Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phobic99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
Phone has been getting some really good reviews here.

I already ordered the Note 3 but this would have been in the running if I didnt.
Bigger screen won out for me.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/19/4749116/lg-g2-review

I'm actually thinking about picking up the G2 today and using that until the Note 3 is released.

I have a Note 2 now and it's easily one of the best phones I've ever owned. I have a problem with wanting to upgrade though...so...:(

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
So you are going to get it for like 2 weeks?

I thought I had the upgrade itch but you beat me!:D

phobic99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
So you are going to get it for like 2 weeks?

I thought I had the upgrade itch but you beat me!:D

Yes, it's seriously a problem. The Note 2 was the first phone that has put my issue to sleep but a I think in 2010 I bought nearly every Android smartphone released that year. Completely ridiculous. :(

Six8

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2012
Earth
I'm actually thinking about picking up the G2 today and using that until the Note 3 is released.

I have a Note 2 now and it's easily one of the best phones I've ever owned. I have a problem with wanting to upgrade though...so...:(

Just got one today myself and was thinking about exchanging for the note 3 but this phone is pretty badass so far

phobic99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
Just got one today myself and was thinking about exchanging for the note 3 but this phone is pretty badass so far

I'm on my way to get one now. I'm really interested in seeing your thoughts on it in a few days.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Beautiful phone, definitely might knock me out of my wanting a Note 3. I just wish it had a stylus, does anyone know if the screen supports a stylus like on the Note 3, or do you have to use one of those huge rubber tipped ones?

Very tempting for sure, especially at much less $$ and more manageable size.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Demoed the G2 at AT&T.

Good: Screen. Stunning.

Bad: Notification shade is a mess. Mediocre speaker. Buttons are terrible IMO. Personally I would strongly advise against the G2 and suggest waiting for the Nexus 5.

phobic99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
Did you get it?

Actually I did not. I went to my AT&T store in Friday and it was an absolute mad house due to the release of the new iPhones. All the reps were busy so I got plenty of time to actually use the G2 without impulse buying it.

The more I played with the phone, the less I liked it. I currently use a Note 2 so right of the bat, the G2 feels tiny. I actually liked this since it's easier to hold. Not a fan of the back buttons but I only used then for 30 mins or so.The screen is amazing, no doubt about it. The phone itself seems very cheap. My note 2 isn't a premium phone by any means but it has taken a beating due to my clumsiness. It's banged up but nothing more than scratches on the exterior. The G2 feels much more fragile and I just...slippery. I didn't like it.

As far as software is concerned, I prefer stock Android but I've modded my note 2 to look Jellybean even though it's still a touchwiz Rom (for the camera, spen, and better Bluetooth support). I've already been reading the G2 is having Bluetooth issues and I'm weary of LG's support and upgrade plan though Samsung isn't better in that regard either.

I guess I'm going with the Note 3 but like most people, the phone I really want doesn't exist yet. :(

Six8

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2012
Earth
Actually I did not. I went to my AT&T store in Friday and it was an absolute mad house due to the release of the new iPhones. All the reps were busy so I got plenty of time to actually use the G2 without impulse buying it.

The more I played with the phone, the less I liked it. I currently use a Note 2 so right of the bat, the G2 feels tiny. I actually liked this since it's easier to hold. Not a fan of the back buttons but I only used then for 30 mins or so.The screen is amazing, no doubt about it. The phone itself seems very cheap. My note 2 isn't a premium phone by any means but it has taken a beating due to my clumsiness. It's banged up but nothing more than scratches on the exterior. The G2 feels much more fragile and I just...slippery. I didn't like it.

As far as software is concerned, I prefer stock Android but I've modded my note 2 to look Jellybean even though it's still a touchwiz Rom (for the camera, spen, and better Bluetooth support). I've already been reading the G2 is having Bluetooth issues and I'm weary of LG's support and upgrade plan though Samsung isn't better in that regard either.

I guess I'm going with the Note 3 but like most people, the phone I really want doesn't exist yet. :(

That sux.. So far I'm very impressed with the screen, camera and battery. Still doesn't mean I won't give the Note 3 a whirl. I have issues :D

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Demoed the G2 at AT&T.

