Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iLikeTurtles!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
so i took a pic, tis hard to see but the samsung screen is alot warmer then the LG

i guess different contrast?

i havent noticed this ghosting or image retenttion some other users are bsing about but is the samsung better?

i kenw this may happen wen i exchanged it for a 2.6ghz model over my original 2.3ghz model that came with the samsung screen

thoughts?

samsung left

LG right

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    583.1 KB · Views: 3,040
  • photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,022
Last edited:

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
Could you post a backlight bleeding test in a dark environment with solid black background side by side? This will be the deciding factor on which screen is superior and best choice to keep.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
The one on the right is better at that setting. Look are the interior of the Galaxy. You can see more detail. Of course it's silly to make a call like this from that photo. It's like critiquing art from across a football field.

This is just a good example of how you need to calibrate these screens. Ill bet a good percentage of all these screen issues is this.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
What a horrible photo. Look at the keyboard color on the MacBook to the right. Obviously both machines are in a completely different light.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
This is truly inconsequential. I mean there are enough variations in terms of ambient lighting alone to disregard any minor differences. Beyond that bringing up a desktop doesn't test anything. It doesn't tell you important details such as how shadow detail is reproduced or how it handles non primary colors. There's really no way to transform this image into valid data.

iLikeTurtles!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
i took this with the iphone 4s lol umm i can try again

basically there both crisp and clear its jsut the samsung, has a more warmer white look

----------

i thre in a second picture, in the dark, maybe that willhelp?

Jdem2

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011
NJ and PA
To be honest, the Samsung looks washed out. Like mac jones says, look at the center of the galaxy...the one on the left seems really intense and the one on the right has more detail.

iLikeTurtles!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
To be honest, the Samsung looks washed out. Like mac jones says, look at the center of the galaxy...the one on the left seems really intense and the one on the right has more detail.

i do apoligize its not the best pic

both pics show good detail etc cause well its retina

but the samsung has more of a warmer look which im not sure is the right screne or not.

i compare both whites and the samsung seems to eb warmer, or "yellooweerer" somewhat then the LG

i wish i had my nikon...

i droped the kit lens and it broke...thank god the body is ok...but i busted the lens....fml

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania

but the samsung has more of a warmer look which im not sure is the right screne or not.

i compare both whites and the samsung seems to eb warmer, or "yellooweerer" somewhat then the LG

i wish i had my nikon...

i droped the kit lens and it broke...thank god the body is ok...but i busted the lens....fml
Most people here complain that the LG looks yellower compared to Samsungs.

Mine looks to be about 6500k based on my calibrated NEC monitors.

iLikeTurtles!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
there also both at full brightness.

from my qualitative obversations, (my eye) the samsung is ever so slightly brighter

----------

Most people here complain that the LG looks yellower compared to Samsungs.

Mine looks to be about 6500k based on my calibrated NEC monitors.

from my comparison, the samsung looks much warmer (yellower)

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

i wish i had my nikon...

Sorry about your nikon:(. This remains a point I've been trying to make. When it gets down to a point where you're splitting hairs and analyzing camera angle and viewing conditions or simply taking a poll on who prefers whatever one, it's a sign that you're to the point where you might see that much variation between panels of the same brand. Slightly yellow or blue isn't anything anyway. If it must be as neutral as possible, you'd need a colorimeter to even attempt this as these things naturally drift over time.

iLikeTurtles!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Sorry about your nikon:(. This remains a point I've been trying to make. When it gets down to a point where you're splitting hairs and analyzing camera angle and viewing conditions or simply taking a poll on who prefers whatever one, it's a sign that you're to the point where you might see that much variation between panels of the same brand. Slightly yellow or blue isn't anything anyway. If it must be as neutral as possible, you'd need a colorimeter to even attempt this as these things naturally drift over time.

the screens are set at color LCD, the default of whatever apples settings are though, u would think they should be the same.

sometimes...reading these forums....mind f#$! the heck out of me when purchasing new apple products.

although its just a minority as im sure the thousamds of people who bought the retina dont go to forums to report there mac, u cant negate that possbility lol

theuserjohnny

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
I personally never wanted an LG because I thought Samsung was better however from my experience's all my LG rMBPs have had the screen retention image while the Samsung screen's I've had, have not been able to reproduce the issue.

