Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
What is the timing on this? Is the next iPad Pro going to have OLED? One and done with mini-LED? Very odd.

I guess the Mac is going to bear the burden of recouping the 5+ years of R&D costs on mini-LED. The display is beautiful on the new MacBook Pro and looks like it is coming to iMac Pro next.
Air 5 will not have OLED or miniLED.

appleArticulate

Suspended
Jan 6, 2022
Stopgap and reason for customer to upgrade. I suspect OLED will be a entry level thing and “micro”LED a Pro thing. Maybe some OLED Evo/QDOLED thing for Pro models until microOLED is ready for prime time.
1. Mini-LED is not a stop gap for anything. They spent severals working on it. Lots of R&D to recoup. But it looks like the Mac may be responsible for recouping that.

2. Today's LCD screens still look good enough for a lot of people. No chance OLED becomes "entry level" for anything.

3. Micro-LED is still in its infancy and is no where near ready.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
1. Mini-LED is not a stop gap for anything. They spent severals working on it. Lots of R&D to recoup. But it looks like the Mac may be responsible for recouping that.

2. Today's LCD screens still look good enough for a lot of people. No chance OLED becomes "entry level" for anything.

3. Micro-LED is still in its infancy and is no where near ready.
1. 3D Touch, TouchBar are other examples of why your assessment of Apple and R&D is flawed.

2. I agree LCD screens do and yet Apple needs some feature to entice people to upgrade and have infinity contrast ratio is another big plus. OLED is the standard on entry level iPhones since version 12. Not to be confused with budget SE which may eventually be phased out or the screen move from LCD to OLED. Another flawed observation.

3. MicroLED is the future and if Apple can invest big $$$ into miniLED even with its drawbacks it can speed track microLED by including more manufacturers and encouraging others to get into that segment. The side effect is more demand and the product and cost gets lowered.

• Disagree
Reactions: xpxp2002

appleArticulate

Suspended
Jan 6, 2022
1. 3D Touch, TouchBar are other examples of why your assessment of Apple and R&D is flawed.

2. I agree LCD screens do and yet Apple needs some feature to entice people to upgrade and have infinity contrast ratio is another big plus. OLED is the standard on entry level iPhones since version 12. Not to be confused with budget SE which may eventually be phased out or the screen move from LCD to OLED. Another flawed observation.

3. MicroLED is the future and if Apple can invest big $$$ into miniLED even with its drawbacks it can speed track microLED by including more manufacturers and encouraging others to get into that segment. The side effect is more demand and the product and cost gets lowered.
1. Both of these are products that lasted exactly 5 years before being phased out, even though they were both almost useless from day one. In fact, they prove my point about Apple R&D thoroughly. Seems it is your understanding that is severely flawed here, though you seem to very much want to be right about something.

2. OLED started in high end iPhones, and has worked its way as low as a $599 iPhone 12 from last year. Both iPhone SE and iPhone 11 are ahead of this in the product line, as entry level phones. There is no entry level iPhone with OLED. At present, the 11" iPad Pro doesn't even have mini-LED. There is a chance that the next iPad Pro will have OLED in both the large and small variants. But almost no chance that the iPad Air would cross that line. And zero chance that iPad or iPad mini would.

3. Micro-LED indeed is the future, if they can get it working. Today it still just POC inside Apple.

• Disagree

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
1. Both of these are products that lasted exactly 5 years before being phased out, even though they were both almost useless from day one. In fact, they prove my point about Apple R&D thoroughly. Seems it is your understanding that is severely flawed here, though you seem to very much want to be right about something.

2. OLED started in high end iPhones, and has worked its way as low as a $599 iPhone 12 from last year. Both iPhone SE and iPhone 11 are ahead of this in the product line, as entry level phones. There is no entry level iPhone with OLED. At present, the 11" iPad Pro doesn't even have mini-LED. There is a chance that the next iPad Pro will have OLED in both the large and small variants. But almost no chance that the iPad Air would cross that line. And zero chance that iPad or iPad mini would.