Good: Screen. Stunning.

Bad: Notification shade is a mess. Mediocre speaker. Buttons are terrible IMO. Personally I would strongly advise against the G2 and suggest waiting for the Nexus 5.

I'd like to wait for the N5 too, but I sold my ip5 and am slumming it with an old ip4 I had lying around. I didn't realize iOS7 would run so badly on the ip4 and I don't think I can hold out until November, which is the purported release date of the N5. We will find out soon enough as it's rumored to be announced Oct 14.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Hmm, getting offered a LG G2 unlocked 32gb for $400 cash, is this a good deal? I saw a side by side with the Note 3 at IFA video and the Note 3 looks so much more huge, I don't know if that would work for me. The G2 seems like a nice compromise.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Hmm, getting offered a LG G2 unlocked 32gb for $400 cash, is this a good deal? I saw a side by side with the Note 3 at IFA video and the Note 3 looks so much more huge, I don't know if that would work for me. The G2 seems like a nice compromise.

Hell yes. Id buy it in a heartbeat.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Hell yes. Id buy it in a heartbeat.

Snagged it!! First impressions, wow the screen is incredible. I've never seen a screen with such good daylight visibility, even in direct sunlight. The rear buttons are terrible, the phone gets turned on constantly, but hopefully there are settings I can adjust. It's a great size if you thought the Note was too big, but were sick of the iphone being tiny.

JH-

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
Snagged it!! First impressions, wow the screen is incredible. I've never seen a screen with such good daylight visibility, even in direct sunlight. The rear buttons are terrible, the phone gets turned on constantly, but hopefully there are settings I can adjust. It's a great size if you thought the Note was too big, but were sick of the iphone being tiny.

Most people are saying the buttons are hard to press. Could you describe what's causing the button to be depressed?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Most people are saying the buttons are hard to press. Could you describe what's causing the button to be depressed?

It's not the buttons, it's the double knock to turn it on. When you are handling the phone I guess it's easy for it to think you knocked on it twice. I'm still getting used to it though, and this was in the car while my wife drove home so I was kind of fumbling around with it a lot.

Did I mention the screen is insanely nice?

JH-

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
It's not the buttons, it's the double knock to turn it on. When you are handling the phone I guess it's easy for it to think you knocked on it twice. I'm still getting used to it though, and this was in the car while my wife drove home so I was kind of fumbling around with it a lot.

Did I mention the screen is insanely nice?

Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
yes there is a root out, it's quite easy as well. I've rooted and installed recovery.

so far there is one ROM for the ATT variant that pretty much removes all the bloat.

love this phone.

Any links? I can't seem to find anything with a search, it keeps coming up with roots for some HTC phone.

edit: Never mind, I found it on XDA forums. I'm going to give it a whirl tonight.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010

Wow, the LG prices are really that cheap ALREADY? I picked up an OG a few weeks after launch for $250. Hopefully, I can do the same with the G2

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Wow, the LG prices are really that cheap ALREADY? I picked up an OG a few weeks after launch for $250. Hopefully, I can do the same with the G2

Yeah, I don't know if I just got lucky. There were several on CL for $500, and I offered them all $400 and one bit. I'm not sure why it wouldn't be as popular as the S4 as it is a pretty nice phone, but I guess LG doesn't have the marketing budget of Samsung.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Yeah, I don't know if I just got lucky. There were several on CL for $500, and I offered them all $400 and one bit. I'm not sure why it wouldn't be as popular as the S4 as it is a pretty nice phone, but I guess LG doesn't have the marketing budget of Samsung.

Questionable quality and software support are the main factors IMO. When will we see 4.3 for it? The OG didnt get JB until months after the GS3, even though the OG didn't launch until the fall...months after the GS3 or One X.

LG is still a second tier phone maker.

My OG and Nexus 4 were two of the worst phones I've ever owned.

I've watched all the reviews on the G2 and it looks slick, but I'm not sure I would pick it over the GS4 or One, even with better specs. I'll buy it if its cheap though :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.