In all honesty I don't see that big of a difference and in all honesty had it not been for comparing the two screens together would you have noticed it?

Also I'm not sure if it's me but I feel as if the left rMBP isn't in focus where as the one on the right is.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
the screens are set at color LCD, the default of whatever apples settings are though, u would think they should be the same.

sometimes...reading these forums....mind f#$! the heck out of me when purchasing new apple products.

although its just a minority as im sure the thousamds of people who bought the retina dont go to forums to report there mac, u cant negate that possbility lol

This is something I try to explain at times. No matter what, you have a specific pass/fail range when it comes to determining what is in spec. None of these are reference grade devices. Color LCD is also a default preset. You can typically get it a bit better via measurement, but Apple figures it will be good enough for most people. If you're a photographer, videographer, graphic designer, etc. profiling via colorimeter isn't a bad idea. I do mention with anything that with some of these newer LED backlit and Adobe RGB panels, only the most recent generation of colorimeters is appropriate. Colorimeters are somewhat limited in the range of what they can see. Being made as generic units can be problematic because of this, but the overall consensus is pretty decent if you stick to the newest ones. Take it for what it's worth. These things are quite good, but they're not constructed as reference grade devices. If you line several up and squint at them, seeing a difference doesn't necessarily mean the device is out of spec. If you're comparing it to a different model or iphone or something (a couple people did this) all bets are off as they could be totally different gamuts or brightness ranges.

iLikeTurtles!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
This is something I try to explain at times. No matter what, you have a specific pass/fail range when it comes to determining what is in spec. None of these are reference grade devices. Color LCD is also a default preset. You can typically get it a bit better via measurement, but Apple figures it will be good enough for most people. If you're a photographer, videographer, graphic designer, etc. profiling via colorimeter isn't a bad idea. I do mention with anything that with some of these newer LED backlit and Adobe RGB panels, only the most recent generation of colorimeters is appropriate. Colorimeters are somewhat limited in the range of what they can see. Being made as generic units can be problematic because of this, but the overall consensus is pretty decent if you stick to the newest ones. Take it for what it's worth. These things are quite good, but they're not constructed as reference grade devices. If you line several up and squint at them, seeing a difference doesn't necessarily mean the device is out of spec. If you're comparing it to a different model or iphone or something (a couple people did this) all bets are off as they could be totally different gamuts or brightness ranges.

I personally never wanted an LG because I thought Samsung was better however from my experience's all my LG rMBPs have had the screen retention image while the Samsung screen's I've had, have not been able to reproduce the issue.

In all honesty I don't see that big of a difference and in all honesty had it not been for comparing the two screens together would you have noticed it?

Also I'm not sure if it's me but I feel as if the left rMBP isn't in focus where as the one on the right is.

did the checkerboard thingy.....this cant be happening... i just got my retina macbook in replacement TODAY

what do i do?

Attachments

• photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 770

iLikeTurtles!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
The one on the right is better at that setting. Look are the interior of the Galaxy. You can see more detail. Of course it's silly to make a call like this from that photo. It's like critiquing art from across a football field.

This is just a good example of how you need to calibrate these screens. Ill bet a good percentage of all these screen issues is this.

check out my test picture for the checkerboard

----------

its even noticable on the mountain lion space wallpaper!!

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
did the checkerboard thingy.....this cant be happening... i just got my retina macbook in replacement TODAY

what do i do?

First of all it's better to notice it with a checkboard than p0rn:p.

Image persistence is often temporary, but if you're feeling nervous, you could exchange it. If it's ghosting after minutes, I could see that. I mean we haven't really seen the long term reliability of this generation yet. I'm not using one personally. I know two people with rMBPs. I am not switching a 2011 for a 2012. Broadwell is a more likely candidate.

iLikeTurtles!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
First of all it's better to notice it with a checkboard than p0rn:p.

