LG Dare...another iPhone clone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rotobadger, Jun 26, 2008.

1. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

2. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Saw this the other day. Looks just meh, especially the horizontal keyboard looks clumsy and leaves little to no room for anything else up top.

We shall see.

3. brandonzar macrumors regular

Why do people like Verizon so much? (really a question not a bash on Verizon) I had them a few years ago and they were okay but not any better than AT&T. My sister in-law has them and when we all went out to Oklahoma to visit my wife's parents I still had great signal (AT&T) and paid the same rates where as my sister in-law (Verizon) was on roaming. I'm not sure how roaming really works but I have yet to find a place where my AT&T phone is roaming.

4. The General macrumors 601

About the only gimmick that on that thing that looks cool is the slowmo camera.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yep, good point about VZ v. AT&T in Oklahoma. All my relatives use AT&T or Alltel, b/c VZ is constantly roaming for whatever reason. Having AT&T and the iPhone, several of my relatives went right over to AT&T to port their numbers and drop VZ.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

7. rotobadger thread starter macrumors 65816

rotobadger

It's funny because I hear conflicting opinions on networks. I have had Verizon for years and have never had a problem. I live in Phoenix, which is the 5th largest city in the country, and never ever went without signal on Verizon. With AT&T it's dropped calls all the time and NO SERVICE messages all over the city. I can understand if you're in a rural area but I have many problems with signal with AT&T. Verizon quite the opposite.

8. brandonzar macrumors regular

Maybe it is just a regional thing as to which network is best. I live in Salt Lake and I have friends with just about every different major network and we all usually have about the same signal strength. The only time we really notice is when we are out fishing in the middle of nowhere and our wives call while we are out of range, Then we try to call them back as soon as we are getting close to civilization and it us usually a crap shoot as to who gets signal first.

9. slapppy macrumors 65816

Instinct selling huge

I read that the Instinct is selling in huge numbers. Looks like the iPhone killer might have arrived. Can you copy and paste on the Instinct? ;)

10. iPaul macrumors regular

oh yeah its quite an iphone killer alright

11. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

AT&T phones have been rumored to not work as well indoors whereas Verizon doesn't have a problem. Dont post saying "well my AT&T phone works great indoors!" because im sure everyones experience is different. Thats just the account I have heard from several people that have experienced both networks.

Haven't you seen the VZW commercials? Its the network!

12. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

I thought that was pretty lame, but at least it records video.
    The only thing I liked was the simple picture editing -- an update I'd like to see on the iPhone (along with more advanced camera features).

Other than that, this thing pales, and I mean PALES in comparison to the iPhone. The UI is terrible and not smooth at all.

13. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

I've had a play with their earlier phone the Viewty and it's actually quite a nice phone. The interface was really nice except for one or two rough edges (like you could browse nicely using touch but not scroll using the wipe action, which was slightly surprising). Browser I think was Webkit (most phones are these days) so is Safari in all but name anyway. LG are definately the one to watch.. Nokia and Motorola are nowhere near as advanced in their UI enhancements.

14. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

You would think that these companies would take their time and do things right. Why not really focus on the design of the phone instead of putting out a piece of crap like that!

Memo to phone manufacturers: If your browser doesn't surf the internet like the "real internet" go back and re-design it. period.

Noone in their right "informed" mind is going to buy that phone with the iphone out there for the same price. The iphone blows that phone away.

15. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

Exactly...and obviously...
    Why do people think it's so strange that someone else has great experience w/ verizon and horrible with att while they themselves have it the other way around? Obviously it depends on where you live, which has better coverage. For me, I had verizon 2 years ago and had bad service in my area. (south suburb of chicago) If I drive 15 minutes though I'd have great coverage. Ever since I've been on ATT I've always had great service.
    it depends on your location.

and the slo mo camera is the best part about that phone and imho the only thing better than the iPhone 3g. and stereo bluetooth and horizontal keyboard...

16. impact_blue macrumors regular

This phone might keep me from jumping ship to AT&T. The only thing is that the browser SUCKS BIG TIME. That's a deal breaker for me. But no MMS or Video recording... I get the no MMS, but what's the excuse for no video?

17. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

I thought I was going to come into this thread and see a video of that phone and it was going to be ass... that phone was good no iPhone killa slow motions was cool

18. brandonzar macrumors regular

Well for some people, like myself, all of the major carriers are about the same in there area (signal wise) so it is surprising when we go somewhere with a very sharp contrast between carriers.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

whats with the icons all slanty on the "main menu" (again, menu navigation= **** UI for me). sure you can move them, but then they just look plain wierd in new locations

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Although I agree completely (for someone who is either stationary or only usually goes to a preset number of places), for those who travel extensively, particularly outside of large metropolitan areas, VZW in its defense *does* have a 3G footprint that is many times larger than AT&T's, and AT&T isn't likely to catch up anytime soon.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

to be fair, AT&T is currently POURING money into their 3G system

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

True (and I use neither AT&T nor VZW), but VZW poured money into theirs. Just the logistical scale of a venture like deploying 3G says that AT&T will take several years to catch up with Verizon -- I don't even think they've made a planned coverage map that controverts that?

23. nima macrumors member

nima

menu navigation ftl.. sorry bud

24. Golf Tango macrumors newbie

25. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

I have had AT&T for years and my partner has VZW. he loves his service and I love mine. He just ordered the LG Dare today and I am curious to see what the phone is like. Not an iPhone killer by any means from what I have read. I tried to convince him to switch to AT&T, and even offered to buy him a 3G iPhone. He won't switch because it is AT&T.
    We both live in the same city and the same home. Both have different opinions of AT&T and VZW.