LG Smart TVs Gain Dolby Atmos Support for Apple TV App

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Dolby Atmos support for the Apple TV app arrived this week on select LG smart TVs, reports 9to5Mac. Dolby Atmos enables sounds to be precisely placed and moved in three-dimensional space, rather than being constrained to channels.

LG confirmed in February that Dolby Atmos support for the Apple TV app and AirPlay 2 would be coming in a software update to compatible TVs later in the year. No further details were provided, so we cannot confirm if this applies generally to 2019 and 2020 LG TVs or only some of them.

For those models that do receive the update, users can enjoy movies and TV shows with more three-dimensional audio when viewed in the Apple TV app and, presumably, when streaming content over AirPlay 2. Dolby Atmos is also supported on the Apple TV 4K running tvOS 12 or later.

Apple has released its TV app on several smart TVs, including all of LG's 2020 models and select 2019 models. The TV app lets users access Apple TV+ subscription content as well as the iTunes Store, where they can buy and rent individual movies.

Article Link: LG Smart TVs Gain Dolby Atmos Support for Apple TV App

Dolmio

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2020
With apple rolling out the apple tv app the apple tv box in its current form seems a bit pointless. It would make sense IMO for apple to beef up the apple tv box to like a mac mini arm device which you could use as a computer video call on your tv screen etc

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, Scotland
They didn't replicate the entire box, just the single TV app on it. The box can and does run lots of apps other than that one, which makes it far from pointless.
Not to mention the tvOS interface generally leaps and bounds ahead of the default interfaces on current TVs. LG's webOS is generally alright, but I still prefer my Apple TV box. (And it's not snooping on me via microphones / cameras).

splogue

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2008
Cary, NC
I fail to see how Dolby Atmos sound coming out of a TV will work.

if you want 7.4.2 sound, you’ll need more than the 1 or 2 speakers on a TV
Atmos scales down to however many speakers you have, but yes, if you want 7.4.2 you'll have to hook up something externally driven by the TV. The main advantage is that the TV can send Atmos over an eArc connection to whatever external sound source you are using.

itsmilo

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2016
Europe
If only the Apple TV app could be ported for android tv as simply as an app install, that’s what I did to get Hulu and HBO Max on my German Android TV.

Duncan-UK

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2006
They didn't replicate the entire box, just the single TV app on it. The box can and does run lots of apps other than that one, which makes it far from pointless.
Maybe so but a great many of the apps are also available on a smart TV. My 2019 LG has the iPlayer, Disney +, Prime Video, Now TV, Netflix and Apple. I only use my Apple TV 4K now to stream music from my iTunes Match playlists to the hifi, or access iTunes Extras (which must be about twice a year).

More importantly, if you're TV doesn't handle these, then a Firestick 4K is the device to have, which can be found on regular promotion for between £25 and £30. The remote on the firestick is far nicer as well. I just can't see myself ever buying another Apple TV device and I must have bought over 10 of them in the past.

spinedoc77

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2009
Samsung have made Apple TV available for older TVs but LG refuse to. if Netflix, Amazon etc all work fine on my 2017 LG OLED B7 then I am sure Apple TV would too. Just a cynical ploy to attempt to get people to upgrade.
Vizio also makes Apple TV available for older TV's, the one older Vizio TV I have has it working perfectly. LG is supposed to be more of a premium company than Vizio. I have 3 LG TV's that I purchased in the last 2 years that don't get Apple TV, they will be the last LG TV's I will ever buy.

mpConroe

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2017
Arbroath (UK) / Wroclaw (PL)
My 2018 LG tv is not supported. I have to connect my iMac or MacBook to the tv if I want to watch some tv. I wish to buy Apple TV, but I am waiting for newer model tbh. This one is like 3 years old, so buying old hardware is pointless.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
Does earc work with the new sounds bases without drop out like the Sonos arc soundbars?

looking into LG OLEDs as I’ve upgraded to Sonos and am selling off all my garbage HomePods. Apple has really done nothing with this product line sadly. but diversifying and not owning just Apple is probably smarter anyways. be good at something. Don’t try to be at everything.

MrMister111

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Does the Apple TV+ app on LG just have the aTV+ and iTunes content not like on the actual Apple TV where it integrates iPlayer, ITV hub etc for catchup services?

I only really use my Apple TV 4th Gen for aTV+ and iTunes so don’t want to upgrade to a Apple TV 4K really

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2011
I have a 2019 B9 and a 2017 B7. I honestly can’t tell a difference between the two TVs. I think its ridiculous that I can run the Apple TV app on my b9 but can’t on my b7. This is just a ploy to force people to upgrade. So annoying.

MrMister111

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I have a 2019 B9 and a 2017 B7. I honestly can’t tell a difference between the two TVs. I think its ridiculous that I can run the Apple TV app on my b9 but can’t on my b7. This is just a ploy to force people to upgrade. So annoying.
Agree 100% but it’s always been like that, my Panasonic has Prime app and never worked, always buffered. Went around in circles between Panasonic and Amazon. Worried perfect on PS4....

It’s not technical limitations talk, as you say just to get you to upgrade I believe.

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
Can I add my usual whinge about the AppleTV+ app not being available on my 2017 LG OLED even though the set is perfectly capable of running it?

I'm not talking about AirPlay2 support here, just the AppleTV+ app. A Disney+ app appeared recently as did a native BritBox app. While Disney+ doesn't interest me, personally, it shows that apps for newer services are being made available and that the 2017 LG is perfectly fine with 4K HDR and Dolby Digital content. It even supports Dolby Atmos FFS.

No reason at all why Apple/LG can't sort this out.

Reactions: whooleytoo

MrMister111

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Which LG TV’s have “Atmos” built in for the TV speakers? I know not true Atmos but some mixing/sampling.

I’m not talking about the ability to output Atmos to external speakers.

Thanks

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
Which LG TV’s have “Atmos” built in for the TV speakers? I know not true Atmos but some mixing/sampling.

I’m not talking about the ability to output Atmos to external speakers.

Thanks
I can't talk about others in the range, just the one I own. I have a 2017 LG C7 OLED. It has Dolby Atmos, although as you quite rightly say that's a bit bonkers considering it's got limited speakers inside the unit.

I know you're not talking about the external speakers, however this support becomes less bonkers if you want to use something like an external soundbar connected via ARC (the 2017 doesn't have eARC). Because the TV natively supports Atmos, it's able to take the Atmos information from the built in app that supports it (such as Netflix) and pass it through to the (better) external speaker(s) for processing. In the case of the 2017 LG, this means you can get full Atmos support from your external speakers using the built in apps on WebOS when you connect your external sound equipment using HDMI ARC. I'm considering a Sonos Arc for this myself.

Personally, this keeps everything simple. No separate STB and yet another remote to fiddle with. Just the LG and a soundbar and everything works including Atmos support.

Hope that helps.

Dolmio

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2020
Fair point but I think they could do so much more with the Apple TV box

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I hate pretty much everything about my 2019 LG’s “apps.” Interface is awful, remote makes me want to smash it. Much happier just relying on Apple TV hooked up to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.