Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has contracted LG Display to begin production of OLED panels for iPhones. According to ETNews, the display panels will be produced at LG's E6 production line in Paju, with shipping to begin next month.

iphonexsmaxfront-800x457.jpg

LG will supply approximately 400,000 OLED panels to Apple before the end of the year, with the cost of each unit expected to be around $90.

In September it was reported that LG's sixth-generation flexible OLED display panels passed a series of Apple's quality tests, which led to the preparation phase for mass production.

In April, a report claimed that Samsung would likely remain Apple's exclusive supplier of OLED display panels for its latest phones, after LG fell behind schedule due to mass production challenges.

However it looks like LG has cemented its position as Apple's secondary supplier of OLED panels. Korean newspaper Newspin reported about a potential deal signed between Apple and LG back in July.

Apple in September launched the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max with 5.8-inch and 6.5-inch OLED displays, respectively. Last month it launched the more affordable iPhone XR, but that phone has a 6.1-inch LCD "Liquid Retina" display.

Apple can potentially negotiate lower prices for OLED panels as Samsung and LG compete for its business, which should in turn lower its production costs of OLED-equipped iPhones.

Article Link: LG Display to Supply Apple With 400,000 OLED iPhone Panels By End of Year

Last edited:

alleggerita

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
Singapore

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Any reason for needing to know?

Some people think the quality of displays differs depending on who makes it. I personally never really see differences.

Also, is anyone annoyed by the iPhone XS/Max bubble wallpapers? The quality is so poor, yet on the box of the iPhone they’re so good.

Reactions: predation

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
$90 each is definitely a lot for a single component. Especially when the order is for 400,000.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Any way to tell if I end up with the Samsung or LG display? I plan to get XS in December.
If the rumor is true, it's only 400K panels. With the total number of panels Apple will be shipping, the chances of getting an LG panel are really really small.

Look at this way. If Apple ships 50-60 million OLED panels by end of the year, 400K will be LG. You have almost no chance of getting one

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
Apple can potentially negotiate lower prices for OLED panels as Samsung and LG compete for its business, which should in turn lower its production costs of OLED-equipped iPhones
From a consumer perspective, this means nothing except more profit for Apple. It's not like it will translate to lower end user cost.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
That means only 1 thing! The price of 2019 iPhone will go up!

What a joker? :p

AMOLED has yet to transition to the iPad product line and Mac.

The setpchild being the iPod Touch, why is this product still manufactured if it’s not going to be updated?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
With the variability of quality currently coming out of Samsung for the current iPhone OLED displays, nobody is gunna see the difference between the two manufacturers. It's a crapshoot already whether you get a good display or not from Samsung.

Reactions: 5105973

shrutte

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2018
With the variability of quality currently coming out of Samsung for the current iPhone OLED displays, nobody is gunna see the difference between the two manufacturers. It's a crapshoot already whether you get a good display or not from Samsung.

I have to agree based on my experience with xs maxes that I tried.

Reactions: 5105973

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Some people think the quality of displays differs depending on who makes it. I personally never really see differences.

Also, is anyone annoyed by the iPhone XS/Max bubble wallpapers? The quality is so poor, yet on the box of the iPhone they’re so good.
Seems like all Live Wallpapers are low quality. Including the ones included for iPhone 6S and iPhone X.

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
From a consumer perspective, this means nothing except more profit for Apple. It's not like it will translate to lower end user cost.

Your right, but you forgot stock holders are happy about this news.

At Best, it’ll keep prices where they are for a little longer IMO (we’ll see) rather than increases continually each year.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
Your right, but you forgot stock holders are happy about this news.

At Best, it’ll keep prices where they are for a little longer IMO (we’ll see) rather than increases continually each year.
I didn't forget about stock holders. I commented about consumers. ;)
Two entirely different perspectives.

Not sure why you'd think a second vendor would help stabilize cost to consumers. It hasn't thus far and Apple has multiple vendors for multiple components. Yet prices still rise.

EVGabe

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2017
QC, Canada
This won’t make a difference at all. The panels are made according to Apple’s specifications, and Apple’s hardcore quality control will probably make Samsung vs. LGs panels indistinguishable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.