Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Impressive and shows some more possibilities.

I agree. I just got it and I'm hooked. It's beautifully implemented. I also got the free uFlute, and there's no comparison. Ocarina is a lot more fun and a lot more enjoyable. There are lots of simple ways that the interface could be changed to accommodate the playing of all sorts of wind instruments. Kudos to Smule!

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
It does tremolo and responds to double-tongue-- even responds to lip farts!

It will respond to any sound loud enough. You blowing across the membrane from point blank is akin to a louder noise from farther away. It's a microphone, for crying out loud. It is NOT a wind instrument.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I bought it, then found out it's iPhone only. Is there any legit reason for this? I'm only out 99¢, but it's still annoying.

askywalker

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2007
audio output

very cool app...

any way to get the audio output through my stereo? would love to kick up the speaker quality notch... I suppose previous peoples request for saving would kinda solve it, but i thought there might be some ways to get the iphone audio through speakers - like bluetooth or something

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
very cool app...

any way to get the audio output through my stereo? would love to kick up the speaker quality notch... I suppose previous peoples request for saving would kinda solve it, but i thought there might be some ways to get the iphone audio through speakers - like bluetooth or something

The headphone plug?

fasequeira

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008
What's funny?

Haha that is kinda funny actually. How did you think it would work with the iPod touch?

What's funny? The ipod Touch 2G supports an external microphone. The guy in the demo video is using one. No reason it shouldn't work.:rolleyes:

Clipse79

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
Super cool! Its beyond cool going over to Japan or Europe and knowing people are doing the exact same thing with this app at this time and you can listen to them. I pitty anyone listening to me learn this thing....My wife is way more musical and I can tell i`ll be without a phone for hours tonight as she plays with it

bilboa

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Hmm I bought it but I'm unconvinced. I have to blow pretty hard to get it to register... WAY harder than on the videos.

You have to make sure you blow into the right place. At first I was having to blow hard because I was blowing into the middle, like into the power plug. when I realized the mic is off to the right and started blowing into that, I found I didn't need to blow hard at all. Also you need to purse your lips in the right way to direct the airstream at the mic. I play saxophone, recorders and penny whistles though, so maybe that's why I found it easy.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
You have to make sure you blow into the right place. At first I was having to blow hard because I was blowing into the middle, like into the power plug. when I realized the mic is off to the right and started blowing into that, I found I didn't need to blow hard at all.

Yeah, you have to pay attention to the little yellow arrow pointing to where the mic is! Once you do, it's pretty darn easy. :D

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
I downloaded it last night and started playing the sheet music on smule's website and I felt like I was a kid again in band. I played the Clarinet and Sax families from 4th through 12th grades and picked it up very quickly.... however only with using the sheet music. Trying to figure out a song using their finger hole layout is almost impossible using conventional fingering as a basis.

I have to say that Ocarina has to go down as 2008's iPhone App of the Year. The price point makes it an easy snatch for everyone but isn't cheapened by the "FREE" moniker that gets attached to certain no-cost apps.

I would love to see Smule create a woodwind app based off of this with fingerings similar to Clarinets, Saxophones and Flutes accompanied by their respected sounds.

An Octave enabler would be nice to to broaden the tonal range.

jmann

macrumors 604
I downloaded it last night and started playing the sheet music on smule's website and I felt like I was a kid again in band. I played the Clarinet and Sax families from 4th through 12th grades and picked it up very quickly.... however only with using the sheet music. Trying to figure out a song using their finger hole layout is almost impossible using conventional fingering as a basis.

I have to say that Ocarina has to go down as 2008's iPhone App of the Year. The price point makes it an easy snatch for everyone but isn't cheapened by the "FREE" moniker that gets attached to certain no-cost apps.

I would love to see Smule create a woodwind app based off of this with fingerings similar to Clarinets, Saxophones and Flutes accompanied by their respected sounds.

An Octave enabler would be nice to to broaden the tonal range.

I'm not sure how the iPhone would handle anymore than 4 finger touches at the same time. I think it would lag too much. Does anyone know how many points of touch the iPhone can recognize?

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
This is just plain awesome. I'd love to see a little group of people playing a song only on iPhones - with Guitar, Piano, and this little beauty.

Coolio..

fasequeira

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008
You're not the only one...

:eek: I guess I didn't read the description.

Don't worry, you're not the only one.

In the Stairway to Heaven video, the guy on the left is using an ipod Touch 2G with a mic plugged in. In fact, a lot of the online reviews mentioned the ipod Touch as well when talking about the app.

According to tech support, it should work. They will be releasing an update soon that removes the iPhone only restriction in the iTunes store.:)

Yuniverse

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2003
are you kidding me?

your friend is bull**itting about the Dare.

my friend has a Dare and it sucks ass so much. i HATE it. he states that out of my iPhone, his Dare and our other friend's Diamond, mine is the best.

The Dare is so limited in... everything. I Dare you friend to shove it up his ass.

lol i wouldn't go that far... in shoving things around...

But, i couldn't agree with you more with how Dare is not even comparable to the iPhone.
iPhone is joy to use while Dare is a challenge. Not that the learning curve is high, but it's UI is not as elegant and intuitive as iPhone.

NO COMPARISON! :apple:

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
This app is incredible! Just...wow!

There are a handful of apps I use to really blow away people who don't know a lot about the iPhone. Labrynth, PocketGuitar, Google Earth, Bloom, and VirtualPool. Now I've got one more.

My wife has had an iPhone as long as I have, and when I loaded Ocarina last night and walked into the room playing it, she was really amazed.

Blowing into the microphone just right is tricky. My method is to start off by "zeroing in" on the sweet spot. I purse my lips and blow softly and continuously towards the arrow while I move around slightly until the sound is steady and loud. Then I try to hold that position to play it. I usually balance the phone level with the ground on my thumbs and pinkies.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I'm not musical, but this is great fun! I am surprised.

Check out the scores other people have posted, which you can see and play:
http://ocarina.smule.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5

They're easy to follow on sight with just one or two run-throughs. (But you have to know the melody already or you may screw up the timing: the user-posted scores tend to not address timing consistently.)

Don't forget to check the mode at the top of each score. It matters! Most are Ionian G, but not all.

And if you're feeling extra adventurous, tip the iPhone downward on the long notes for some nice vibrato.

(Only downside: sometimes I accidentally put my mouth on the phone--and that is NOT sanitary :p )

GNice

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
The "Stairway to Heaven" video is impressive. I don't have a musical bone in my body so it's no good for me, but still very, very cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.