LG Announces Additional TVs With AirPlay 2 and HomeKit Launching Between April and June

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 18, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

LG today detailed upcoming availability of its 2019 NanoCell LED 4K Ultra HD smart TVs with AirPlay 2 and HomeKit support.

[​IMG]

The new NanoCell lineup is divided into the Nano 8 and Nano 9 series, with 11 models in total ranging in size from 49 inches to 86 inches. Seven models will be available starting in April, followed by one model in May and three in June. Prices range from $799 to $4,299 in the United States.

LG detailed availability of other AirPlay 2 TVs coming to its lineup last week and says more will be announced later this year.

AirPlay 2 support will allow users to stream videos, music, photos, and more directly from an iPhone, iPad, and Mac to compatible LG smart TVs, complete with lock screen controls. HomeKit support will enable users to easily control the TVs using Siri voice commands or the Home app on iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

Samsung, Sony, and Vizio also plan to release AirPlay 2-enabled smart TVs this year. Last month, Samsung's new 2019 lineup of QLED 4K and 8K TVs with AirPlay 2 support became available to pre-order in the United States. MacRumors also reported that Roku is in talks with Apple about AirPlay 2 integration.

LG's 2019 TVs will also feature Amazon Alexa alongside Google Assistant.

Article Link: LG Announces Additional TVs With AirPlay 2 and HomeKit Launching Between April and June

2. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

3. EnJaNir macrumors member

I couldn't agree more.

4. Unity451, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019

Unity451 macrumors 6502

Unity451

What you don't have an endless supply of money to drop $799 to $4299 on a non-future-proof tv every couple years?

5. StrangeNoises macrumors member

StrangeNoises

so, this is all software, but no word on software updates to existing capable models, amirite?

Sod it, I have an AppleTV 4K anyway (Bought before the OLED TV). This is partly why. People moan about apple but they do at least support their products with software updates for a proper period.

6. Aldaris macrumors 68000

Aldaris

Absolutely. They are still supporting hardware from 2013-still on sale today. /s

7. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

I've got the 2018 LG that won't be updated, but I'm not bothered as I have the AppleTV 4K.

But this only gives you streaming over airplay though right? No dedicated Apple Movies app like the Samsung is getting?

8. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

LG's OLED televisions are excellent, truly best-in-class and look amazing day or night. So where is the OLED iPad Pro?

9. JetTester macrumors 6502

A nice addition if you just happen to be looking for a new TV with exactly those features at this time. But if you have a fairly new one, or an Apple TV, there's nothing really compelling about it. Pass...

10. McG2k1 macrumors regular

McG2k1

I wish they’d make a 32” oled for my office client monitor.

11. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

6F36B379-9208-4152-8372-1C42C1C029C7.gif

After seeing LG screw over their customers who had just purchased a brand new 2018 TV, they made very clear that they won’t support their customers like other brands do. Why would I ever want to buy an LG tv ever again? Thanks for the heads up LG.

12. d5aqoëp macrumors 65816

d5aqoëp

LG is the most pathetic brand when it comes to software updates.

13. rpe33 macrumors regular

I find it hilarious all the BS marketing terms used to describe LCD displays. "nanocell" "qled" "liquid retina". IT'S ALL JUST A REGULAR LCD DISPLAY! Don't buy into the marketing mumbo jumbo, folks.

The worst offender has to be Samsung with their "Quantum" terminology. They literally just stick the word "Quantum" in front of everything and tell you it's new technology and people just eat it up. Pathetic.

14. nutmac macrumors 601

LG's concern may be to protect the sales of new TV models, not necessarily to punish customers who bought their TV 1-2 years ago.

Their thinking may be that if LG were to offer HomeKit and AirPlay 2 to last year's model, some folks would be steered to more heavily discounted last year's TV models instead of brand new models.

For instance, LG's C8 OLED TV currently sells for about $1700-1800 for 55" and $2700-2800 for 65". Their newest C9 series will sell close to retail price for next several months, $2500 for 55" and $3500 for 65". At $700-800 savings, many folks would no doubt overlook improved performance and new features, especially if they can get HomeKit and AirPlay 2 via firmware update.

Many years ago, Apple sold software update that brought new features to the older OS or hardware, such as FaceTime macOS app ($0.99) and 802.11n ($1.99). Perhaps LG selling HomeKit and AirPlay 2 to older model may offset some of the loss sales to newest models? Say, $200?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 18, 2019 ---
    If you think about it, LED is also BS. It's just LCD with LED lighting (instead of CCFL).

Many folks think QLED is equivalent or superior to OLED!

15. Classie macrumors regular

What is NanoCell LED? Better/next version of OLED or a cool name for “regular” LED display.

16. trifero macrumors 6502

trifero

Initially, they were to do it.

17. jimthing, Mar 18, 2019

jimthing macrumors 65816

jimthing

If you don't need any new TV's, then given there are now the first early adopter expensive 8K's from the likes of Samsung coming into the marketplace, why not wait a couple of years and go straight from 2K to 8K, and skip 4K in the process?

