Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I like my phone. Sure it could have a 3.5mm headphone jack, but otherwise I can't complain. Well, i did have to visit XDA to get a usable OS on it, and once someone hacks android for it, I'll try that out too :-D

T-Mobile Wing

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Old and cranky. :D

I've never seen a successful freelancer, or any tradesperson for that matter, without one.

Haha! well darlin'- I'm doing just fine. I've got e-mail and my laptop never leaves my side. It's worked very well for me so far. BTW- I just got the film festival business back. Last year was an absolute disaster for them, so I'm back doing the creative direction again.

roisin and mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Muha hahahah! nice hatchet job people!

I love my phone....helps SO much for school.
Also the price for out of contract phones are high, after being used to contracted phones

Is that high school or college then? And I know what you mean about the out of contract prices. This time I had decided to switch to contract for that SE phone, and the price difference was staggering on every single phone I asked about. so at least I didn't pay full price, which is some relief for the disappointment :rolleyes:

I make calls. I receive calls.
I send SMS. I receive SMS.

I don't do anything else with my mobile, and life seems OK.

Exactly!! That's exactly what I want to do now, too (actually not even sending texts; I never managed to get used to the typing thing. Now all my friends and family know not to expect texts from me, I always call :))

Rogers pretty much has a monopoly in Canada. It's either let them rip you off or don't have a cell phone at all

wow I didn't know that. I always see this particular company mentioned in relation to canada and cellphones, but I'd no idea they were so powerful.

If I could remove the phone function from my phone and use it as a purely SMS device, I would. If not for the fact that sometimes you just need to actually make a call*, I'd have smashed mine with an axe a long time ago. I'm so tired of people using cell phones as a way to update everyone they know about every little detail. Two out of three twentysomethings on the bus are chatting away or otherwise playing with their confounded contraptions.

Sometimes I'll just turn mine off for a week...

*Landline is almost as expensive, and I can't do VOIP because of the lack of ISP transparency and neutrality in Canada.

yeah it seems like some people use the cellphone to chat like they would on a landline, even when they dohave a landline! I never got into that myself. Then again, I guess it gives some kids a sense of independence, because they can chat to friends without the parents breathing down their necks or worse, listening in!! I mean I was lucky enough not to be saddled with this kind of intrusive and tactless parent (which also meant I didn't need to hide stuff from them, lol) but I sure know plenty of people who did. you wouldn't believe the stories of nice, honest and hardworking kids whose parents used to listen in on their conversations on the phone or rifle through their diaries and what not when they were at school--especially the moms! so much for the idea that moms are inherently more understanding and more likely to give kids a break, lol. It was sad. So I guess if you're say 15-16 years old it's nice to have a way to communicate without having your privacy invaded, which you really need at some ages. But yeah, when I see people my age, in their twenties, filling in their friends on every. single. detail. of their night out with Kitty and Johnny and Mary, it really makes me wanna howl.

How about the fact that cell companies can charge you money and make you sign a contract all for a locked phone. That practice should be illegal in the US, as it is in other countries.

I don't mind signing a contract if I get a free phone in the process, but it's not much of a phone if it's locked to one carrier, is it?

Phew yeah, I didn't even know they did that. What a bad idea (well for the customers. I'm sure the companies find it a great idea :rolleyes:) It is SO much more sensible and convenient to be able to switch carriers by switching sim cards--otherwise you have to get a whole new phone and a whole new contract. and the worst is if you happen to need both in tandem. I went to college abroad and had these real long holidays, especially in the summer, so I had to go back home. Having an unlocked phone allowed me to just keep two different sim cards, one for each country, and one device; it was much more economical and neat than having two devices. I remember I used to switch them round in the plane just before touchdown lol.

There isn't any more need for one now than there was then. People have simply convinced themselves that they need to have them.

