Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Questionable quality and software support are the main factors IMO. When will we see 4.3 for it? The OG didnt get JB until months after the GS3, even though the OG didn't launch until the fall...months after the GS3 or One X.

LG is still a second tier phone maker.

My OG and Nexus 4 were two of the worst phones I've ever owned.

I've watched all the reviews on the G2 and it looks slick, but I'm not sure I would pick it over the GS4 or One, even with better specs. I'll buy it if its cheap though :)

I've handled the S4 next to the G2 and the G2 feels much more solid IMO, the screen is nicer as well, especially in sunlight, although I wouldn't say there was a big difference in screens other than the daylight visibility.

The updates do stink, but I plan on rooting and putting in a custom ROM so it's not a big deal to me.

I don't hold onto phones for more than a year usually anyhow.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
The updates do stink, but I plan on rooting and putting in a custom ROM so it's not a big deal to me.

Hopefully, there is larger dev support this time around. When I had the OG, there was literally about 2 ROMs available for the AT&T variant. Compared to the amount of ROMs for the GS3 out there, there was a significant disparity.

I remember there was only ONE JB rom at that time and it was half-Korean because it was ported from the Korean model.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Hopefully, there is larger dev support this time around. When I had the OG, there was literally about 2 ROMs available for the AT&T variant. Compared to the amount of ROMs for the GS3 out there, there was a significant disparity.

I remember there was only ONE JB rom at that time and it was half-Korean because it was ported from the Korean model.

Yeah I think the Root is chinese or something like that, sigh...

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I gotta say so far I'm VERY happy with this phone. I had some money set aside for a 5s so I could swap back and forth, but I don't think I'm even going to bother with the 5s. What a beautiful screen, I don't think I've ever seen a screen with the sun shining directly at it be fully viewable. And the bezels, wow. The battery life is nuts, I navigated to work an hour away, streamed music over LTE for a 2 hour workout at lunch, and I'm back at the office with 66%, and I normally run with 80% brightness.

I miss the customization of Android, I'm happily having fun with Nova launcher and widgets again. Apple may entice me again if they release a 5" phone next year, but I think I'm pretty happy for the moment.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I gotta say so far I'm VERY happy with this phone. I had some money set aside for a 5s so I could swap back and forth, but I don't think I'm even going to bother with the 5s. What a beautiful screen, I don't think I've ever seen a screen with the sun shining directly at it be fully viewable. And the bezels, wow. The battery life is nuts, I navigated to work an hour away, streamed music over LTE for a 2 hour workout at lunch, and I'm back at the office with 66%, and I normally run with 80% brightness.

I miss the customization of Android, I'm happily having fun with Nova launcher and widgets again. Apple may entice me again if they release a 5" phone next year, but I think I'm pretty happy for the moment.

What's your opinion on the power button on the back?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
What's your opinion on the power button on the back?

With the knock knock feature it's honestly not an issue. If anything I prefer it, as with a power button, especially with a larger phone like the G2, it would be tough to have it one handed and reach for the power button.

The knock knock feature is honestly pretty awesome, all phones should have it.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I had no idea it had that 1980s type antenna to bring out the side like an old Watchman but that is pretty hilarious.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
With the knock knock feature it's honestly not an issue. If anything I prefer it, as with a power button, especially with a larger phone like the G2, it would be tough to have it one handed and reach for the power button.

The knock knock feature is honestly pretty awesome, all phones should have it.

Yeah, the knock knock feature is awesome. Someone on XDA needs to port that out to every smartphone out there.

swy05

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2008
As mentioned, the antenna is only for the Korean market. It's a DMB tuner used to watch tv. That's why all of the Samsung phones come with 2 batteries in the box for the Korean market. I think LG offers the same.

TV quality is pretty darn good to boot.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
The antenna is only for the Korean market. It's a DMB tuner used to watch tv. That's why all of the Samsung phones come with 2 batteries in the box for the Korean market.

TV quality is pretty darn good to boot.

Yup. Also the K market Note 2 had a pull out antenna also. I had a couple cases for my old GN2 that had the cut out for the antenna.

SeanZy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
Well, I returned my LG G2 today.

The phone was beautiful. It had a great screen, amazing battery life, and was just super nice looking.

Ultimately though, I couild not deal with the iphone to Android barrier especially with all my friends having iphones. Things like the group messaging issue cross apple and android (which I know can be fixed with apps but i do not want to have to use an app for that basic functionality), and the LG skin made me decide to keep with my iPhone.

I really wanted a larger screen and I wanted to love an Android device finally, but once again I find myself climbing back to Apple.

The phone is a beast though and I hope everyone who has one enjoys it! :D

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

The phone was beautiful. It had a great screen, amazing battery life, and was just super nice looking.

Ultimately though, I couild not deal with the iphone to Android barrier especially with all my friends having iphones. Things like the group messaging issue cross apple and android (which I know can be fixed with apps but i do not want to have to use an app for that basic functionality), and the LG skin made me decide to keep with my iPhone.

I really wanted a larger screen and I wanted to love an Android device finally, but once again I find myself climbing back to Apple.

Good luck on the trip back to the iPhone! Hopefully the iPhone 6 will have a 4.5 to 5 inch screen for you next year.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

Thankfully I was able to get everyone that mattered to me on Google Hangouts, but leaving Apple can create some communication barriers for those with a lot of iPhone only associates.

I've still have not found a video chat app that works as well as facetime and miss the family private iCloud photo streams.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Thankfully I was able to get everyone that mattered to me on Google Hangouts, but leaving Apple can create some communication barriers for those with a lot of iPhone only associates.

I've still have not found a video chat app that works as well as facetime and miss the family private iCloud photo streams.
Dropbox can replace photostream. It is cross platform compatible. I have it installed on all my PCs and Macs and Android phones. I can have all pics synced and shared between all PCs and Macs and all phones as well. Dropbox also can let you send links to share photos and any data you want with anyone that has an email address and a computer.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

I guess I don't get these iMessage issues. If somebody isn't on it, why can't you and everybody else just text them with a normal messaging app that comes with the phone? What am I missing here? Hec I don't hardly even use hangouts because I don't see a big difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.