Image persistence is often temporary, but if you're feeling nervous, you could exchange it. If it's ghosting after minutes, I could see that. I mean we haven't really seen the long term reliability of this generation yet. I'm not using one personally. I know two people with rMBPs. I am not switching a 2011 for a 2012. Broadwell is a more likely candidate.

it shouldnt even happen in the first place with any MODERN screen especially something this high end
un f$%$ing believable

Blue604

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
I went thru 3 Samsungs, and the 4th one is LG. I can say that even among Samsungs, there are some that's warmer color than others.

1st samsung has 1 red dead pixel
2nd samsung has bad backlight bleed in all 4 corners, not sure if it because of the backlight bleed, but the color looks warmer compare to 3rd samsung
3rd samsung is perfect screen, but the case creaks when I rest my palms along trackpads
4th is LG, yes warmer compare to 3rd one, but since I shipped 2nd samsung back, I can't really compare to that. But I actually find in aperture, under same photos, warmer looks better to my eyes. (Kind of like Canon vs Nikon photos if you know).

The LG one has minor backlight bleed, and slight more red on right and more green on left. But I think it's acceptable.

Tested the checker board on 1st day, and no problem. Will test more the next few days.

Edit: added photos
1st pic is my 2nd Samsung with backlight bleed in all 4 corners
2nd and 3rd are LG vs 3rd Samsung. I would say 3rd samsung is perfect screen.

Attachments

• IMG_1629.jpg
    IMG_1629.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_1723.jpg
    IMG_1723.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 588
  • IMG_1724.jpg
    IMG_1724.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 778
Last edited:

theuserjohnny

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
check out my test picture for the checkerboard

----------

its even noticable on the mountain lion space wallpaper!!

Yep I went through 4 LG screens all had that same issue.

However, the past two rMBPs I've gotten have been Samsung and these was over a course of roughly a week ago. They also had ML preinstalled so maybe Apple has figured out LG has been giving people (like me) issues.

The first Samsung screen was great but it just had major cosmetic damages. My current one is also Samsung and it's finally one that I am happy with. I'd get it exchanged.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
it shouldnt even happen in the first place with any MODERN screen especially something this high end
un f$%$ing believable

I've never been that impressed by Apple's displays. You can argue who makes the panels, yet much of it comes down to final implementation. I get your frustration though. This is one of the reasons why I only buy extremely stable things. I have never purchased anything on its day of release.

ducatiti

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2011
i took this with the iphone 4s lol umm i can try again

basically there both crisp and clear its jsut the samsung, has a more warmer white look

----------

i thre in a second picture, in the dark, maybe that willhelp?

When I hear the term "warmer" in terms of display, I always think yellowish tint, which I hear from the LG's a lot. I would think that the Samsung's are more white/bluish because they are much brighter, as per your pictures as well.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Hey can you do me a favor? Have both screens display a dark image and then look at the screen off angle - does either screen exhibit IPS glow?

To show what I mean, here's my LG display vs an old NEC I have lying around (which is also IPS).

O32aGl.jpg

Notice how the NEC has an orangish glow coming from the corner, while the rMBP... doesn't. I suspect this may be because the LG display has something called an A-TW polarizer, which is designed to reduce the IPS glow. The tradeoff usually is that you can see green/magenta hues at the corners when looking head-on. But that's not necessarily indicative of actual backlight bleed.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
so i took a pic, tis hard to see but the samsung screen is alot warmer then the LG

i guess different contrast?

i havent noticed this ghosting or image retenttion some other users are bsing about but is the samsung better?

i kenw this may happen wen i exchanged it for a 2.6ghz model over my original 2.3ghz model that came with the samsung screen

thoughts?

samsung left

LG right

Hard to tell - except the one on the right is either calibrated properly or has a greater dmax (contrast ratio), resulting in less white blooming...

Or maybe the one on the left has the brightness setting too high - looking at both, the left one seems 'brighter' in all of the color and gray areas... were the brightness settings on both monitors equal?

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Hard to tell - except the one on the right is either calibrated properly or has a greater dmax (contrast ratio), resulting in less white blooming...

Or maybe the one on the left has the brightness setting too high - looking at both, the left one seems 'brighter' in all of the color and gray areas... were the brightness settings on both monitors equal?

The samsungs are known to get a little brighter than the LGs. In that picture the contrast looks off, but I suspect that's just it being overexposed in the photo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.