Let's talk trucks

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by LumbermanSVO, Nov 29, 2007.

1. LumbermanSVO thread starter macrumors 65816

Mine is the tractor. It is now waiting to go in the shop and I've setup camp at a Holiday Inn.

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

wow, sorry to hear that. at least it wasn't your fault or anything. hope it gets out of the shop soon.

quick question, what kind of battery is in big trucks? or how many batteries? (sorry, kinda random)

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

"Well, officer, I couldn't get out of his way, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn!" :p

4. LumbermanSVO thread starter macrumors 65816

4 regular, but large, 12v car batteries in parallel.

5. LumbermanSVO thread starter macrumors 65816

6. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

I thought I'd chip in to tell you what an interesting blog you have there. Added to my RSS feed. ;)

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

dang, 4 batteries?

cool site ya got there

8. LumbermanSVO thread starter macrumors 65816

Think about it, the starter has to crank over a 12L 18:1+ compression engine. That takes a LOT of current at 12 volts.

My personal pickup is a 6.9L diesel with a 22:1 compression ratio. It requires a minimum of 2 850 CCA batteries.

Good news, my truck is fixed! I'm just waiting on my ride from the hotel back to the terminal.

9. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i don't doubt it needs that many batteries, that's why i asked. i knew it would be a lot.

what kind of pickup? if you don't mind me asking.

good news! glad you'll be "on the road again" ;)

10. LumbermanSVO thread starter macrumors 65816

It is a 1986 F250 SuperCab 4x4. I bought it for $50 and drove it home, it has been my main car since.

My other car is a 1985 Mustang SVO 4 cylinder turbo. It has an open exhaust, some intake mods, computer swap, port work and a homebuilt hybrid turbo, the boost has been turned up to 22psi. The interior consists of carpet, seats a shifter and some guages. Everything else has been removed, even the HVAC system. It now weighs 2600lbs with me in it. It is a "touch" faster than stock :)

11. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Are you sure you don't mean $500?:eek:

12. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

whoa, $50!? now that's crazy.

that mustang seems nice also. ever take it to the track?

13. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

If you don't mind me asking, how much money do you/average trucker make a year?

And $50 for a truck...DANG!!!:eek:

BTW: That CNN video is pretty scary! is this going to affect you?

14. LumbermanSVO thread starter macrumors 65816

The duel prices are already affecting me, just last week the company announced that they are cutting our speeds back by 2 MPH. This wont make much of an impact in my pay but I will now be running just that much slower than the cars around me. I have noticed in the last couple weeks that a LOT of truck are running slower than before. People in cars don't handle slower traffic very well. As the trucks slow down that the 4-wheelers(trucker talk for cars) don't it starts to become a safety problem. I watch everyday as 4-wheelers do REALLY REALLY stupid things to get past slower vehicles.

I don't pay for the fuel, my company does, but I do keep track of the fuel consumption of my truck, as well as prices. So far this year I have put over $14k worth of fuel in my truck. $3500 of that was this month alone, and that was without running for 12 days this month. Frightening isn't it?

Right now I am getting $.29/mile and I average about 2400 miles per week, or about $700 a week, give or take depending on the week. In a few weeks my pay will go up to $.31/mile, or about $740/week.

As you gain experience that pay goes up. Some companies will pay for to $.50/mile for a guy with 10+ years of experience.

Edit to add: I threw some info about my $50 pickup on my website.

15. LumbermanSVO thread starter macrumors 65816

I keep track of everything I can think of. If I can quantify it, I keep track of it. I do this to keep track of my own performance, and compare it to the company quarterly figured they give me.

Today I compared my pay to my logs books, I have been making just a tick over $14/hour.

My average load is 638 miles, 101 of those are empty. I average about 52 MPH and 6.3 MPG for all my driving combined. The cost of fuel has gone up from a high of $.54 cents per miles and a low of $.31CPM in January to almost $.70CPM this month even though I am I am getting better milage this month.

