Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blipit

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013
A few are. A few aren't.

Depends on who you talk to, and how you approach the subject.
So I should give it a try? I am still under original 1 year warranty, don't have applecare+.

I actually have a small rattle from inside the phone, something is lose in there. Phone has never been dropped. Might have to ad on one other problem.;)

Tired of edge speeds on my tmobile sim.

ipaclansite

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2011
Definitely give it a try. My iPhone had no problems, but I still got them to replace it under warranty. I didn't have AppleCare+ either. I simply explained my reason, and showed them the support article on the Apple website. You will want to do it soon, too, before they stop swapping it out with refurbished models or worse just fix the rattling and return it to you :p.

Blipit

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013
Definitely give it a try. My iPhone had no problems, but I still got them to replace it under warranty. I didn't have AppleCare+ either. I simply explained my reason, and showed them the support article on the Apple website. You will want to do it soon, too, before they stop swapping it out with refurbished models or worse just fix the rattling and return it to you :p.
Well hopefully they do replace it instead of repair, fingers crossed. Might kinda be a dumb question but what do they do with the original if they do replace it. Do they restore and wipe everything on the old phone?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Well hopefully they do replace it instead of repair, fingers crossed. Might kinda be a dumb question but what do they do with the original if they do replace it. Do they restore and wipe everything on the old phone?
You might want to be upfront about wanting the AWS patched version per support article so that doesnt happen.

The Genius should instruct you to wile all data there before he takes it into the back.

They walk you through it

Blipit

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013
Went to today for appointment, they ended up replacing the phone. It was the new 16gb, serial # ending FH19.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
They just take your sim card from your old phone and put it in the new replacement phone. As long as your previous one was unlocked, the new one should be unlocked as well.

AFAIK, all their replacements are AWS so you shouldn't need to worry. If you ask, it might make them think you're making an excuse to try to get a replacement

Thanks again for your advice. It helped with confidently getting a replacement. I went in today with a legit camera issue, they immediately offered to replace it, and they moved my sim into the new phone. It is indeed the FH1D serial (32gb black), so I am happy.

----------

I think the issue here is that you have an AT&T iPhone that was unlocked via 3rd Party, having them replace it will get you another AT&T iPhone, and you will likely lose your unlock.

When they replaced mine, they took the sim card out of the old one and just put it in the new one. As far as registering the IMEI, I think you are talking about registering the SIM ID (I cant remember what its called) which is used if you are switching sim cards. I don't think anything will happen if you were to swap sim cards from phones, other than the fact that the replacement you are getting may very well still be locked, even though you maybe getting an AWS model. If anything, you may want to tell them that it was unlocked by AT&T :p

For anyone still on the fence or haven't done this yet, and still want the AWS model and still have a pristine non-AWS (unlocked) iPhone, but aren't sure what to say, show the genius the support article, http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5720. Let them know that you are experiencing poor data services in x location, and that the article explains why. You'll do a service by educating the geniuses since it seems none of them really know about it, and they cant really say its "fake" or anything like that since its on their official support manual.

Thanks again for your input. I posted just above of how it went, and your advice was very helpful in confidently getting an AWS.
You're right, I did mean the SIM ID, as the IMEI is something else. Regardless, I didn't have any issues. My phone is accepting AT&T and t-mobile sims just like before too.

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Went to today for appointment, they ended up replacing the phone. It was the new 16gb, serial # ending FH19.

That's great! Btw, did they replace your original phone with a brand new one?

----------

I'm gonna be getting my iPhone replaced hopefully tomorrow here in Chicago, IL did a fresh restore and gave up my jailbreak in hope for a AWS now...lol

Hi,

Did you replace your iPhone and if so, how do you like it so far?

gto1988

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2010
Lakewood, Ohio
Had 2 iPhones replaced, I can confirm they're both AWS compatible, also had a factory unlocked, and one i bought an ebay unlock for, they replaced them both with factory unlocked.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
That's great! Btw, did they replace your original phone with a brand new one?

----------

Hi,

Did you replace your iPhone and if so, how do you like it so far?

Hey haven't had time to go in yet, will do it sometime end of this week or weekend for sure

G37dude80

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2009
Coral Springs
Another success story. I bought an unlocked iPhone 5 back in November... Walked in to the apple store today. I told them I wanted to move to T-mobile but I was disappointed to find out my iPhone wouldn't enjoy super fast lte speeds on their network. Walkout with a brand new iPhone 5 unlocked ending FH1F!

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Another success story. I bought an unlocked iPhone 5 back in November... Walked in to the apple store today. I told them I wanted to move to T-mobile but I was disappointed to find out my iPhone wouldn't enjoy super fast lte speeds on their network. Walkout with a brand new iPhone 5 unlocked ending FH1F!

