Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jts2

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
I thought I will try again today and took an appointment with the Genius. I explained my situation to the Apple store genius and the DC HSPA for the T-mo AWS band inclusion. He said he will go and do some research. He also mentioned that there is nothing in stock and has to order it for me.

When he came back, he said that when he orders a replacement, he has to use the part number of an AT&T iPhone (which is what I bought unlocked back in December and has been using on T-Mobile).

He says that if he places an order, the part number doesn't match with T-Mo part numbers and that I will be getting an "AT&T" phone as my replacement. I tried to explain that there is no T-mo version separately. All I wanted was a phone where AWS on DC HSPA is supported.

I don't think all the Geniuses out there are trained on this aspect.

My question is can I just bite the bullet and order the so called "AT&T" iPhone with a hope that it will have T-Mo AWS for DC-HSPA?

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I thought I will try again today and took an appointment with the Genius. I explained my situation to the Apple store genius and the DC HSPA for the T-mo AWS band inclusion. He said he will go and do some research. He also mentioned that there is nothing in stock and has to order it for me.

When he came back, he said that when he orders a replacement, he has to use the part number of an AT&T iPhone (which is what I bought unlocked back in December and has been using on T-Mobile).

He says that if he places an order, the part number doesn't match with T-Mo part numbers and that I will be getting an "AT&T" phone as my replacement. I tried to explain that there is no T-mo version separately. All I wanted was a phone where AWS on DC HSPA is supported.

My question is can I just bite the bullet and order the so called "AT&T" iPhone with a hope that it will have T-Mo AWS for DC-HSPA?

I would because essentially they ordered AT&T iPhones for me...despite mine being unlocked, however they were originally still AT&T.

If he's willing to swap it out for you, might as well! Also your right the genius don't know what that are talking half the time, they don't know the difference as all they know is just internal item numbers...I called apple care and was told that if I really want to get my iPhone 32Gb replaced I would have to find a defect in the phone in order to have it replaced....I haven't tried my luck at apple store with this one yet as I don't want to pay for parking downtown just to be told "No"

I will say safely that all replacements now onwards will be Tmobile AWS compatible within USA, can't speak for Canada.

jjx360

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2013

Apple geniuses(I wouldn't call them that) told me that the newer iphone 5 has different hardware than the original iphone 5. I guess they didn't see the memo Apple sent to the FCC stating there was no hardware changes in the newer iphone 5. lol.

Get the replacement but before they process it, ask them if you could see the last 4 of the serial number so you can verify that it supports tmobile bands. If not, come back in a month. I'm sure that the new revision of the GSM iphone 5 will be readily available as replacements.

basketlacey

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2013
I haven't seen 4G or AWS on my T-Mo iPhone 5 yet. I assume that is because I don't live in an active coverage area, is that right? My phone has been on 3G since I got it on 4/12. I am pleasantly surprised by its speed though. It is much faster than my daughter's unlocked ATT 4S that also shows 3G. Is this just my imagination?

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I haven't seen 4G or AWS on my T-Mo iPhone 5 yet. I assume that is because I don't live in an active coverage area, is that right? My phone has been on 3G since I got it on 4/12. I am pleasantly surprised by its speed though. It is much faster than my daughter's unlocked ATT 4S that also shows 3G. Is this just my imagination?

did you install the new carrier update? Settings - General - About (wait a few seconds to a minute or so and a pop up will come up) which will change your "3G" signal to "4G"

Also if you are using any T-Mobie MVNO (GoSmart, Simple Mobile etc) You may not see "4G" as its not available as a carrier update for them yet..

basketlacey

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2013
did you install the new carrier update? Settings - General - About (wait a few seconds to a minute or so and a pop up will come up) which will change your "3G" signal to "4G"

Also if you are using any T-Mobie MVNO (GoSmart, Simple Mobile etc) You may not see "4G" as its not available as a carrier update for them yet..

THANK YOU! Yep - 4G now!

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I would because essentially they ordered AT&T iPhones for me...despite mine being unlocked, however they were originally still AT&T.

If he's willing to swap it out for you, might as well! Also your right the genius don't know what that are talking half the time, they don't know the difference as all they know is just internal item numbers...I called apple care and was told that if I really want to get my iPhone 32Gb replaced I would have to find a defect in the phone in order to have it replaced....I haven't tried my luck at apple store with this one yet as I don't want to pay for parking downtown just to be told "No"

I will say safely that all replacements now onwards will be Tmobile AWS compatible within USA, can't speak for Canada.

