Let's Talk About Reading Books.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by HappyDude20, Dec 26, 2014.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Just wondering how frequently others read. At what pace and how often? Do you practice speed reading or go at a chapter a day pace, or more so?

I'm noticing many great historical reads come from the old world and Europe, which slows me down only in my attempt of better understanding and am admittedly to some degree in awe of how English and British authors write (and speak).

Are there specific mantras that go through your mind in between different books, or do you simply pick up next whatever is closest?

I knew of many people that once they start a book they commit to it, even if it takes them a year to read. Other people I've come across will make it a rule to finish said book within one sitting and have seen my friends dad in his arm chair for 14 hours until he is done.

Anything regarding reading and books is welcome.

I currently just finished reading The Adventure of Philosophy by Luis Navia which was a pleasure, and read his book called Socrates beforehand. I'm currently reading Richard Dawkins' An Appetite for Wonder and just the Forebears section in the beginning of the book is somewhat complex for me; but then again that's always been Dawkins.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not sure what you mean by going through mantras to read a book :confused:

I pick a book that interests me and read it. Kind of simple, or am I missing something?

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, there is another thread where MR members post what they are reading, and often discuss it (or review it) or offer opinions on it as well.

For myself, I love reading and would describe myself as an avid reader. While I read mainly history, politics, current affairs (which include biographies, collected essays on a theme and so on), I will also read on other topics that interest me.

For relaxation, as I rarely - as in hardly ever - watch TV, (except for the news, current affairs and documentaries, and even those fairly infrequently), I tend to read fantasy books as I enjoy them.

I will also read fiction. However, when reading fiction, my interest will have been sparked possibly because I know I already rather like the other, or earlier, works of the author in question, or because I am interested in - or have developed an interest in - or am curious about - the subject matter, or, someone whose judgement I respect (who could be a reviewer or a friend or a colleague) will strongly recommend a book.

If I develop an interest in a particular topic, I will read very extensively on the subject.

4. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I just read when I feel like it. Sometimes I'll finish a novel in a day or two, others will be read over a few months.

Just depends how much time I have, whether the book's actually any good, etc...

I like reading non-fiction (especially biographies) and fiction, so I'll usually have one of each on the go. At the moment, I'm reading The Go-Between and a biography of Alan Bennett, although that's more for school work than pleasure.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

How long it takes me to finish a book depends on the book. Some I can fly through, others I take awhile to read. I love reading on my Kindle Paperwhite.

6. Jws macrumors regular

I always want to read more than I do. It probably doesn't help that I'm a slow reader, no matter the subject matter. I have a Kindle Touch that I read on when I do.

Maybe I've read two books this year, but I've been busy studying and taking exams all year, so that has really put a damper in my motivation to read more often.

7. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

Right now, I'm the slowest reader in MR, I tend to allow myself to be distracted by video games, where The time I used to devote to reading is now playing games. I'm working on setting aside more time for this endeavor and am reading but slowly, a couple of chapters a day. If there is a positive point to the gaming it's the chance to socialize with both my Son and Grandson who are not local. We talk on phone or Teamspeak to coordinate our actions during the game. :)

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Normally when I start a book, I make sure that I finish it within a day regardless of its length.

And I always read books over and over again.

Right now I'm reading through the entire Jack Ryan series by Tom Clancy (Sr and Jr).

9. vulcanvillalta macrumors 6502

I usually read a novel a week, depending on length. Books longer than 500 pages usually take a week and a half to two weeks. But in december, I've only read one book because of all the Christmas stuff that's been going on.

But hey, I would rather spend time with my family than with a book any day of the week.

10. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

A book. That's like a big blog made out of a tree, right?

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

No, not really.

There is usually far more thought (and work, and research and revision) put into writing a book than penning a blog.

12. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Lol. I know. I'm just joking.

I love non-fiction, personally, but I have a hard time finishing them sometimes. Every once in a while, I'll read a fiction novel just to catalyze my reading, but I still struggle.

13. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

I read a lot.

Typically, 5 - 10 books at a time, which is not very good.
    I start way too many.

Reading speed and time to finish depends on the books.

I read a lot of Science Fiction (Perry Rhodan, German SciFi continuous story running since the 1960s)
    In the last 4 years, I read books 1-56, each 400 pages. So, 15 pages a day just for SciFi.

LOL

-t

14. BlueSpruce macrumors member

BlueSpruce

I usually read one book at a time, but I don't put time limits on myself. I read for myself when I have time.

We also follow a literature based homeschool curriculum and read several books at once, but only do about a chapter a week for each.

15. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I started Stephen King's new book last night and didn't put it down until I was at the half-way point.