Well, I guess that might be true, up to a point. But then there's the fact that if nigh on everyone around you has one, it gets much more difficult not to have one yourself; you're rather expected to, and it becomes harder to do basic stuff in your daily life. For instance, where I am right now people are total phone fiends, lol. It's not unusual to see people with two cellphones, and we're not talking business types here. So a lot of the time, I get asked for a cell number if they want to call me back from the power company or whatever, and also you can see that the public payphones aren't kept as well as they could be, because they're hardly ever used. So you kind of get one because it can't be avoided given where you are. Last year I tried not having one for a while. I left it at home and pretended I didn't have one. I lasted about two weeks tops (and it was a period of low activity in my life, I wasn't doing anything much). It was a real pain in the neck.

They're certainly a convenience, however.

Yep, one thing I love about it is that it's generally easier to change your mobile number than your landline, so it means I can give out my phone number much more freely than I used to, because now I know that if some company gets a hold of it and starts spamming, I can always cut my losses. helps protect your privacy I guess in that respect.

That's pretty much where I stand. It'd be nice to have one but I don't see how it'd improve my life.

Keep in mind none of my friends with cellular phones check their voice mail and their phones are always off. After this behavior I've taken the stance of never checking my answering machine either...

That's strange, I don't see why you would get one if you don't intend to keep it on at least for part of the day. I have found it rather useful, living as I have in fairly big places all my life; it's harder to plan accurately for things like the time it takes you to get places, 'cause you might think it'll take half an hour, but then there's a street demo by the trash collectors or whatever and the streets are cut off, the bus can't get through and dumps the passengers two stops before yours and you have to walk all the way. It's nice to be able to let people know you're going to be a little late, they can go and have a sit down somewhere rather than pace around waiting for you :)

so why do we put up with it???

That, my friend, is a Bl***y Good Question <g>

I need one. I don't have a landline. My cell phone is my only way to keep in touch with friends and family, and in the event of an emergency, call for help.

It was the same for lots of people at uni. I got a house early on, so I had a proper landline, but for people living in halls, they would have had to use the phones in there, and amazingly it would have cost them more to do that than even Pay As You Go! Definitely more than a decent cell phone plan, so that's what they did.

I like the the iPhone, that's why I bought one. The UI is the best bar none. The internet is good but edge is slow a lot. And the syncing with a mac is flawless, but I think Apple needs different priorities. I'm not really into third party apps, games or anything the iPhone does what I need it to do for the most part regarding software, but I do think they should still offer the SDK, etc. for users.

My ranting, the coolest phone ever concieved, so far, can't do SMS, give me a break. No GPS. The camera could have zoom and video. And with all these apps the battery life of these non-changable batteries is going to be going down very fast. Mine has already and I know i use my ipohone a lot less than some

I just saying no SMS before games, and like the MR article said Apple might be keeping track of high scores of games, com'on Apple, and that f@&king price drop. So when someone asks me about the iPhone first thing I say "no SMS"
and they can't believe it, a $600 cell phone can't get a pic message. So unless Apple rethinks the iPhone a little I'll keep telling people to explore other cell phones. I'm drunk and its late. Peace.

Heh. hopefully the hang over's not too bad :D I didn't know the iphone doesn't do SMS!
Sounds like the OP needs a iPhone! :D

I know what you mean about some being crap though, I have a Nokia 6230 and Sony Ericsson D750, and have a broken Samsung D500. I can tell you they all suck, the SE is not THAT bad though, but its old and its breaking.

Heh, I know. I'd thought of that. Still, there's no iphone yet where I am (well, some people seem to have one, including some units bought on the sly for *drumroll* ...the equivalent of 1500 dollars :eek: :eek: Still though, it has occurred to me that the iphone is still a type of smartphone, albeit a more compact and versatile one than many blackberries or what nots (which don't have the nice media player, for starters). And I'm not a smartphone user, I really don't need one. In fact after the experience of using a larger phone with lots of features, I would say I actually prefer NOT having it all in one. See, with a separate phone, I can take with me just the phone when I'm on a night out with friends (seriously even I am unlikely to listen to much music when I go to the movies with my mates), and I want to just stuff some things in my pockets and get a move on.

Agreed! I don't own one. I HATE cell phones. They are quite simply the worst invention ever. I don't want to hear about your mother's mastectomy on my way to work when I'm sitting on the train. I really don't. I also don't give a crap that Brad cheated on Buffy over the weekend. I rarely hear anyone use the damn things for business during my rush hour commute. It's always gossip. Cell phones SUCK.

