LG Debuts 'Hub Robot' to Compete With Google Home and Amazon Echo

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I only bought a dot to try it out. I was skeptical because using Siri with my lights and AC units was clunky and cumbersome. Amazon echo, on the other hand, is legit. No waiting for beeps. As I walk into a room, "Alexa turn lights on" they come on. As I am walking out, "Alexa turn lights off" They go off. I get news briefings, recipes, and order essentials by just asking. My wife likes to ask about the weather as she is getting our toddler ready in the morning. It is so good at what it does, that I am going to be getting several more and a Harmony hub for my televisions.

Unless Apple has some killer feature that amazon doesn't have, I will be switching completely away from Siri/Homekit. Amazon is so much better at what it does.
It is also really good for adding calendar events and things to a shopping list if you use the Todoist app.

JungleNYC

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2014
Apple really needs to up their HomeKit game. Amazon, Google and now LG seem to all have a better head start. Perhaps their too busy with this Car BS than they really should be?

ronwasserman

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Los Angeles
Neat. Apple needs to step up their game and release their in home assistant asap. Meanwhile I just bought 6 amazon dots and I'm pretty happy with them.
I just ordered my second. Hate to say it, but Alexa is far superior to SIRI for asking basic questions. Weather is way more detailed, news etc. Apple can't catch up now I'm afraid.

EdRed

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2007
Venezuela
As in-home hub solutions grow in popularity, rumors suggest Apple is working on its own connected smart home device that's similar to the Amazon Echo. It's said to be powered by Siri and equipped with a speaker and a microphone. The hub will work with HomeKit, and there's a possibility it could be combined with another product, such as the AirPort or Apple TV.

The hub has supposedly been in development for two years and is in the prototype testing phase, but it's not clear if and when it will see an official release.
Don't forget wireless power to charge/power wireless peripherals.

kdarling

macrumors P6
As if I want the NSA IN MY HOUSE. No thanks.
I called my buddies who still work there, and they told me that NSA is absolutely disgusted with the way you drop your dirty laundry all over the place, and would not go in your house even if you paid them.

--

Seriously:

1) you keep a cell phone on you? Then "they" already know where you are and can listen in on your calls already.

2) these home devices don't work that way. they don't send anything until they hear their wakeup word.

3) People are still confused. NSA doesn't normally target Americans, unless you're calling out of country. It's not their bailiwick to spy internally. It's the FBI whom you should be worried about checking on you all the time. And the FBI has guns instead of just tape recorders :D. (Depictions of NSA on TV are incredibly far from reality.)

Last edited:

Noerdy

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2016
I have 5. I have 4 dots (1 for each room that all have smart lights and a harmony hub) and 1 regular size echo in the living room that serves the same purpose, but can also play music.
We use our dots to play music, might not get super loud, but I am not a fan of blaring music.

Reactions: mattopotamus

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Holy **** that's fugly. We can only hope it stays permanently in development.

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
I only bought a dot to try it out. I was skeptical because using Siri with my lights and AC units was clunky and cumbersome. Amazon echo, on the other hand, is legit. No waiting for beeps. As I walk into a room, "Alexa turn lights on" they come on. As I am walking out, "Alexa turn lights off" They go off. I get news briefings, recipes, and order essentials by just asking. My wife likes to ask about the weather as she is getting our toddler ready in the morning. It is so good at what it does, that I am going to be getting several more and a Harmony hub for my televisions.

Unless Apple has some killer feature that amazon doesn't have, I will be switching completely away from Siri/Homekit. Amazon is so much better at what it does.
What light switches are you using with Alexa? I find Siri to be utter crap, but I'm interested in home automation. It's a shame Apple put so much energy and effort into a vanity project like the watch and allowed its competitors to jump so far ahead in home automation.

chukronos

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2004
Colleyville, TX
What light switches are you using with Alexa? I find Siri to be utter crap, but I'm interested in home automation. It's a shame Apple put so much energy and effort into a vanity project like the watch and allowed its competitors to jump so far ahead in home automation.
Right now, it is just Philips Hue and TP link switches. Works great! I am thinking about replacing the living room switches with Lutron Caseta's to control those as well.