Let's be honest... Who really uses FaceTime?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by InsanelyApple, Dec 8, 2010.

1. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I've used it once.. With myself. When I tested out the mac app.

Although I'm getting my parents a ipod touch for xmas. So It'll get a lot of usage after that so they can see the kids and all. Will also help when they need me to fix stuff and we're in different states.

Other than that though I have no use for it. For whatever reason 99% of my contacts that use iPhones went from 3G to 3GS when it came out, but I'm one of the few that went to iP4.

2. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I use it regularly with my sister in NJ. I can talk to her and see my nephews. He even gets upset when I hang up (he's 2). But I enjoy it even if I don't do it with many different people. My other sister doesn't own an i4, but has a Mac and does FaceTime with my sister in NJ too.

As soon as Apple make FaceTime for windows though, then I think there would be a boost in usage.

3. Jkazmeyer macrumors regular

My girlfriend and I use face time over 3G every day. It works really well in many different situations. It freezes occasionally, but I use it regularly in a garage under a building with spotty reception, and it works no problem. It is my favorite feature of the iPhone 4.

4. milamber macrumors regular

I kinda feel for one that at the current stage I could probably do without FaceTime!

I would use it a LOT more if you could use it to call Skype computers.

5. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

If you are like me, you'll find you use it a LOT more with the family once they have it available. I can't get people who have access to FaceTime to give me regular phone calls any more! They prefer the video AND the cost- ZERO!:)

6. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

7. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

For those who said they would like to use it over 3G, download the app Tango, it's free and allows you to FaceTime over the network & also not with just iPhone owners but other phones as well. Just used it last night, works real well for being over the network.

8. Mochi Hana macrumors 6502a

Mochi Hana

9. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I've used Tango a couple of times myself and think it's a good alternative. Not perfect- still a bit choppy for me- but I suspect that's more a function of the network than anything else. I think it's unfortunate that the carriers appear to be limiting FaceTime implementation to wifi only, but I suppose the argument is that it would clog the bandwidth if it was used over 3g AND the carriers wouldn't be making their money on cell calls.;)

10. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I used it a few times, but honestly I forget I have it.

11. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

I rarely use it...tried it twice...worked well though.

12. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

The problem is the way Apple integrates things, it introduces new revolutionary ideas but many times it hamstrings itself with very poor implementation. Lets take facetime as an example, only works on wifi, only works from iphone to iphone, they took a while to introduce a Mac client (not sure if there is a PC client yet), etc.

These are really not large issues to surmount, but they haven't been. In all reality if facetime were a universal standard, worked on 3g, and had applications for all the OSes it would fare much better. I'm not blaming Apple 100%, I'm sure ATT is being greedy with their 3g network. But Apple seems to find ways sometimes to make awesome features just meh.

13. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I think Apple has a lot of 'help' in the way things don't seem to get fully integrated. If I recall correctly, Jobs mentioned something about working on carriers to carry FaceTime via 3g.
    The Mac to iPhone4 implementation is still in beta and works effectively. I suspect we'll eventually see a PC version.
    And since the relatively new iPods have FaceTime and the rumors of the new iPads include cameras, I would assume that FaceTime will get more robust with time.

14. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I have never used it, and I really don't plan on ever using it. The majority of my friend's have Android phones, and I have a couple friend's who have iPhone 4's. However, I nor my friends do not have any interest in using facetime at all. I'm more than fine using up my anytime minutes or sending a quick text to communicate with them.

15. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Yes I do.

It's quite entertaining to say the least.

16. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I use it every day when I am on the road working to talk to my wife and son. It is fantastic especially with the hack to make it work on 3G.

17. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I use it with my girlfriend, she uses her ipod touch when I have to leave for work for weeks at a time. Also I use it with friends ip4 to ip4 mostly. When my 360 headsets crap out I'll facetime for 2 hours while i play xbox just for the audio to my friend.

18. samh macrumors 6502

My wife and I will often talk over FT when one of us is out of town. A few weeks ago, I got to "meet" my newest nephew via FaceTime (I'll meet him in person in a few more weeks). It's not life-changing but I do enjoy it and it has worked really well for us as long as we've given it at least a decent wi-fi connection.

19. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

20. JCCL macrumors 6502a

I use it frequently with my dad who also has an iPhone 4. However, we really use it because cell signal on my house is crap, therefore it is more reliable and easier to connect a Facetime call than a regular cellphone call.

21. Iphoneness macrumors 6502

Iphoneness

I use it every single day. My girlfriend lives 250 miles away and I got her an iPhone 4 for her bithday, so that's how we communicate.

22. miguueeel macrumors member

23. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

"It will have a lasting impact on the way we actually connect with each other" -Jony Ives

"it's going to change the way we communicate forever" - Greg Joswiak

I've only used it once and thats when I tested it out at an Apple store

24. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

When I'm at college I use it about once a week to talk to my parents. My father has an iPhone 4 plus all the Macs in the house have FaceTime. Much easier to use than Skype in my case cause I don't have to be on my computer.

25. Focker macrumors member

We use FT several times a week. My parents, my wifes dad, & my wifes aunt all have the new iPod touch. So it allows us to video chat for free since they all live 3000 miles away. Our kids get to see grandma & grandpa, aunts, cousins etc. It's great. Our iPhone 4's are extremely valuable because of this feature.