Honesty gets you a long ways! Did for me.

jdang905

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2013
I have a black iPhone 5 32GB locked to Fido got it a few days ago with serial containing FH1D if i unlock it would it work on aws/wind

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I have a black iPhone 5 32GB locked to Fido got it a few days ago with serial containing FH1D if i unlock it would it work on aws/wind

Yes! Hope Fido does unlock it for you if you are the original owner! - Being from Canada I know they are iffy (really its Rogers thats iffy) about unlocking phones

jdang905

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2013
Damn im not the original owner i got it sealed brand new in box on kijiji for $400 lol.

----------

U think if i walk into the applestore n ask for a swap it would work?

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Damn im not the original owner i got it sealed brand new in box on kijiji for $400 lol.

----------

U think if i walk into the applestore n ask for a swap it would work?

wont work...best thing will be to get it done from 3rd party but will cost $120 at least, PM me if you need help I have contacts to get it done and will be done by 2pm tomorrow.

Mishall000

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2013
Ottawa,Ontario
Hi all

I just got new factory unlocked iPhone 5 today from apple store in Ottawa.model A1428/FH19
16 G Black..paid $780
Then I went to wind mobile store and got nano sim for 10 bucks,wind' rep set my iphone5 up for me and he mentioned that wind mobile has to configure my iPhone 5 with APN or IPN I don't remember exact name..anyway it works beautifully couldn't be happier :)

Just wanted to pass on this info
Cheers

jdang905

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2013
wont work...best thing will be to get it done from 3rd party but will cost $120 at least, PM me if you need help I have contacts to get it done and will be done by 2pm tomorrow.

Thanks, I would need to get it unlocked third party. Any recommendations? I don't know how to PM I just made this account but I've been a lurker for a while lol.

iPhonesandMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
Take a look at your cameras, I have gotten my original non AWS replaced in december for another non-aws due to dust in the lense, and then in may I swapped my non aws for an AWS tmobile model, due to dust also.

ganja24

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009

I am also on aws iPhone 5 wind mobile, only thing i see is the imessage & facetime won't activate with phone number..

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Thanks, I would need to get it unlocked third party. Any recommendations? I don't know how to PM I just made this account but I've been a lurker for a while lol.

you can click on my name and it will give you option to DM i think you have to post at least 5 posts before you can do that.

----------

got my iPhone 5 replaced today! wth FH1F = 32GB White :D

Originally purchased from Fido Canada, Got it Unlocked, Now got it replaced with AWS Compatible model :D UNLOCKED as always that is for those of you that wonder :)

Sadly I ended up giving up two things:
1) Jailbreak
2) Gmail Push via Exchange...since this is a "new device" it will no longer work :(

Last edited:

jdang905

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2013
you can click on my name and it will give you option to DM i think you have to post at least 5 posts before you can do that.

----------

Originally purchased from Fido Canada, Got it Unlocked, Now got it replaced with AWS Compatible model :D UNLOCKED as always that is for those of you that wonder :)

1) Jailbreak
2) Gmail Push via Exchange...since this is a "new device" it will no longer work :(

Oh ok, well my fido iphone has 1700/2100 on the back of the box so im pretty sure if i unlock it it would work

----------

----------

1) Jailbreak

Anyways, I forgot to mention I bought the unlock from mobileincanada.com. Hope it works, if not I'll try your recommendations.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Oh ok, well my fido iphone has 1700/2100 on the back of the box so im pretty sure if i unlock it it would work

----------

Anyways, I forgot to mention I bought the unlock from mobileincanada.com. Hope it works, if not I'll try your recommendations.

Nice! goodluck :) and yes since you hav 1700/2100 on box it will work 100%

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Just got mine swapped at the Apple store at Partridge Creek, in Michigan. Went in and was 100% honest with them on why I was bringing it in.

Told them that now that I'm on tmobile, I'm not getting the same bands/speeds even though the phone has the hardware to do it, but its just not enabled, where as the new phones it is now. I showed them the Apple Support write up that was posted earlier in this thread, and they could tell I had done my homework. I told them I completely understand if they didn't want to swap it, as there wasn't really anything wrong with the one I have. I made sure not to act as if I was entitled or owed a swap, but that I was purely there to see if they could do anything.

The first genius I worked with wanted to do it, but didnt have authority, so she got two other reps involved, hoping one of them could give her the go ahead. They wanted to as well, cause I kept reiterating I was being up front and honest, and I understood it was completely at thier discretion. They told me that if something was actually wrong with it, it wouldn't even be a question. Still playing the honesty card, I mentioned that there wasn't anything really wrong with it, and I didn't "feel comfortable lying to them about a made up problem". Finally, they looked at each other, and one rep said the the other, "Gee, xxxx, take a look at this screen. Doesn't that look defective to you? I think I see burned out pixels and poor screen quality. Don't you?" The other replied, "Huh? Ooooohh! Yeah, I see that too! Yep, that definitely requires us to do a swap!" *WINK WINK*

10 minutes later, I checked the serial number of the new one, and walk out with an AWS enabled iP5. I guess honesty still has its benefits! Thanks Apple! That's why I'm still a repeat customer! And thanks to everyone on this thread, as I would have never thought of or known to consider swapping it, had it not been for this!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.