Let's clear something up, some basic maths for you

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by charliecc, Oct 13, 2011.

1. charliecc, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

charliecc macrumors regular

I have read on many threads talking about upgrading from the 4 to the 4S because it's basically free, i.e. the upgrade cost is covered by selling your iPhone 4. Here are a few examples:

The tariff you're paying is higher than standard and subsidizing your handset. Now, I'll have to add a disclaimer at this point as I don't know how SIM only works in the US, but I can't imagine it's not similar to the UK.

Let's assume I'm going to get the 32GB 4S on O2 (most networks are fairly similar), with a mid range tariff:

300 mins - Unlimited Texts - 500MB data - £249.99 for the phone - £31 a month tariff (18 months).

Let's say I sell my iPhone 4 to cover the cost of the upgrade, therefore cost of ownership over 18 months: £558

O2 have a SIM only deal:

300 mins - Unlimited Texts - 500MB data - £16.50

So if you keep your iPhone 4, cost of ownership is: £297

Therefore, to get your "free" upgrade to an iPhone has cost you: £261

Now, if we add £261 to the cost of the phone on that tariff, it's almost exactly the same as buying the phone off contract. The operators will always recoup the cost of the handset with an inflated tariff.

I know most people already know this, but just wanted to point it out to the people who constantly use this as a justification for upgrading when it's a completely flawed argument.

EDIT: Looks like the US does work in a completely different way and I was wrong. The lack of competition in the industry is a disgrace. You should all be complaining about this.

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

You have to pay a monthly tariff on the phone?

Not in the states.

3. charliecc, Oct 13, 2011

charliecc thread starter macrumors regular

Perhaps this has been lost in translation, it's not a tariff on the phone, it's the cost of the call plan.

4. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

That's what I was going to say. No monthly tax in the U.S. for solely owning a subsidized iPhone. Obviously, it's much different in the U.K.

5. charliecc thread starter macrumors regular

I think you are misunderstanding me, perhaps it's the use of the word tariff. I'll try and explain a little in American. Apologies if I'm wrong about the call plans over there.

If you walk into a US operator store and ask for a call plan without a phone, I'm assuming it'll cost you less than if you ask for a call plan with a phone. Is that correct?

6. christyn macrumors 6502a

it costs the same regardless of whether you get a subsidized phone or not.

7. jsh macrumors regular

Nope, same price.

8. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

We don't have "tariffs" on plans in the US as far as I'm aware. Everyone pays the same, doesn't matter if you've got an iPhone 4S bought subsidized under a 2 year contract, or a first gen iPhone that you bought off your friend and you're activating without a contract.

Seems we do things different here in the states. Thanks for trying to make your q more "american" for us.

9. ap3604 macrumors 68000

America really does suck when it comes to cell carriers :(

10. calb macrumors 6502

You're both missing the point. You are not getting the phone for $199... you're paying $199 and the remaining $400 (?) as a hidden cost in the tariff/call plan. That is what the OP is alluding to.

Psychologically you feel great, but when you look at the value of minutes/texts/data you quickly realise that you're overpaying to, in essence, subsidise the phone. You have ridiculously expensive contracts to cover the cost the carrier alleges it is paying on your behalf.

It's all a marketing illusion. The difference is that in many countries it is readily apparent, whereas in the US it seems that everyone foots the bill for each other's subsidy.

11. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Exactly, which is why this makes sense in the states.

Because I keep my iPhone, say, 3G in production for 4 years, I pay the same regardless.
    So if we plan on keeping service for an additional two years and are due for an upgrade, it's a no brainer to get the subsidized phone, especially if you can get it essentially "free" by resale.

12. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

We're going to pay the same whether our phone was subsidized or not. Only benefit is not being locked into a contract. And so to reaffirm, I got a 'free' upgrade to the 4S! :D

13. christyn macrumors 6502a

It's a good point in areas where that applies, but the States is not one of those places...

14. lilj4425 macrumors 6502a

America should have switched to the metric system when they had the chance.

15. ApplesAndOrangs macrumors regular

wut?

Stopped reading after I saw £.

In the states, they basically recoup the cost through the data and voice plan over the 2 year contract. I think everyone here is well aware it costs them more than $300 in the long run.

16. charliecc thread starter macrumors regular

Yep, it's looks like you guys are right if that's the case. Wow, you have some sucky laws over there, if that happened over here, offcom (the the UK telecoms regulators) would be all over it for anti-competitive behaviour.

17. wordoflife, Oct 13, 2011

wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

In the States, we pay the same rate plan ($ per month) whether we buy a subsidized phone from our carrier or we bring our own phone. We pay the same price whether we are in a contract or off contract too.

I don't think, what you posted, applies to people from the States. It hardly makes a difference if we are under contract or not, since we are paying the same price anyways.

18. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

You're actually missing the point here. There's no difference in who pays what. Everyone pays the same. So if, as you said, "everyone foots the bill for each other's subsidy," then yeah, you really are upgrading for "free" if you can sell your old phone for the same price as the subsized new one.

19. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

They are correct.

The United States is crazy that way.

Example A:
    You get a free iPhone 3GS from AT&T with a 2 year contract from AT&T. (AT&T subsidised ~US$500 to give you that phone for "Free")

Your monthly phone bill ends up being:
    US$125 / month (900 minutes, 4GB Data, 1000 SMS)

That's pretty high.

Example B:
    You decide you'll save money on your monthly bill, and you go and BUY a high end unlocked, unsubsidised smart phone for ~US$900.

Now you can make it up, by paying a cheaper monthly plan at AT&T right? So, you go there and AT&T's plan costs:
    US$125 / month (900 minutes, 4GB Data, 1000 SMS)

Yeah.

That's how we roll in the US of A.

The 99% get ripped off to stuff the pockets of the greedy corporate 1% LOL

20. charliecc thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, wasn't trying to be racist, I just thought my use of tariff my be confusing things if you use the term call plan.

Anyway, given what I've learnt here, if you're at the end of your contract and you can sell your 4 for the upgrade cost, you'd indeed be mad NOT to upgrade.

21. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Don't worry about it - it didn't even offend me. I was just saying wording it like that might be a bit strong.
    Yep, that's basically it. You don't even have to be at the end of your contract to upgrade either. AT&T, for example, gives upgrades every 12 months to some people (based on many factors), even though you might still have time remaining on your contract. They would rather lock you in another 2 year contract a little early.

22. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

That is correct for the United States. Obviously, other companies may very well differ.

23. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

OP, I think you should get your facts straight before going around calling people "halfwits"

Where I cone from, halfwits are people that make claims on message boards even though they are misinformed and have no relevant evidence to back up what they are saying.

24. charliecc thread starter macrumors regular

If that's the case, and you can't get cheap SIM only deals, why is the second-hand market for the iPhone so buoyant?

25. rosemary1 macrumors regular

My cell plan now is the same as it was before I got an iPhone. The only difference in price is that now I also pay for data. I would be paying this same monthly price whether or not I was using a subsidized or unsubsidized iPhone. Because my personal needs do not require an unlocked/unsubsidized phone, I buy the subsidized one. Because it's cheaper.