3. Micro-LED indeed is the future, if they can get it working. Today it still just POC inside Apple.
1. 3D Touch on iPhone lives for 4 years starting with iPhone 6 and ended with iPhone 8/XS. Apple was too stubborn to admit that TouchBar was a failure similar to the Butterfly Mechanism Keybord, plus the removal of MagSafe, HDMI and SD Card slot. Apple has had many short lived products such as the G4 Cube as an example as well. If Apple can get OLED at a significant discount it will introduce that either in the Pro line or may jump directly to the consumer line or maybe include it across the board however one having ProMotion and higher brightness while the other not so. Apple has done this with the iPhone 13/Pro line.

2. Just because there is no budget iPhone model with OLED today that means Apple will never offer it, great assessment considering history indicates as you said OLED was on the top level iPhones and have made its way to the consumer level models starting with iPhone 12. miniLED not available on the iPad Pro 11” is an odd omission and maybe due to availability or a test bed.

3. MicroLED is working, what you are referring to is getting it produced in large quantities with QC and various sizes. Give it 3-5 years, I suspect it may show up on an AW first then iPhone/iPad and Mac laptop and display. Apple usually is slower at moving onto new things such as OLED but that is due to many reasons.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Well for me the half a decade Apple has put into readying mini-LED (now) and micro-LED (future) tells me what they think of OLED's progress and potential.
microLED is still 5-10 years away at best. Even if Apple is the first one to use it, it won't be in such products as the iPad.

I read they're planning to use mOLED in their VR headset, but that headset is most likely not lanching this year and will be quite expensive.

Reactions: SFjohn

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
I read they're planning to use mOLED in their VR headset, but that headset is most likely not lanching this year and will be quite expensive.

I'm still unclear on what the heck we'll be doing with an Apple VR/AR headset.

Nothing in their existing software catalog looks even remotely interesting to me in that space.

Love to be pleasantly surprised, but it sure needs to be something more interesting than "Apple Arcade VR!" and the like.

forrestwhite

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Canada
On the topic of LG.. any more rumours on their development of a monitor for Apple? Haven't heard anything in about a month and curious to know if there's any likelihood we'll see something @ WWDC.

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
IMO, OLED sucks. The color shift is so bad I turned dark mode on on my iPhone 12, even though I don’t particularly care for it.

I‘ll take LCD. Not sure about mini LED as I’ve never seen it in person.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Maybe in 2 years time iPad will get OLED display. With Pro iPad getting mini LED, don’t know which iPad would be getting OLED. Maybe for a larger iPad Pro like the rumoured Samsung Tab S8 Ultra which is about to launch soon.

appleArticulate

Suspended
Jan 6, 2022
1. 3D Touch on iPhone lives for 4 years starting with iPhone 6 and ended with iPhone 8/XS. Apple was too stubborn to admit that TouchBar was a failure similar to the Butterfly Mechanism Keybord, plus the removal of MagSafe, HDMI and SD Card slot. Apple has had many short lived products such as the G4 Cube as an example as well. If Apple can get OLED at a significant discount it will introduce that either in the Pro line or may jump directly to the consumer line or maybe include it across the board however one having ProMotion and higher brightness while the other not so. Apple has done this with the iPhone 13/Pro line.

2. Just because there is no budget iPhone model with OLED today that means Apple will never offer it, great assessment considering history indicates as you said OLED was on the top level iPhones and have made its way to the consumer level models starting with iPhone 12. miniLED not available on the iPad Pro 11” is an odd omission and maybe due to availability or a test bed.

3. MicroLED is working, what you are referring to is getting it produced in large quantities with QC and various sizes. Give it 3-5 years, I suspect it may show up on an AW first then iPhone/iPad and Mac laptop and display. Apple usually is slower at moving onto new things such as OLED but that is due to many reasons.
It's not just about stubbornness. Apple puts a lot of time and money into developing these things, and for better or worse they are going to use them for a period of time, and recoup that investment.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
It's not just about stubbornness. Apple puts a lot of time and money into developing these things, and for better or worse they are going to use them for a period of time, and recoup that investment.
Sometimes better to write the loss off like the G4 Cube and recoup the loss by distributing it with other well designed products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.