Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPad models with OLED displays appear to be ebbing closer to production, as LG Display is preparing equipment at its facilities to make OLED panels specifically for future iPads, The Elec reports.

OLED-iPad-Pro-Feature.jpg

The company is purportedly making significant adjustments to its production lines to be able to supply Apple with OLED display panels for future iPad models. According to the report, this is indicated by the fact that LG Display is currently moving OLED production equipment to its plant in Paju, South Korea. The movement of active equipment to another production line is very rare since it requires recalibration and risks damage during transport, sources speaking to The Elec said.

The Paju plant already houses two production lines that manufacture flexible OLED panels for the iPhone, and LG is constructing another line to add to its iPhone panel production capacity. A new, fourth line will manufacture rigid OLED panels. Each production line is able to make up to 15,000 panels per month.

This is the second time that the Paju plant has been reported to be central to Apple's OLED iPad plans. Last month, ETNews claimed that LG Display was planning to expand the Paju plant to supply panels for next-generation iPhone and iPad models. Although an OLED display could come to the iPad for the first time next year, LG is said to be planning to start mass production of these panels at the Paju facility in 2024. This timing broadly lines up with other recent reports, which has placed the launch of the OLED iPad between 2023 and 2024.

LG is also not the only supplier now enacting plans to set up production lines for upcoming iPad models with OLED displays. China's BOE is similarly believed to be gearing up to supply OLED panels suitable for future iPad models.

Article Link: LG Preparing Production Lines for iPad OLED Display Panels

Reactions: RouterCFW

xxray

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2013
I will be so annoyed if it’s the iPad Air that gets OLED (as past rumors would suggest) instead of the Pros. The blooming on my M1 12.9” iPad Pro is my biggest, and probably only, complaint of the device.

Hopefully OLED will be coming to the Pros and this will be a good time to upgrade in a few years.

NoelWalker

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2021
I want that sexy contrast and XDR with OLED, but the burn-in issue is holding me back from getting an OLED iPad if it is true.

Reactions: Cape Dave

MayaUser

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2021
oled tech to the ipad....it should be for the cheapest ipad or at most to the ipad air with this old tech oled
the pro will keep their new mini-led and go for micro-led in 5-6 years

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
Does this mean that really really old iPads will have worse screen burn in than old iPads do today, which isnt much. I wonder how long these will last compared to older screen tech.

xpxp2002

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2016
Pwm hell is coming
I know. I have a 2017 iPad Pro that is far less straining to look at than my iPhone because of the LCD.

I was hoping to get another year or two out of it, but I may upgrade this year when the new Pros drop just to make sure I don't get stuck with an OLED, like I did with the iPhone.

It sucks that you either have to get the cheap SE or suffer with OLED. Looks like iPad is headed for the same fate.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
I thought OLED had density issues that would cause problems with Apples Retina branding.

I will be so annoyed if it’s the iPad Air that gets OLED (as past rumors would suggest) instead of the Pros. The blooming on my M1 12.9” iPad Pro is my biggest, and probably only, complaint of the device.

Hopefully OLED will be coming to the Pros and this will be a good time to upgrade in a few years.
I just hope the screen gets brighter this time. Sometimes I feel like the screen is not bright enough. It needs to be on ? level.

Reactions: svish and SFjohn

GuruZac

macrumors 68020
Sep 9, 2015
2024 is a perfect time to replace my 2021 model. I do really enjoy the miniLED display, but the blooming when watching in darker lighting conditions is quite glaring. I welcome OLED, even if that means less total brightness because I never use my iPad display above 50% during the day and even less at night.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2021
I want that sexy contrast and XDR with OLED, but the burn-in issue is holding me back from getting an OLED iPad if it is true.
Same old comment about OLED. Newer panels in the last couple years from all manufacturers have had very little, if any, issues and LG even offers a 5yr warranty against burn in on their new G1 panels. Additionally I’ve never seen any OLED phone suffer burn in regardless of manufacturer unless it was a display model.

Can we stop beating this horse now…

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I remain skeptical that we will see OLED in iPads. The Elec is an industry site that promotes South Korean tech and has often run articles about how Apple "might" use their products to drum up interest from other companies - "well if Apple is using this, maybe we should, too!"

Note in the body of the article they note "it is likely" LG is doing so, not that it is a confirmed fact.

Last edited:

deconstruct60

macrumors G4
Mar 10, 2009
The Paju plant already houses two production lines that manufacture flexible OLED panels for the iPhone, and LG is constructing another line to add to its iPhone panel production capacity. A new, fourth line will manufacture rigid OLED panels. Each production line is able to make up to 15,000 panels per month.

Is that 15,000 per month missing another zero???? That is just 180K panels in year. What iPad sells anywhere near 180K in a year? (the iPad Pro 12" ... already has a mini-LED display. If talking about the iPad Air this seems way off. ). Even if just as a second supplier how would that relative drop in the bucket help ? For the iPhone, it is off the need by multiple orders of magnitude.

Reactions: appleArticulate

alpi123

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2014
iPhones do 1000nits SDR and they’re OLED so we just need that tech.
Compare the size of the screen of an iPhone and an OLED TV.

But I don't get why people think by 2024 OLED tech won't be improved, we even saw quite the jump this year with QD-OLED, which Samsung claims to have drastically reduced the burn-in issue and the colors and brightness are much better. LG and SONY have similar tech, so I'm sure by the time Apple puts OLEDs in iPads and MacBooks, the traditional OLED issues would be minimized.

• Love
Reactions: SFjohn

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
It should be noted that LG's televisions use WOLED (White OLED that is run through RGB filters) while the iPhones use a PenTile matrix RGB OLED so the two technologies are quite different.

Samsung's QD-OLED is also quite different from PenTile matrix, as it uses three blue OLEDs and then quantum dots to convert the light from two of the blue OLEDs to red and green.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
I'd much prefer OLEDs to LCD or those fading LCDs they put in the lastest Pro. But what's the point? The tech has been available in Samsung tablets for almost a decade. Why now? What was the point of those 'Retina XDR' LCDs?
Stopgap and reason for customer to upgrade. I suspect OLED will be a entry level thing and “micro”LED a Pro thing. Maybe some OLED Evo/QDOLED thing for Pro models until microOLED is ready for prime time.

appleArticulate

Suspended
Jan 6, 2022
What is the timing on this? Is the next iPad Pro going to have OLED? One and done with mini-LED? Very odd.

I guess the Mac is going to bear the burden of recouping the 5+ years of R&D costs on mini-LED. The display is beautiful on the new MacBook Pro and looks like it is coming to iMac Pro next.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.