But that's what iPods were invented for; blotting out the utter nonsense other people say...

exactly! I notice it saves me from a lot of annoyance not to have to listen to other people being obnoxious, I always get to where I am going feeling much calmer when I got my music with me than when I don't.

Let me start by saying that not only does Rogers suck, but any Canadian cell phone company sucks, especially with data.

Data on a Rogers cell phone that doesn't have a data plan costs about $5/MB. Imagine using an iPhone on the internet at $5/MB.

Another complaint is lack of 3G on the iPhone. GSM on the iPhone is fine in Canada, since (afaik) there are no 3G networks here. However, I plan on going to South Korea to teach English in the fall, and they only have 3G networks.

Apple is always bleeding edge, yet they lack the latest protocol for mobile devices. Rumors of inadequate battery life have been heard. However, MANY other cell phones have full 3G support with big screens, and we don't hear many whining about unacceptable battery life on those phones. My friend in Seoul has a 3G phone and has no problem with her battery.

Apple, release a 3G iPhone this summer please. I am getting a new phone in South Korea, since my current phone isn't 3G, and I would love it to be your lovely iPhone.

I hope you'll get your 3G iphone, and I hope you enjoy your time teaching in South Korea. It sounds like a very exciting opportunity!

I disagree. Of course a cell phone isn't one of the basic needs for survival, but neither is electricity, pluming, or the wheel - they're all just luxuries that make our lives safer and easier. Since they're invention, cell phones have saved uncountable lives, either in the event of car accidents, natural disasters, or something as simple as reporting a drunk driver.

I simply don't understand people's unreasonable hatred towards cell phones. Sure, the people who use them can be a nuisance at times, but they're also a great innovation that's made our world a more convenient and safer place.

you rather sum up my attitude towards them. They're just tools, and therefore it's all about what we (individually and as a group) choose to do with them. Saying mobiles are by definition useless and annoying (because some people act annoying using them) is kind of the equivalent to those people saying that the internet is an evil thing because some people posted a horrid video on YouTube, totally ignoring the amazing opportunities for communication (and therefore knowledge) the medium affords. I remember looking at some online gallery of impressionist paintings when I was a high schooler for some paper or other I had to do for school, and my mom looking over my shoulder every once in a while and shaking her head at how easy it was for me to see those, compared to when she was my age. Then, the best she could do was sneak to the bookstore, and hope there was a decent picture book she could browse without being bothered and told she has to buy it (and boy were those expensive too!!). And there I was with my little dial-up connection, viewing scores of the things! Personally I don't find cell phones nearly as exciting as other tools, like modern computers or broadband Internet connections, but they're useful nonetheless. I guess what I deplore the most is that it seems like they are so much an item of fashion lately that it seems hard to find aomething basic and decent, but no more than that.

OK I'm not sure how you couldn't report a drunk driver or call the emergency services after witnessing a car accident using a public phone, but other stuff, like calling the road help when you got a dodgy engine at night on the highway in the middle of nowhere, well, I'm grateful for that, that's for sure :)

Seriously, I don't know what possessed me to get a phone with an integrated media player! Like I said at the beginning, I behaved like a total sheep, just went with the flock :) It's not bery typical of me, fortunately, but this time I got caught out. Live and learn ;)

The worse is that, being a photography geek, I know how lousy most phone cameras are--most of them underperform even compared to a fairly simple digital compact, let alone a better digital camera, or even a simple film camera! So whenever I see those ads going something like 'get our phone, you won't need to have a camera any more!' I always snort in derision. And I never made the transition that it would be much the same with music players! Ack! Total sheep I tell you :)
I like my phone. Sure it could have a 3.5mm headphone jack, but otherwise I can't complain. Well, i did have to visit XDA to get a usable OS on it, and once someone hacks android for it, I'll try that out too :-D

T-Mobile Wing

Android? What's android?

