Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
I can't wait for this to die down and go back to the default of arguing about RAM some more.

I never thought Ill welcome the RAM threads back!

Anything over this!!!!

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
i would like to know details of the accident, how it happened AND how it got into global news. Tech sites do not publish ONE news in a minute all over the globe just because of some broken unit. Someone made sure that the "news" would be feed to all news channels at same time.

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
i would like to know details of the accident, how it happened AND how it got into global news. Tech sites do not publish ONE news in a minute all over the globe just because of some broken unit. Someone made sure that the "news" would be feed to all news channels at same time.

Nice observation. And, without being a conspiracy theorist, I could probably guess WHY...

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010

No you don't understand how neatly this plays out to people who aren't fans of Apple.

There are innumerable layers of why this is such a delicious criticism for people.

Its up there with a doomsday fulfillment story from the Bible itself.

Like we are gluttons for thinness and lightness and we are fancy and fruity and it finally came to bite us in the ass and we are not perfect and there are so many juicy jokes to make.

So nobody had to send it to anyone, it was a self sustaining cancer from the beginning. People who don't even keep up with Apple would want to revel about this.

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
No you don't understand how neatly this plays out to people who aren't fans of Apple.

There are innumerable layers of why this is such a delicious criticism for people.

Its up there with a doomsday fulfillment story from the Bible itself.

Like we are gluttons for thinness and lightness and we are fancy and fruity and it finally came to bite us in the ass and we are not perfect and there are so many juicy jokes to make.

So nobody had to send it to anyone, it was a self sustaining cancer from the beginning. People who don't even keep up with Apple would want to revel about this.

Odd that things like Samsung racing the Note 4 to market because of pressure from Apple isn't making headlines. BUT, some idiot bends their phone by trying to bend the phone? Front page NYT...

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Except sitting on something doesn't concentrate the entirety of your bodyweight on that point.

Unless your ass morphs in to something the size of a pinhead when sitting. Then yes. I have a sneaking suspicion that no one's ass does that though.

The pin point will be in the surface you sit on not your arse. If surface is hard.

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
Mass plus speed of sitting down increase force ;)

Note to self.. Do not put iPhone 6 Plus in back pocket then fall on my ass due to slipping on ice (not that there's ice where I live...). Got it.

Besides, why the hell would you put a $1000 phone in your BACK POCKET where thieves can EASILY steal it??

Seriously, bendgate might have actually lowered my IQ from reading the posts about it...

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Note to self.. Do not put iPhone 6 Plus in back pocket then fall on my ass due to slipping on ice (not that there's ice where I live...). Got it.

Besides, why the hell would you put a $1000 phone in your BACK POCKET where thieves can EASILY steal it??

Seriously, bendgate might have actually lowered my IQ from reading the posts about it...

Just cause you don't do it doesn't mean others don't. And no I wouldn't either.

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
I'd wager that because in most jean pockets, the Plus is so big that it sticks out around where the volume buttons are and not the very middle of the phone. Perhaps it's safer to put the phone in your pocket upside down so that the volume buttons are completely past the lip of the pocket. Regardless, I think just the size and thinness of the phone itself will cause the phone to 'twist'/bend once any amount of pressure is applied. And since the casing is aluminum, it will stay bent.

hu? in what jeans? mine fits completely in my pocket

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
Just cause you don't do it doesn't mean others don't. And no I wouldn't either.

Wonder if Honda would replace my car because I can't take a hammer to it?

Would Samesoon replace a Note 4 because I drove over it and cracked the screen? (ZOMG!!! The screen isn't CAR PROOF!!! It BREAKS!!!!!)

Houses burn when you light them on fire; pages in a book tear when you tear them; clothes rip with you rip them; metal bends when you bend it.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
The bend test video we all know was unfair they need to use a new iphone 6+ without any bend.

If you see the video of the test the iphone 6 + was already damaged, and as you know a bend aluminum is a lot easier to bend. If the iphone 6 + of the video was 100% ok I am sure that it will not bend or it will be too difficult to bend.

Why nobody is speaking about this? Maybe the iphone 6 + was placed in the back pocket and that caused to bend, then after already having a bend issue it is easier to bend it with your hands.

It would be great that some one try to bend a new iphone without any bend to see how hard it is. Maybe it will be as hard as the iphone 6

Also I am sure that the iphone 6 + bends more easily because of heat, all metals bend easier when you heat them. If your are in a heat place or your iphone is too hot it will bend easier.

Someone needs to make more tests about the bend issue with more heat, cold, and more.

With 20 million visits the bend iphone 6 + video is too popular but I think it was done incorrectly and that video is an unfair test.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007

Would Samesoon replace a Note 4 because I drove over it and cracked the screen? (ZOMG!!! The screen isn't CAR PROOF!!! It BREAKS!!!!!)

Houses burn when you light them on fire; pages in a book tear when you tear them; clothes rip with you rip them; metal bends when you bend it.

Let's sue everybody!!! RIGHT? right?....... :(
This is as stupid as people putting their babies in microwaves because there wasn't mentioned anywhere in the instructions NOT to put a baby in the microwave.

I think we can all agree people are just making money on these videos and click bait sites. And so does macrumors. NOBODY would watch a video of a blackberry bending. NOBODY.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK

I can see why your head hurts now as none of that makes sense to this conversation.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
he states its unlikely the iPhone will see 100lbs of force in the wild. Thats because he's 90lbs soaking wet. What about a 200lb user sitting on their iPhone? video test = epic fail

----------

better testing facilities. Im sure apple has something similar

http://youtu.be/dc9c5YFyovU?t=1m21s

He should have not said that. It will see 100lb+ in the wild. Does he not know 68% of Americans are overweight?

Thin 6061 non-tempered aluminum, large surface area and small material cross section at the edge near the volume, mute and sim tray contribute to it's bendability.

odvan

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2011
It's hardly scientific.

They should reproduce the situation your phone experiencing in your pocket, when you sit down and body is pushing upper part of the pocket.

So instead of pushing it in the middle it should be the other way: one press should be pushed to the lower part of the phone and the second to the upper in other way.

Attachments

• bending_6+.jpg
    bending_6+.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 60

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
I believe many more cases of 6+ phones bending will be reported over time.

Most everyone who gets a new gadget will baby it. If they put it in their pocket, they will keep that fact in the forefront of their mind and be very careful bending. However, over time as the excitement wears off, people will often "temporarily" forget they have the phone in their pockets.

So when things happen like someone drops something and you instinctively bend down to pick it up (especially if she's cute) you could end up with a bent phone. For people who do not put their 6+ in their pocket; three months from now, you may make a split-second decision and slip the phone in your pocket to help a friend carry some heavy items from his car to his apartment. There are many,many examples of normal behavior that will result in the phone being put under physical stress.

The issue is the threshold of force to bend the 6+ is too low.

Last edited:

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
lol I love it.

"lol bro why you crying over your bent phone? Jeez it's not like the end of the world, just deal with it and stop crying like a girl. God, I love Apple! All this bend-gate does is prove who's a true Apple loyalist and who is a crybaby who can't handle a bent phone. The bend means the phone is authentic."
That's sad. An "apple loyalist"? Im not taking any sides. I'm saying the amount of anger and vitriol this phone generates is ridiculous. It's just a phone.

And I don't see why anyone would be an "Apple loyalist". Or an android loyalist. These are Fortune 500 companies whose soul goal is to rake in obscene profits. Being loyal to them is like being loyal to a con man.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I'm with a few here that think Samsung or another corp. paid someone to start this. I truly believe that. I don't believe someone put a phone in their pocket and it bent like the photos show. That just takes too much force.

JoeTomasone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014

Yeah, boy; they are in some deep doo-doo dropping $3.00 like that.

aaplquote_zps7d2c40bf.jpg

We'd better check the one-year chart:

aaplchart_zps3ef4c7d7.jpg

What about Samsung? Surely they must be doing well given Apple's woes..

ssnlfquote_zps296e494a.jpg
:eek:

ssnlfchart_zpsb202aae5.jpg
:eek:

Yeah, poor Apple... Suffering huge.

----------

He should have not said that. It will see 100lb+ in the wild. Does he not know 68% of Americans are overweight?

Thin 6061 non-tempered aluminum, large surface area and small material cross section at the edge near the volume, mute and sim tray contribute to it's bendability.

First, 100lbs of weight does not equal 100lbs of force.

Second, I weigh 155lbs. If I sit down, not all of my weight is concentrated on the area occupied by one pocket. At least half is on the "other cheek", so to speak. So, at most, 77.5 lbs of weight is resting on the phone.

However, mass does not equal force. 100lbs of weight resting on you might hurt, 100lbs of weight propelled at you could kill you.

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
What about Samsung? Surely they must be doing well given Apple's woes..

Image:eek:

Image:eek:

LOL!!! The whole market is in free-fall today. I lost enough money today to buy a large number of iPhone 6+'s... Oh well.. I was also buying. So, it should be ok... Hopefully...

But, Samesoon deserves to go to $0.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.