I would tell them that not getting the aws band when the newer phone with the same exact hardware does get it, is a defect!

mattdo93

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2010
Hey guys,

I currently have an AT&T iPhone 5 that needs to be replaced. But my phone is locked. Will I still be able to get the new version that works on T-Mobile's bands? Or do I have to go get this unlocked and then go?

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Hey guys,

I currently have an AT&T iPhone 5 that needs to be replaced. But my phone is locked. Will I still be able to get the new version that works on T-Mobile's bands? Or do I have to go get this unlocked and then go?

Go As IS get it replaced and then get it unlocked from 3rd party...you will get T-Mo compatible AWS version 100%

----------

I would tell them that not getting the aws band when the newer phone with the same exact hardware does get it, is a defect!

I would but from calling apple store and discussing so far they said will depending on the associate that happens to handle you when you go in...they said because there is no defect with the iPhone the odds are low....

jts2

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
Go As IS get it replaced and then get it unlocked from 3rd party...you will get T-Mo compatible AWS version 100%

----------

I am not sure if you can say 100%.

The geniuses are not educated of this intrinsity. The genius may still have an old stock of ATT phones that he may give you. May be after a while but I would say not yet.

jjx360

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2013
That is great news !!! I really want one so bad. For me, I got mine replaced 2 weeks ago due to the power/sleep button jamming up. I may come up with some BS excuse to get it replaced. It may be unethical, but they screwed me by not offering the software to take advantage of the hardware I already have. lol.

I want to update my situation. I did the unethical route and got a new replacement for my replacement by saying I have power/sleep button issues even though it has no problems. The apple employee barely checked the issue and just processed a new replacement. The new replacement is the one that supports all the tmobile bands !!! The model # is NE486LL/A and the last 4 digits of the serial number is FH19. It is also unlocked to my surprise.

So if you are getting a replacement for a newer iphone 5, insert a tmobile sim before you unlock it by a third party. I am in shock that it is unlocked, since I originally paid $200 for a locked AT&T iphone 5 in September.

I like to thank Satnum for starting this thread and Prime for confirming that the all the replacements now support all the tmobile bands. I can finally break free from AT&T and permanently stick with the tmobile $30 unlimited data/txt plan. I gotta pay the hefty ETF, but I'll break even soon by saving $40 a month.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I want to update my situation. I did the unethical route and got a new replacement for my replacement by saying I have power/sleep button issues even though it has no problems. The apple employee barely checked the issue and just processed a new replacement. The new replacement is the one that supports all the tmobile bands !!! The model # is NE486LL/A and the last 4 digits of the serial number is FH19. It is also unlocked to my surprise.

So if you are getting a replacement for a newer iphone 5, insert a tmobile sim before you unlock it by a third party. I am in shock that it is unlocked, since I originally paid $200 for a locked AT&T iphone 5 in September.

I like to thank Satnum for starting this thread and Prime for confirming that the all the replacements now support all the tmobile bands. I can finally break free from AT&T and permanently stick with the tmobile $30 unlimited data/txt plan. I gotta pay the hefty ETF, but I'll break even soon by saving $40 a month.

congrats! I am going to get mine replaced soon as well gonna try your way...I mean we deserve a phone that works on all...it is unfair being left out in the cold less than a year in with one less band...ill be hopping on $45 GoSmart plan with 5GB 4G data...because Straight Talk (AT&T SIM) has been brutal lately...half my calls go to a busy ring tone for many of my callers...

jjx360

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2013
congrats! I am going to get mine replaced soon as well gonna try your way...I mean we deserve a phone that works on all...it is unfair being left out in the cold less than a year in with one less band...ill be hopping on $45 GoSmart plan with 5GB 4G data...because Straight Talk (AT&T SIM) has been brutal lately...half my calls go to a busy ring tone for many of my callers...

Yea I didn't like giving a lie either, but I drove 30 minutes to the apple store and didn't want to take a chance by getting denied a replacement by telling the truth that my Iphone 5 doesn't support the aws bands. If it is an unlocked phone, they should offer a replacement without any hassle because its a software issue for the older iphone 5. I think they should at least offer to reflash the older iphone 5 so it works with all the bands. If they charge a small fee (less than $50?) to reflash it, I would of easily done that instead of doing it the shady way.

jts2

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
Update on my case.

