Let's boycott the carriers...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Frankfurt, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Frankfurt macrumors 6502

Frankfurt

I'd replace my Series "0" with the Series 3 LTE... but won't pay $120 in the U.S. for the added device fee.
    I bet if sufficient people "boycott" the LTE for this reason and provide sufficient noise via social media this fee will be eventually reduced or eliminated.
    :)

2. lparsons21 macrumors 6502

lparsons21

While I'm not going to boycott the carriers, I'm also not buying the new watch. I didn't buy the previous ones because they needed the phone around to be really functional. Adding cell to the new one made it the watch I would want. But not at a $400 upfront and $120/year cost!

3. jschu22 macrumors regular

Are you referring to the $10/month cost to have cellular capability on the device? If so, why stop at the Apple Watch? Why should you be expected to pay for a second line on your wireless plan? Or even just one phone? How dare they charge you for providing a service and additional functionality.

4. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

supply vs demand. the price will move up or down depending on demand.
    I don't see it moving to $5 or $15 any time soon.

5. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

It's not a second line. It's access to the SAME LINE on two devices. Literally no extra service other than access to the exact same plan your phone has but on a second device. $120 a year to simply be able to use your same data plan and phone line without any extra features or service.

6. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Technically speaking, you could give your AW to your wife/husband and have two people use a line.
    Honestly, $10/month is not a big deal.

7. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

I guess, if you want to share a phone number with someone, get all their calls and texts, sure. Sounds awesome. But it's still the same line. With the same features and limits you were already being charged for. $5 sounds reasonable. $10 is pushing it. On T-Mobile it will be $15 if you're already maxed out on your autopay discount. That's absurd to be honest. $180 a year for literally nothing new other than the ability to sometimes leave my phone behind.

8. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

The LTE watch uses LTE service. The amount of data usage is negligible. But you are still using their service and $10 is the fee.
    if you receive a package and a post card from the same sender, USPS still has to deliver both. Even though they are both leaving the same location and coming to the same house you have to put a stamp on the post card. If the post card was inserted in the package then the post card would be delivered for free as long as that card was not the straw that broke the camel's back and pushed the weight of the package to the next tier.

9. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

I think the better way is we all send email to Tim Cook to demand carriers to set the same price for all smart watches. If Samsung one is $5, Apple Watch should be $5 too. They can raise the price on Samsung or lower it on Apple Watch. It's only fair that way.
    Apple shouldn't let carriers abusing their customers.

10. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

For me, I don't really mind that the Watch requires connection to the iPhone to function. I always have my iPhone on me, and I do not have a need to have LTE on the Watch, so it's an easy decision for me to get either a gently used Series 2 or new Series 3 GPS.

11. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

HAHAHAHAHAHA.
    That's a good one. I'll just call up Verizon and say I'm going to boycott you until your prices come down.

12. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

If Tmobile charges $15 because my autopay discount is maxed out, then I am returning the watch.

13. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

If I'm correct, you don't have to pay for the service right? I can't imagine Apple thinking everyone has an extra $120 to spend every year on the Apple Watch

14. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

the do. i already confirmed. i might just stick with my Series 0 now. I'm not paying $15 a month for basically nothing.

15. lenard macrumors 6502

Yeah for $10/month, I am thinking about not spending $599 on the Serious 3 LTE, that $10/month just
    bugs the hell out of me.

16. pika2000 macrumors 601

Wait, I don't understand.
    You want to buy the LTE version but don't want the service? Can you just get the Wifi version? If there is not enough people buying the LTE version, then Apple will investigate why. If you bought the LTE version anyway, Apple thinks what they did is fine (they already got your money, the rest is between you and the carrier).

17. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

I don;t know if mine is maxed out or not.... i pay $360 for 8 lines.

18. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

The AutoPay discount is a max of $40. So basically 8 $5 discounts. You're probably maxed.

19. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Hold on. What is going on with T-Mobile ?

20. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

dang it!
    I will have to order a LTE and a Wifi watch and return one after trying them out.

21. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

T-Mobile has a maximum autopay discount of $40. If you're already receiving that, it will be $15 a month, not $10.

22. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

That sucks!
    So after the $40 are spent (8 months) the price goes up to $15/mo???

23. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

No, it’s a max of $40 per month autopay discount. So if you have 8 devices, each receiving a $5 autopay discount, any additional devices won’t actually get the misleading autopay price, they’ll be $5 more.

So say a family of 4 each has a tablet and a phone. They’re already getting $40 in autopay discount. Parents both want watches. They’re gonna be paying $15 a month.

24. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

It's only $10 a month to add the Apple Watch to your plan. That's with Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon. Other carriers may have different prices.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 14, 2017 ---
    I dunno, but if $10 a month is out of your price range then you certainly don't need an Apple Watch. But you also don't have to pay for the subscription for the Apple Watch to work. You can't expect cell carriers to give out a free data plan. These are the same companies that have convinced ISPs to create data plan tiers for broadband internet instead of offering unlimited data.

25. jschu22, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

jschu22 macrumors regular

--- Post Merged, Sep 14, 2017 ---
    Its associated with but not the SAME line though- It will have a unique number. Its how it has worked for Samsung Gear watches and will be the same here. Yes it can receive phone calls/texts sent to your phone but its doing so as a result of a forwarding process, not actually being the same number. Thats without even mentioning the data specific portion of the charge as well.