Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

molokai_man

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2016
Installed
macOS 10.12 (16A320)

Immediately, my LG ultrawide monitor stopped working correctly. Could not find the proper resolution, even option-clicking "scaled" revealed a limited list of resolutions.

Had worked just fine for two years. Distortion now makes monitor nearly unusable.

Reactions: grahamperrin

accentaudio

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
Kansas City
I've noticed similar anomalies. Like upon boot there's about a 2 second horizontal flicker near the top of my screen. This never happened until Sierra. I'm thinking Apple has changed something with external display support. I'm using a 32" BENQ. Bummer.

Installed
macOS 10.12 (16A320)

Immediately, my LG ultrawide monitor stopped working correctly. Could not find the proper resolution, even option-clicking "scaled" revealed a limited list of resolutions.

Had worked just fine for two years. Distortion now makes monitor nearly unusable.

molokai_man

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2016
I've noticed similar anomalies. Like upon boot there's about a 2 second horizontal flicker near the top of my screen. This never happened until Sierra. I'm thinking Apple has changed something with external display support. I'm using a 32" BENQ. Bummer.

Agreed, bummer. This happens with my Ultrawide 25, but my LG Ultrawide 34 works perfectly, oddly. So I am dumping the 25 and buying a second 34. Cant afford to wait for Apple to figure it out.

accentaudio

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
Kansas City
I wonder what is going on? I hope anyone having weird issues or graphical anomalies with their own external display is reporting it to Apple. I have reported my issue.

molokai_man

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2016
I reported mine as well. But my experience with Apple has been "don't hold your breath".

FWIW, Samsung tech support spent 30 minutes trying to help me solve it. So kudos to them.

scrmtrey

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2013
Maybe you need force rgb script. (Force rgb mode and maybe native resolutions).

accentaudio

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
Kansas City
Here is what I see upon boot. Never saw this ugliness on any other version of OS X.
IMG_0357.JPG

dg4prez

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2013
I've spoken with Tim Cook's office about this over the phone a few times, and ended up speaking to some engineers. I'm told this will be fixed in the next build - this was late last week. Not sure what the timeline for that is, I assume either today before release, or as a patch after release.

Hung_Solo

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2016
I have an LG 27UD88 monitor so if there seems to be issues with Sierra and external displays I may wait to update until this is resolved.

accentaudio

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
Kansas City
dg4, I'm sorry, but I don't believe you talked to "Tim Cook's office" or any engineers. Also, as of today's final release these issues still remain. Maybe you can call Tim Cook back so he can let his engineers know lol... ;)

Reactions: fiveainone

accentaudio

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
Kansas City
had anyone the chance to test the 10.12.1 Beta? Is the issue still there?

Wondering the same thing... Quite crazy that Apple is letting this external monitor thing slip through. Really makes me believe they are about to drop some new displays for sale and this is their way to get people to buy them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.