Finally, I have my iPhone 5 with sleep/wake button issue replaced with a new iPhone model that ends with FH19. Today I went during evening time when they typically have the stock. Before the Genius was replacing my iPhone, I asked him the last 4 digits of the serial number and guess what, it ended up with one of the serial#'s below:
FH19
FH1C
FH1D
FH1F
FH1G
FH1H

Again, looks like all the old iPhone stock is gone. The new iPhone being replaced works for T-Mo and AT&T for LTE and HSPA.

Also, another point to be noted, when I received the iPhone, it already has the carrier update that was sent by T-mo few weeks back. I didn't like the carrier update because it removed the tethering feature and it might take a while to get LTE in my area, so there is no point in updating it.

After coming home, when I reset the iPhone and I found that I was getting 3G instead of 4G and no Enable LTE option and my tethering is back! Basically, if you reset, the carrier update will be gone.

Now I have an iPhone that runs on Tmobile's proven AWS 3G band with tethering enabled.

Bottom line is all the new iPhones be it replacement or brand new, work on Tmo and ATT 3G and 4G LTE.

Thanks all for the feedback.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Update on my case.

Finally, I have my iPhone 5 with sleep/wake button issue replaced with a new iPhone model that ends with FH19. Today I went during evening time when they typically have the stock. Before the Genius was replacing my iPhone, I asked him the last 4 digits of the serial number and guess what, it ended up with one of the serial#'s below:
FH19
FH1C
FH1D
FH1F
FH1G
FH1H

Again, looks like all the old iPhone stock is gone. The new iPhone being replaced works for T-Mo and AT&T for LTE and HSPA.

Also, another point to be noted, when I received the iPhone, it already has the carrier update that was sent by T-mo few weeks back. I didn't like the carrier update because it removed the tethering feature and it might take a while to get LTE in my area, so there is no point in updating it.

After coming home, when I reset the iPhone and I found that I was getting 3G instead of 4G and no Enable LTE option and my tethering is back! Basically, if you reset, the carrier update will be gone.

Now I have an iPhone that runs on Tmobile's proven AWS 3G band with tethering enabled.

Bottom line is all the new iPhones be it replacement or brand new, work on Tmo and ATT 3G and 4G LTE.

happy for you!

Eternal 28

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Update on my case.

FH19
FH1C
FH1D
FH1F
FH1G
FH1H

What version of ios did you get ?

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012

I am glad it worked out for you.

I will be going to the apple store to replace my wife's phone later today. So i will let everyone know how it goes, if it is anything like when i exchanged my phone or my brothers it shouldn't be a problem.

ScottLive5

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2013
I am glad it worked out for you.

I will be going to the apple store to replace my wife's phone later today. So i will let everyone know how it goes, if it is anything like when i exchanged my phone or my brothers it shouldn't be a problem.

Let me know. I'm going to that same store this weekend with my daughter's phone, Thanks.

Boogsephine

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011

When you were at the T-Mobile store, did they do the software update via iTunes? In our stores we have iTunes installed with very limited operations. The only thing it does is the software update which enables LTE and puts in the correct carrier settings.

The only downfall to this is the upgrade to 6.1.3. I wanted to jailbreak mine so I didn't do the option and my phone never said 4G even though I was getting 20+mbps on the speed test application. I downloaded the Spring Winterboard theme that says 4G up there so it displays 4G and I can keep my jailbreak.

It does get annoying every time I restart the phone and go into settings asking me if I want to do the update. :mad:

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
I got it in the mail from Apple.com. Ordered the replacement last Thuraday. Phone seems fine. Power button works ha. Just wish it had 6.1.2.

When you returned your phone to Apple.Com for the replacement phone, did you have to include all the accessories (i.e., usb power adapter, lightening to usb cable, Apple earpods, etc) that originally came with the phone? Thanks!

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
The only disadvantage with the carrier update is I lost my tethering capability that I used to have (on the spotty PCS coverage) before the update. Mine is an unlocked iPhone 5.
I didn't lose tethering with the 14.1 update. But then I have Tetherme installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.