Give it another 2 years, and the 8K's will be at this price, and you'll have saved yourself a lot of money buyng the needless "middle UHD" variant TV's. (wait until the usual end of year sales discounting, between Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan and save money again.)

It's in many ways similar to the previous HD vs. Full HD debacle from 15 years ago. People were told "buy into the new amazing HD TV!", only to then get told two years later "buy into the proper Full HD 1080p!". Many people who bought early paid through the noise for the 720p TV's, while the savvy ones one waited not only paid a lot less, but got FHD models as well.

Content to this day in FHD is lacking across terrestrial broadcasters. After you bought the FHD TV, you then typically still today have to sign-up for cable or over-the-top; the free-to-air stuff (e.g. "Freeview HD" here in the UK) has only a fractional few of the free-to-air channels in FHD. So your "regular" TV viewing, like news (especially local news channels), magazine programmes, drama – even via free catchup services (from BBC/ITV/C4) are limited to just 720p. Not great at the moment if you own 2K certainly non-existent on 4K/8K TV's, even with upscaling, it's hardly native resolution content.

Anyway, so far we've had: 4K, then 4K HDR, then 4K HDR with Dolby Atmos, now we have {QLED/nano/add-name-here} variants of the former, then we will have OLED/local-OLED/(whatever name doesn't leave burn-in!) versions of this.

And then we'll have 8K versions of that (likely with the usual couple of 'extra' to-have marketing things, in the middle!).

I'd suggest waiting until this 8K point happens, unless you just can't save that cash from leaving your wallet, lol! Regardless of whether you can "see" the difference on normal 55-65" sets, you'll still feel cheesed-off at not having "Full UHD" only a couple of years later.

And around we go.

18. nutmac macrumors 601

I am personally very skeptical of 8K for many reasons.
    1. In most households, people sit at a distance where the benefits of native 4K contents are barely appreciated. They will need a very large 8K screen to appreciate all the pixels, which explains why most 8K TVs announced this year are larger than 80". If you are not intending to buy 80" or larger TV, or sit very close to the TV, 8K will be wasted.
    2. 8K requires about 4 times the storage space and processing power as 4K.
    3. 8K is no doubt more future proof, but many movies and TV series with CGI are mastered in DCI 2K (slightly wider than 1080p but essentially the same). Almost all the rest are 4K. So 8K will rely heavily on upscaler. Even IMAX and Dolby Cinema laser digital projection systems, widely considered the best in the industry, are 4K.
    4. It will take awhile for gaming consoles to push 8K pixels adequately.
    5. Blu-Ray is on life support as it is, with Samsung exiting the market and more expected to follow.
    6. Many households have bandwidth cap that makes streaming even 4K digital contents less than desirable. 8K would require many to upgrade to even more expensive plan without the bandwidth cap.
    Having said that, I do think 8K would be great for certain uses, such as sports and computer-based display. And it is very possible that about 5 years or so from now, 8K can fully replace 4K, just as 4K has nearly fully replaced 1080p.

19. jimthing, Mar 18, 2019

jimthing macrumors 65816

jimthing

Sure you're likely correct, but my above comment overrides any technical issues, lol. It's all about the "feeling behind" thing being quite a nagging force of nature to our little human heads, haha!

EDIT: Should also add that of course it doesn't suddenly all stop at 8K, but given it's round the corner in TV set availability, and money is a thing for most TV buyers meaning upgrades are say around a once a decade thing, it may make a good point for many to jump into the upgrade marketplace.
    I even saw some news programme 4-5 years ago that said Hollywood studios were scanning older film into 16K, even back then. Now that is obviously for archival reasons, and "cleaning up" old film stock, so who knows if that'll be something for cinemas to get...

20. nutmac macrumors 601

When it comes to technology, I don't think we will ever be at "this is absolutely perfect and cannot be improved anymore." It's a matter of buying when you need it (although waiting few months for newer model is often wise, if you can afford to wait), understanding your needs, and getting the best for your money.

When it comes to 8K, I think it will take more than a couple of years before they will be at the 4K price range.

21. radiologyman, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2019

radiologyman macrumors 6502a

There were ramblings that hacks are in the works to bring support to older models. I would be interested but I do have 4K Apple TV already

22. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

man, when i update my 2010 tv i'm going to have a ball!

23. macfixx macrumors newbie

Exactly. Some LG display fans put $10,000 into three brand new 2018 LG OLED's for future-proofing the walls of their entire home and prefer not to have glitchy "high speed" HDMI cables and the boxes attached to deal with.

But LG sees those people as oldtech suckerfans who just like to complain about how their home theater setups look and perform and prefers they drop another $10k or just plug em all up and ****.

24. prasand macrumors 6502

prasand

*sighs* the ability to say "Hey Siri, Turn on (or off) the TV." Seems kinda nice.

25. nutmac macrumors 601

It's already available.

If you have a spare computer or willing to invest in Raspberry Pi, you can get it working today with iOS 12.2 beta:

HomebBridge WebOS TV

If you have a spare Mac, 9to5Mac has a pretty comprehensive guide