Oh, on another topic--does anybody know of a very small phone obtainable Europe, good for just calling, and with a vibrating alert?

apsterling

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
We're paying $100 at Verizon for:

0 Texts
1400 Minutes (Split tween 3 phones)

And my phone is just sad. Moto W315. I tried to convince my parents to let me spend my $40 on a KRZR instead of it, but they said "This one's free!" Then bought themselves the add-on pack, which costed as much as a KRZR with the fees. It drives me crazy. And now, after a year, my Phone's battery is on its way out.

On a higher note, I get great reception everywhere, and the phone is virtually indestructible.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
It was the same for lots of people at uni. I got a house early on, so I had a proper landline, but for people living in halls, they would have had to use the phones in there, and amazingly it would have cost them more to do that than even Pay As You Go! Definitely more than a decent cell phone plan, so that's what they did.

Yep, that's how it is with me. My house that I live in at college has a landline, but virtually everyone I call would be a long distance call, so it's cheaper for me to have a cell phone which is free long distance anywhere in the US.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Yep, that's how it is with me. My house that I live in at college has a landline, but virtually everyone I call would be a long distance call, so it's cheaper for me to have a cell phone which is free long distance anywhere in the US.
Along those lines, cell phones also allow you to choose virtually any area code in the US independent to the area in which you live. This way, not only can you call anyone in the US, but if the majority of your family/friends live in one area, it could be a local call for them too.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Along those lines, cell phones also allow you to choose virtually any area code in the US independent to the area in which you live. This way, not only can you call anyone in the US, but if the majority of your family/friends live in one area, it could be a local call for them too.

Yep. My parents can call me from their landline and not pay a thing regardless of where I am. Since most of my family still resides in St. Louis, I'll definitely be keeping my STL number regardless of where I move when I graduate college (and I'll get a GrandCentral number for the area I move to for the locals who don't have long distance)

Nowadays, long distance calls is no longer one of those things that really costs carriers more money, what with calls being routed over the same lines as the internet, and you don't pay more to access a server halfway around the world as opposed to one within the same city. But we've just been paying for it for so long and we're used to it and will continue to pay for it. I'd like to eventually see area codes being nothing more than 3 extra digits on a phone number, used to make sure we have enough phone numbers for everyone, and not something used to determine how much a call costs.

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
My moms cell phone has been acting weird lately. I can never get through to her on it, but everyone else doesn't seem to have any problems. I've also had an issue with text messaging. I will not receive a message until it has been sent for 2+ hours. It may be my phone having the problem (Motorola Slvr) but I hope not as I really don't want to get another one...Unless they give me a Razr2, no charge :)

LumbermanSVO

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Denton, TX
There isn't any more need for one now than there was then. People have simply convinced themselves that they need to have them.

In my industry (trucking) there is a HUGE need for a cell phone. My truck has a Qualcomm but it is only good for communicating with my company, not the customers. Even worse, it is only as fast as the lemming reading you messages and forwarding them to the right people.

Without my phone there would have been LOTS of times where I would have had to find a place to park my 70' long truck THEN try to find a pay phone (as they get harder to find these days) in order to contact a customer to get directions. Ever wondered around Wyoming looking for a pay phone on a cold winter day with the wind blowing? Yeah, A cell phone is a necessity in my industry.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
In my industry (trucking) there is a HUGE need for a cell phone. My truck has a Qualcomm but it is only good for communicating with my company, not the customers. Even worse, it is only as fast as the lemming reading you messages and forwarding them to the right people.

Without my phone there would have been LOTS of times where I would have had to find a place to park my 70' long truck THEN try to find a pay phone (as they get harder to find these days) in order to contact a customer to get directions. Ever wondered around Wyoming looking for a pay phone on a cold winter day with the wind blowing? Yeah, A cell phone is a necessity in my industry.

And my mum makes me take my phone whenever im out with friends so she can keep in contact, most parents do these days, and all teenagers have their phones on them all the time anyway, always on the phone or texting...

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
verizon is a piece of ****

my phone is over 2 years old but i refuse to get a new one because all of verizon's phones have their crappy os on them

and i don't get any service at college AT ALL... 0 bars in every building. it sucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.