Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung is believed to be Apple's exclusive supplier of OLED displays for iPhones, but it may have company soon.

2018-iphone-trio.jpg

In a research note shared with MacRumors, Barclays analysts said fellow Korean company LG will likely support OLED display production for 2019 iPhones, possibly followed by Chinese manufacturer BOE as early as 2020.

Multiple reports have indicated that Apple may tap LG and BOE as additional OLED display suppliers. Apple aims to diversify its supply chain as much as possible, often securing at least two suppliers for any given component, a strategy that reduces its supply chain risk and improves its negotiating position.

Apple is widely expected to launch three new iPhones in 2019, including two higher-end 5.8-inch and 6.5-inch OLED models and one lower-end 6.1-inch LCD model. In 2020, rumors suggest Apple will complete its transition to an all-OLED lineup, including 5.4-inch, 6.1-inch, and 6.7-inch models.

Article Link: LG Expected to Share OLED Display Orders for 2019 iPhones, Possibly Followed by BOE as Early as 2020

Last edited:

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Maybe LG has finally got their act together. Various 'sources' were tipping this to happen on 2018 iPhones 18 months ago. I'd still want a Samsung panel if I was in the market for an upgrade though. I'll hang on until 2020

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
So for $1000 I can get an iPhone with an inferior Intel modem and now in all likelihood inferior OLED display. I have more confidence in BOE than LG when it comes to phone OLED. Up until this point, there has been a very noticeable difference in quality of Samsung vs. LG OLED phone screens for those who have used both. I hope I am wrong.

Every single phone on display at Apple stores will use Samsung screens to show off quality. And you'll get home and open up your craptastic LG display full of grain, smear, and pink hue.

JessWinter

Suspended
Apr 4, 2019
USA
If they can produce quality screens, I don't care.
But I don't want to be able to notice a difference between the Samsung panels and the LG ones...

Imdougurnot

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2017
Me too. I don’t care for the overly bright, overly saturated cartoonish looking colors of OLED phones. Unfortunately we’ll have to adapt in a year or two when they go all OLED.
Gotta make those emoji’s really pop.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
That’s bad news specially BOE being involved..
Apple should have used Samsung and Japan Display exclusively because quality matters.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Apple had to pay a large penalty for not ordering as many OLED panels as it had promised due to slow sales.
Its solely about diversification rather than demand?

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
Here comes OLEDgate, where owners keep returning their new iPhones until they get one that has a Samsung panel in it.

1. I doubt it is happening in 2019 iPhone, after Apple could not fulfil its previous expected OLED order and paid the penalty, the likelihood of Apple not bargaining a much better deal for 2019 iPhone OLED supply is next to zero. ( You can think of the penalty more like a upfront payment for their next contract )

2. I doubt OLED from LG and BOE will be anywhere near as good as Samsung, especially the OLED used on iPhone which is quite different to even OLED used in Samsung's phone. So the only possibility of an OLED supply from LG and BOE are OLED being used in 2020 iPhone 12R. The S Line will continue to be Samsung dominated.

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
Me too. I don’t care for the overly bright, overly saturated cartoonish looking colors of OLED phones. Unfortunately we’ll have to adapt in a year or two when they go all OLED.
My main concern with OLED is the burn in issue. I don’t want expensive tech to become unusable after few years just because of that. And such screen technology should never been used in products in my opinion. Hopefully in a couple of years Apple will switch to MicroLED which doesn’t have this issue.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Apple rarely passes savings on to customers so hopefully they don’t pass LG’s terrible product support.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
1. I doubt it is happening in 2019 iPhone, after Apple could not fulfil its previous expected OLED order and paid the penalty, the likelihood of Apple not bargaining a much better deal for 2019 iPhone OLED supply is next to zero. ( You can think of the penalty more like a upfront payment for their next contract )

2. I doubt OLED from LG and BOE will be anywhere near as good as Samsung, especially the OLED used on iPhone which is quite different to even OLED used in Samsung's phone. So the only possibility of an OLED supply from LG and BOE are OLED being used in 2020 iPhone 12R. The S Line will continue to be Samsung dominated.
I don't understand why Google is able to use (a very good) Samsung OLED in the "cheap" 3a and 1+ uses the best screen I've ever seen from Samsung in the 7 Pro (it is better than Samsung's own S10+ that I had, and my XS for that matter).

If Google can put a Samsung OLED into its $400 phone there is no reason other than greed / choice to pay less for components (in my opinion) for Apple to use LG / BOE.

racerhomie

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2015
India
So for $1000 I can get an iPhone with an inferior Intel modem and now in all likelihood inferior OLED display. I have more confidence in BOE than LG when it comes to phone OLED. Up until this point, there has been a very noticeable difference in quality of Samsung vs. LG OLED phone screens for those who have used both. I hope I am wrong.

Every single phone on display at Apple stores will use Samsung screens to show off quality. And you'll get home and open up your craptastic LG display full of grain, smear, and pink hue.
You do realize Apple has quality management at factories. Their QA is the best of the entire industry.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
I don't understand why Google is able to use (a very good) Samsung OLED in the "cheap" 3a and 1+ uses the best screen I've ever seen from Samsung in the 7 Pro (it is better than Samsung's own S10+ that I had, and my XS for that matter).

If Google can put a Samsung OLED into its $400 phone there is no reason other than greed / choice to pay less for components (in my opinion) for Apple to use LG / BOE.

1. Google is not in the business of making money from its phone. So even if the phone cost $400 from factory to Retail. They are perfectly fine with selling you at $400. And in the case of any other Chinese Manufacture, well they don't need to make much money.

2. Blame 3D Touch.

3. Apple wants to emphasise on Green Dot within the OLED, I assume this has to do with the longitivtiy of the panel, along with minimising PWM problem. PWM don't kick in until a much lower brightness than most ( if not all ) other Smartphone vendor.

4. The *best* screen is subjective, especially when most ( if not all ) other Smartphone vendor likes their panel to pop in colour, something Samsung likes using to show off their panel. While people do likes this *pop*, the world in reality just isn't that high in contrast. Apple has for decades prefer to have a natural colour, that goes from Design on its OS, to Photos taken from your camera and screen calibration.

5. I think it is within a realm of possibilities, that it isn't just "less" for BOE and LG, Apple will likely be demanding an OLED that isn't Super Retina for iPhone R. ( I hope I am wrong though, because OLED display do need high PPI to offer its quality. )

Last edited:
Reactions: Harthag

csi24

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2007
Maryland
Oh boy, here comes "OLEDgate."

Just make sure Samsung is supplying all the panels for the 6.7 iPhone next year

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003

Who says that they pay less for an LG display than for a Samsung one?
[doublepost=1563572468][/doublepost]
If they can produce quality screens, I don't care.
But I don't want to be able to notice a difference between the Samsung panels and the LG ones...
Nobody notices a difference, they just read about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.