I spent $34.53 per load on food and other odds and ends. It works out to $11.82/day in personal expenses, I'm trying to get this under $10. I've paid $2271 in just pay-related taxes this year. The average truck in the US spends about $14,000 in road use taxes a year, thats before paying the driver, insurance, fuel or any of the other countless things that get tacked on.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

One thing I loved growing up was playing with my dad's cb radio. Truckers are the best at conversations. You will hear the best dirty stuff.:p

Would you ever work the ice road.

17. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

that's cool that you track everything like that. that'll be nice when you get up to $0.50/mile

18. LumbermanSVO thread starter macrumors 65816

My dad gave me his old radio. It is a Cobra 21, only 21 channels instead of the standard 40. Some of the channels don't work anymore but it get 19 and 17 just fine. It has my dad's old license still on it, dated 1980. He modified it to get the "funny channels," a bunch of illegal channels below channel 1. I have to mount it upside down because of the knob for the funny channels. He also turned it up to 4.5 Watts, the legal limit is 3. I'll keep using it until I've saved up enough points on one of my fuel cards to get a new, free radio.

Guys on the radio today are not what they used to be. Most of the time I keep mine off because of drivers just fighting with each other. When the weather or traffic turns bad I turn it back on and listen for any useful info. I also turn it off when backing up in a truck stop. I heard a funny joke one time I a traffic backup in Alubuquerque, NM:

SixString: I wrote a song about my Ex-wife and all the good times we had, Anyone wanna hear it?
    Random Driver: Yeah driver, I'd like to hear that.
    Six String: Ok, goes goes like this...
    (silence)
    SixString: Did ya like it?

I wouldn't actively pursue a gig on the ice roads, but if one came my way I'd jump at it in a heartbeat. It isn't quite what The History Channel portrayed it to be. In fact Nuna Logistics will not allow The History Channel back on their roads due to how bad of a job they did on the TV show. I believe The History Channel has been seeking the use of other roads for another season of "Ice Road Truckers"

19. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Lumberman, I read through this whole thread and it was a really interesting 15 minutes.

Couple things - if you like Seattle hip hop, you owe it to yourself to at least give Dyme Def a listen. I prefer them over BS and Common market quite a bit.

Beths isn't half bad either. I'm assuming you're from the area or at least come through alot?

And we can see that you're a Swift man based on those accident pics ;)

20. adk macrumors 68000

adk

What are your thoughts on states with separate speed limits for 4-wheelers and Trucks? The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Illinois, which is 65 for cars and 55 for trucks.

21. LumbermanSVO thread starter macrumors 65816

taylorwilsdon: I'll be sure to give them a listen. One thing I really like about the Seattle hip-hop scene, and the rest of the Seattle music scene, is that there is no one particular sound that defines it. You can't pick one song on the radio and say "that's what it sounds like" It is also one of the few places where record store open and thrive, in others cities then close.

I was born and raised in Greenwood. I really love the area but I can't stand the traffic and can't afford to live there anymore. Last September I moved to Colorado Springs. I really like being able to drive accross town between 3 and 7pm! One thing I alwady do when I'm in town is visit Sonic Boom and Beth's. I have yet to find and omlete or hash brown better than Beth's.

I also had a cool weekend gig for about 2-3 years. I setup sound, lighting and video for concerts, mostly at White River. It was a blast and quite a workout. My first show I lost 3lbs!

Afk: I could name 6 states off the top of my head that have split speed limits. I find split limits to be dangerous, for the reasons mentioned above. There have been lots of studies done, both by independent groups and the government, and all of then show that between 70-80% of car/truck accidents are caused by the 4-wheeler.

22. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I wouldn't dispute that fact. Most drivers don't realize how difficult it is to drive (and stop, for that matter) with ANY trailer, let alone a 53 - footer. My driving philosophy is "give the truckers space." Maybe someday they'll realize that darting between 50,000lb. 18 wheelers is going to get them killed, but I'm not counting on it.

23. LumbermanSVO thread starter macrumors 65816

My truck weighs 33k full of fuel with an empty trailer. The heaviest I've been is 79,300 with a load of flour. In the northwestern states a truck can weigh up to 105,500. Even the heaviest consumer SUV's don't weigh 10k.

24. LumbermanSVO thread starter macrumors 65816

I send Emails to family and friends every few days. This is the one I just sent them:

Attached Files: