Let's use science to figure out how bendable the iPhone 6 Plus is!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WolfSnap, Sep 25, 2014.

1. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

WolfSnap

2. kalebnate macrumors 6502

Some comments in that video pointed out that the test should be done beside the volume button since it might be a structural weak point there.

3. Miltz macrumors 6502a

Finally a real scientific test. I'm excited about the results and it's exactly what I expected. Now if only my phone would come in the mail. Dam you ATT!

4. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

This . I was actually one who said that.

5. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

It is not as easy to bend these as so many fear mongering threads have posted.

Having said that the 6 series would be a little weaker around the volume buttons. The volume buttons on the 6 take up much more area than on the 5 so it would definitely take less force to bend here. How much? Who knows?

On top of that, the power button moved to the side also weakens the other side versus having the button on top like past models.

6. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

7. bluush macrumors 6502

lol I love it.

"lol bro why you crying over your bent phone? Jeez it's not like the end of the world, just deal with it and stop crying like a girl. God, I love Apple! All this bend-gate does is prove who's a true Apple loyalist and who is a crybaby who can't handle a bent phone. The bend means the phone is authentic."

8. BvizioN Suspended

BvizioN

Yes, but why? Is there any reason to believe that when phone is in a pocked, that particular point get more pressure?

9. kalebnate macrumors 6502

I'm not sure personally, but I think it's due to the 3 pictures ever released of this problem indicate a bend there.

10. bluush macrumors 6502

I'd wager that because in most jean pockets, the Plus is so big that it sticks out around where the volume buttons are and not the very middle of the phone. Perhaps it's safer to put the phone in your pocket upside down so that the volume buttons are completely past the lip of the pocket. Regardless, I think just the size and thinness of the phone itself will cause the phone to 'twist'/bend once any amount of pressure is applied. And since the casing is aluminum, it will stay bent.

11. bob24 macrumors 6502

So this video clearly shows the iPhone 6 Plus is more damage prone ...

Yes the Samsung phone they tested does bend more, but then it returns to its original shape with no obvious permanent damage. However thet clearly mention the iPhone does not do this and therefore does suffer permanent damage.

Probably not a deal breaker as long as you are aware of it, but if Apple keeps making thin and large phones I would be more confident with then using either strong metal or more elastic materials which can bend and come back to their original shape.

12. Zxxv Suspended

he states its unlikely the iPhone will see 100lbs of force in the wild. Thats because he's 90lbs soaking wet. What about a 200lb user sitting on their iPhone? video test = epic fail

----------

better testing facilities. Im sure apple has something similar

http://youtu.be/dc9c5YFyovU?t=1m21s

13. Jman13 macrumors 68000

But why the heck are you sitting on your phone?

14. Zxxv Suspended

accidents happen.

And I'm no where near 200lbs by the way :D

15. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Yes, and accidents aren't a design flaw...these phones aren't melting and warping by gentle pressure...it takes some serious force. Sure, the phone may have just been in your pocket, but you need to be aware of the forces you're exerting on a device in your pocket. Lean up against a hard edge? That's a LOT of force. Bend over when the phone is beyond the pivot point of your leg? A LOT of force. Have the phone go sideways on you and sit down, pulling both ends against your femur? Again, a LOT of force.

When I was making sure I wanted the 6 and not the 6+, I used those cutouts, and I could see easily, that a 6+ in my regular jeans pocket would put crazy amounts of force on the last inch of the phone if I bent over while sitting. I can theoretically fit my iPad Mini in my front pocket too, but if I sit with that thing in there, I'm going to mangle it to heck. It's common sense.

I shattered my 5S when it fell out of my pocket and landed perfectly flat on the back on concrete. It was a short fall, but the circumstances were perfect to put a crazy amount of force through the screen (absolutely no tumbling...it landed perfectly flat and didn't even move after landing)....and of course the glass shattered. I wasn't mad at Apple...it was a) my fault for not making sure it was fully in my pocket and b) bad luck from hitting the ground in just the right way to shatter it. Would have happened with most any glass device.

16. Inframan macrumors 6502

Inframan

Thank You for posting this !!

17. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Impressed how the 5 held up. But then again, increase size of unit to like the others, let's see how well it's stands up then.

18. WolfSnap thread starter macrumors 6502a

WolfSnap

Interesting how macrumors isn't posting this video on the front page? Hmmm......

19. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Ain't that the truth.

20. StoneJack macrumors 6502a

StoneJack

I think that competitors bent the phone on purpose and paid press began to circulate to stop momentum of iPhone plus sales, especially before launch of Note 4.
    In real world, phones made of metal just dont' bend in pockets

21. WolfSnap thread starter macrumors 6502a

WolfSnap

That's exactly my thought. Samesoon has been caught offering money in exchange for editorial comment for years. This isn't anything new.

Do you really think that original youtube video guy just happened to have $5000 worth of phones lying around to bend on a whim?? Smells fishy.

22. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

100 pounds of force doesn't mean it was sat upon by a 100 pound person. Physics, people.

23. kalebnate macrumors 6502

He gained way more than $5000 for doing that video. Look at how many views it got. He can buy himself a MacBook as well as another iPhone if he wants.

24. dBoPlay macrumors newbie

Except sitting on something doesn't concentrate the entirety of your bodyweight on that point.

Unless your ass morphs in to something the size of a pinhead when sitting. Then yes. I have a sneaking suspicion that no one's ass does that though.