Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
So the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus have been out for a while now. We have begged and ogled cases for the last two months. What are you guys doing for mounting solutions in your car? In my last car I had a Pro Clip bracket and an adjustable holder. I'm leaning that way again and tomorrow they will announce their Black Friday deal(s).

In the mean time lets see what solutions you have made for your iPhone 6 & 6 Plus.

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
I did have a Kenu Airframe, but it was just a tiny bit too small to use properly with my 6, so i got this. It's not the prettiest solution, but it works perfectly for me. Keeps my iphone at the perfect level

61SvMXG1QCL._SX425_.jpg

http://www.amazon.ca/GreatShield®-D...16760239&sr=1-1&keywords=greatshield+cd+mount

EDiTOR9

macrumors regular
May 27, 2012
South Bay, CA
I have the iOttie easy mount for my iPod/iPhone 5 at the moment but I'm going to order the iOttie easy mount 2 for my 6 plus.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Those look like great solutions. But the CD mount won't work in my car. The CD slot is located near the gearshift and wouldn't be ideal for use while driving.

2014-mazda-3-sedan-leaked_100432356_l.jpg

jsalicru

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2004
Austin, TX
I use the Scosche Magic Mount with my 6+ And my wife's 5 I have a thin case, she has a lifeproof. Has worked very well for me. Looks like an interesting option for your car too.

bhags8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Bought the Rokform aluminum case which comes with mounts that you can stick in different places.

v3-rms-dash-800_1.jpg

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Pro Clips rules. I have 2 of them in my cars. Custom made for your particular car. They are very well made.

ekoulak

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2014
8f78a54a43b2291cb4c0b19f54f153b8.jpg
5cc29c068dff97ebac28141f4b67657d.jpg

Here is mine

Got it at best buy for 21 dollars on clearance from original 49.99

It fits anything from a 4S to an iPhone 6+

The suction cup is mounted to a pad I built my self that mounts to under dash frame.

applef

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2014
NY
I used iMagBond CD-Slot mount to hold my iPhone 6, it is made of cnc aluminum, magnetic, iphone 6 back or case back attached a steel plate, very simple and good looking.

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
I've been using the Kenu Airframe+ and have been happy with it. It's an easy solution for a car mount though I realize it's not for everyone.

airframe-plus-safely-in-view-r1a.jpg

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
I loved my airframe, but the only area it would fit was tight enough without the added size of the 6/6+

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
I've been using the Kenu Airframe+ and have been happy with it. It's an easy solution for a car mount though I realize it's not for everyone.

I loved my airframe, but the only area it would fit was tight enough without the added size of the 6/6+

I have heard good things about the Kenu Airframe. How long have you had it and does it stay secure over months of use or do the grips get loose?

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
I have heard good things about the Kenu Airframe. How long have you had it and does it stay secure over months of use or do the grips get loose?

I've only had the Airframe for about 1.5 months so it's still early to say how the grips will hold up in the long run. If you live in an area where you need to be blasting heat through the vents it I certainly think that may affect the grip eventually. IIRC there was something in the instructions about not using heat thru the vent the AirFrame is attached to.

Another factor is road conditions and if one drives on unpaved roads or one with many potholes there may be some slipage. I driven over some rough roads and haven't had any issues but I still keep my eye on it.

Other reasons I liked the AirFrame is its portability; I can easily remove it put it in a jacket and use it as a stand while I browse my phone at lunch or whenever. It also is fairly inconspicuous if left on an air vent and won't draw unwanted attention. The rotating feature is nice and that doesn't feel to me like that would wear out anytime soon. Sometimes I like to view maps in landscape mode.

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010

I had mine for about a year. It held the phone nice and solid, and was out of the way and barely noticeable. My only really issue with it is that the grips holding it to the vent were a tiny bit too wide for my vents, and it had a tendancy to come off the vent when i took the phone out.

The only reason i stopped using it, like i said, was because the normal version just barely fits the 6 with a case. It fits, but i have to mount and remove it with 2 hands, and sometimes then it's still a task.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool

I've had my Airframe for about a year and a half. It never loosened up, my 6+ doesn't fit in it so I've gifted it to a family member with a 5.

I had mine for about a year. It held the phone nice and solid, and was out of the way and barely noticeable. My only really issue with it is that the grips holding it to the vent were a tiny bit too wide for my vents, and it had a tendancy to come off the vent when i took the phone out.

The only reason i stopped using it, like i said, was because the normal version just barely fits the 6 with a case. It fits, but i have to mount and remove it with 2 hands, and sometimes then it's still a task.

Did you try spinning it 90 degrees? one direction is narrower than the other.

jev425

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Seattle, WA
I have the airframe and with the apple silicone case on my 6 it fits no problem. One side is spring loaded but haven't had issues with it losing its grip. I can get my phone in and out with one hand as well, there's a small trick to it to be able to do that. The mount does seem to work better in some cars than others. In my car it holds perfectly but in my truck it doesn't fit in the vent as tight, I have tried using the narrower and thicker sides. I think the truck vents are just wide enough that it allows the airframe to move around. I am picking a the belkin mount that is very similar to the airframe so will have to get back on that. One thing I'm excited about is that the belkin has a wire holder along the back so when you unplug your wire it doesn't just fall to the floor

fultonjt

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2011
Denver, CO
2014 Jeep Wrangler. Same set up now with my iPhone 6. ProClip mount, UK version (the US version mounts to driver's side. I prefer it on the other side).

Attachments

• IMG_0552.jpg
    IMG_0552.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 335
  • UK ProClip.jpg
    UK ProClip.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 320
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.