brad cheated on Buffy over the weekend. I rarely hear anyone use the damn things for business during my rush hour commute. It's always gossip. Cell phones SUCK.

22. bartelby macrumors Core

But that's what iPods were invented for; blotting out the utter nonsense other people say...

23. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Old and cranky. :D

I've never seen a successful freelancer, or any tradesperson for that matter, without one.

24. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Let me start by saying that not only does Rogers suck, but any Canadian cell phone company sucks, especially with data.

Data on a Rogers cell phone that doesn't have a data plan costs about $5/MB. Imagine using an iPhone on the internet at $5/MB.

Another complaint is lack of 3G on the iPhone. GSM on the iPhone is fine in Canada, since (afaik) there are no 3G networks here. However, I plan on going to South Korea to teach English in the fall, and they only have 3G networks.

Apple is always bleeding edge, yet they lack the latest protocol for mobile devices. Rumors of inadequate battery life have been heard. However, MANY other cell phones have full 3G support with big screens, and we don't hear many whining about unacceptable battery life on those phones. My friend in Seoul has a 3G phone and has no problem with her battery.

Apple, release a 3G iPhone this summer please. I am getting a new phone in South Korea, since my current phone isn't 3G, and I would love it to be your lovely iPhone.

25. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I disagree. Of course a cell phone isn't one of the basic needs for survival, but neither is electricity, pluming, or the wheel - they're all just luxuries that make our lives safer and easier. Since they're invention, cell phones have saved uncountable lives, either in the event of car accidents, natural disasters, or something as simple as reporting a drunk driver.

I simply don't understand people's unreasonable hatred towards cell phones. Sure, the people who use them can be a nuisance at times, but they're also a great innovation that's made our world a more convenient and safer place.