Lets Get These Tariffs Changed!!!! Sign Up Now :)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by npdale, Sep 20, 2007.

1. npdale macrumors member

OK, so I have set up a petition to get O2 to sort out these terrible tariffs... Do*not underestimate the power of people petitions, as companys like cadburys have taken notice of groups like this already and if enough of us sign up to this then we may be able to make a change...

Let's get this changed... the tariffs are a joke and O2 know it, they are just hoping no one will kick up a fuss about it...

So lets start kicking.. I don't mind moving to the "official" network but I only want to be treated fairly and get value for money, which O2 are not giving.

We have demanded good service and tariffs from our networks and they have largely delivered but the deals O2 propose are stone age in comparison to even their own regular tariffs!!! Ok so they claim you get "unlimited" data, but this is limited to 1400 pages (no definition of "a page" i notice) and also their coverage is only 30% (at launch!) so most of us will be paying for nothing. Not to mention that the cloud wifi network is woeful next to its competitors like T-Mobile!

So come on lets get on this and make them either reduce the price, offer some more minutes and texts or allow us to use their regular tariffs, because lets be honest we are paying FULL WHACK for the phone, they aren't subsidising or anything so let's get some good consumer deals here, just because they are the only carrier NOW doesn't mean a thing... they should still be begging us to come to them as HAPPY customers and I don't think there are many of them out there right now.*

Oh and all you US guys sign up too cause if we can effect change here AT&T will have to listen.

You may think it's pointless and a pipedream but you don't get nothin' if you don't try!

So come on sign up... what have you got to lose?

Here is the link... and hey lets discuss!...

If I get enough signatures then I'm going to the press too... they seem to enjoy slamming the price of the iPhone so lets give them some REAL ammo!!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/saynotoO2/

and here is the related facebook group

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5428471187

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Although I'm not interested in getting one now, I certainly will be in future and I'd want the tariffs to have improved.

Signed.

4. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

From what I gathered, your incoming calls are free? Is that correct? Just wondering, want to get an idea of your tariffs compared to what we have in the colonies...I mean states.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Correct. Incoming calls and texts are free.

6. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Yeah, incoming calls aren't charged.

Unless you're abroad in which case you pick up the international part of the call whilst roaming.

7. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

Thanks, I appreciate it. That being said, I think its just a matter of what you guys are used to comparative to what we are used to here in the states. I'm not blaming you guys for being mad, and I'm not saying you're wrong, but our plans seem to be roughly the same, actually, in my opinion, your plans seem better (given the conversion of currency).
    Just my opinion, but hey, if you guys can get it changed, best of luck. Maybe they'll change it for us yanks too. :D

8. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

The rates in the US are incredibly fair... and they're basically the same in the UK (accounting for conversions and free incoming crap). Why all the whining?

9. Project macrumors 68020

This is England you are talking about. It comes with the territory.

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Because no one pays full price up front for a locked handset only to still be tied to a long contract. There are much, much better value voice plans for much less than the cheapest iPhone plan, and T-Mobiles web n' walk only costs £7.50 per month for data. Fair enough there's no free WiFi with any of this, but I bet you most people who buy an iPhone will rarely be around a decent Cloud WiFi area anyway.

11. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

One thing you also want to remember is the 8gb iPod touch is 199 pounds in England.

But EVERYONE (including me) seems to focus more on what we don't have, rather than what we have.

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

What's that got to do with anything?

You pay $399 for a 16GB Touch or $399 for an 8GB iPhone.
    We pay £269 for a 16GB Touch or £269 for an 8GB iPhone.

:confused:

13. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

I'm just pointing out the fact that your not just paying for a phone, that's all.

14. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

No mobile is just a phone these days. For example - I JUST got a Sony Ericsson w880i. It is tiny, 3g (with a good battery life, mind you) holds a gig of memory for music and you can add more memory to it if you like. It's got a nice interface and it takes decent pictures and video. even though it's not super-sexy touch screen, it's got nearly everything else and more, in some areas.
    I got it for free from Vodafone for £22 per month (actually £15 something with a rebate thingy and 6 months half off) It gives me 200 minutes and 500 texts. More than what O2 is panning off on people for a ridiculous price.

I just think it's a really bunk deal with O2 + Apple. They can and should do better.

15. npdale thread starter macrumors member

This is very true... we dont yet pay to recieve calls.... do you ??? !!!

16. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

That's nice and all, but you're comparing sony to Apple. If you want to buy a sony music player or phone then that's cool, sony makes a great phones and some great music players.
    However, we're talking I'm talking about Apple products. I'm comparing getting a phone for free and buying an iPhone which has similar capabilities of the iPod touch. Unless you'd rather a Zune than an iPod touch given it has more features and cost less.

I understand why everyone is upset about the price of the plans you guys have. It sucks, the American ones suck too. But why are they more expensive. PROBABLY, because they ATT and O2 are taking a big hit on selling the iPhone compared to other phones and they all know they can make more money because its an iPhone. But comparatively to the US plans, the UK tariffs are practically the same.

p.s. you should see the phones we get for free, you would probably laugh at us.

we pay to receive calls, so for 79.99 USD, I get 900 minutes, unlimited data and 200 text messages. However, we get rollover minutes (I think you get them as well), and free nights and weekends (calls bettween 9pm-6am, saturday and sunday).

I like the incoming calls for free thing cause, by just looking at my bill online, I receive way more calls than I do make them.

17. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

that's nice and all but you said "your not just paying for a phone" I said no mobile is just a phone these days.
    Apple-schmapple. They're a rip-off for what you're getting. period.
    Bend over and take it all you like but not everyone is keen to do that.

18. aristobrat macrumors G4

Almost the same situation in the US...

It was very unusual for anyone (other than hardcore geeks) to be interested in a phone priced at US$599 (when other capable phones were priced in the US$200-US$300 range, sometimes for free if you signed up as a new customer), and AT&Ts voice plans offer less minutes than what you can get on two of the other major US carriers for the same price.

Maybe you guys really do know the UK market, but the same comments you guys are making now are almost identical to the comments made about the iPhones launch in the US (well, maybe not the "bend over and take it", but definitely a lot of "Apple's stuff is overpriced" remarks), and yet the iPhone sold very well.

I'm very curious to see how it does in the UK. Perhaps Apple is off its game and it'll tank. Wouldn't be the first time, right?

19. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

I disagree, but probably that's because I come from a different culture than you, and I understand that.

But I guess I could see what you're saying when you compare Apples to oranges and not apples to apple.

Guess I'm off to Best Buy to get a Zune. Back in a few.

20. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Petitions are all very well, and I sincerely wish you good luck with it, but do you know the most effective way of changing a major company's pricing policy?... don't buy their product! That's my plan of inaction ;)

21. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

dont' forget to add the 15-25% VAT tax or whatever it is that you have...it's not that much different from the states

22. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Something needs to be done to try to make O2 realise the iPhone tariffs are awful.

I called Orange yesterday and enquired that I was thinking of switching to O2 in order to get an iPhone (utter lie, but enough to make the operator think I was serious about leaving them)

I was offered a Nokia N95 for free with a 18 month contract with 200 minutes and unlimited text messages for £15 per month.

With deals like that, how could you ever want to stump up £270 + £35 per month for a lesser tariff? You'd have to really, really want an iPhone

23. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

How much more for the unlimited data and unlimited cloud service?

24. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Hasn't anyone ever heard of voting with your wallet?

What will they listen to?

Horrible sales numbers.

Nothing else.

25. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Didn't ask, but you can be sure it's less than the £20/mth saving plus the £389 (Sim-free price) of the free N95.