LG Struggling to Keep Up With iPad Display Demand

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 23, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reuters reports that Korean manufacturer LG is struggling to keep up with demand for LCD screens destined for Apple's iPad, even as it seeks to cut production on larger LCDs used in television sets amid weakening demand in that market. LG CEO Kwon Young-soo even suggests that the iPad display supply-demand imbalance may force Apple to delay planned international roll-outs of the device.
    A report from last month claimed that Apple has tapped Samsung to supplement LG's efforts to supply screens for the iPad. If the rumors of Samsung's volume production set to begin this month are true, it may give Apple the ability to come closer to meeting current demand as it waits for LG's additional production to come online.

Apple announced earlier this week that its next round of international iPad releases was set for today in nine new countries. The company also noted during its earnings conference call on Tuesday that it is selling iPads as fast as it can make them, with demand exceeding what Apple initially considered to be a "bold" assumption of one million units per month.

Article Link: LG Struggling to Keep Up With iPad Display Demand

2. badcrumble macrumors regular

Not until next year, huh? Apple might be ready to refresh at that point anyway, which'll spike demand right back up again after the Christmas sales rush is over.

3. thatisme macrumors 6502

thatisme

glad to see the continued demand for the iPad. Doesn't look like it is going to be a one-and-done or a hobby product.

This bodes well for app programmers. Hopefully we will see increasingly more capable and useful apps for the platform

4. alakazzam macrumors member

Shouldn't be long until we see an iPad screen refresh anyways with the iPhone having the sweet retnia display it'd be silly for Apple to not bring this over to the already beautiful iPad display.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

So much for iPad killers if they can't even buy the screen.

Dream on.

Have you actually used an iPad? Different viewing distance, different requirements.

6. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    considering how the ipad screen is nearly 3 times the size of the iphone... doubtful.... Not yet. They could give the screen a slight bump, but Apple may want to limit the number or resolutions out there.

7. RaZaK macrumors regular

RaZaK

no snitchin'

is LG crazy??? :eek:

Uncle Steve doesn't like when his partners speak his business. I wonder if there will be continued gradual shift away from LG to Samsung now that LG's CEO ran off at the mouth about Apple having to delay launches.

smh :rolleyes:

8. Virtualball macrumors 6502

People seem to use the term without truly understanding what it means. It looks so real because it's hundreds of hundreds of pixels in a tiny screen. They're so close and small that it blurs the line of screen and reality. To get that ppi in the iPad, one would have to get an insane amount of pixels into the screen. Also, when viewed from far away, it wouldn't mean anything. Like 1080 TVs look like 720 when viewed from 6 feet, IIRC.

9. sbrhwkp3 macrumors 6502a

sbrhwkp3

The more I use my iPhone 4, the less I like the display on my iPad.

10. igazza macrumors 6502a

igazza

Wow must be awesome, The more i use my ipad the less i like my 3GS :p

11. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Oh god, not this one again... Please please please can people stop banging on about this, Apple aren't bringing a 2,530 x 1,897 pixel iPad display to market anytime soon, at least not at the current price points. Hell, I'm not even sure it's practical to make a display at that size and resolution for mass production right now and then you've got to have CPU's and GPU's to drive it, not to mention a battery capable of powering it for 10 hours+. You may get away with less if you figure that the iPad is normally held further from the face than the 12 inches or so the iPhone is calculated at but even so...

Anyway, as to the topic itself, it raises another interesting question for me: If Apple have LG's stock tied up and Samsung are being brought on-line to add additional capacity how does that affect the rest of the industry as they try to launch their own tablets? The display, after all, is one of very few design elements that has an immediate impact on the user and if Apple have the high end more-or-less sewn up then that's going to make it tricky (not impossible but tricky) for others to come into that space.

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Chinese manufacturers are drying up supply as well with their own tablet like devices, such as this innovative product, the iped.

[​IMG]

13. jeznav macrumors 6502

So you want us developers working on a resolution of 2048x1536 over the current 1024x768? Talk about framebuffer performance. Maybe when dual core comes out with 1GB of ram.

14. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

It's amazing how well some gadgets are selling this year. Apple can't make enough iPhone 4s (especially the white ones) and iPad, Motorola can't make enough Droid X and HTC can't make enough EVO, Desire and Incredible due to display shortage from Samsung.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm glad Apple is a driving force, but depending on one supplier is obviously a bad idea.

Your textures should be as high as possible to start with. A lot easier to scale down than scale up.

16. JAT macrumors 603

LG would have to be idiots not to be looking at extra facilities or conversion of current space. Even just for Apple, let alone any others that may come along with similar-sized capacitive screen needs.

But that takes time.

17. thatoneguy159 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

IPhone is to iPad as to Nintendo DSi is to Nintendo DSi XL.

18. dogzilla macrumors newbie

Hey, anyone seen all those folks who were predicting that noone would buy the iPad? I can't seem to find any of them anywhere.

19. giosaccone macrumors regular

giosaccone

I thought LG was a huge company. If they can meet the demand it's good news for the iPad.

20. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

He's not talking about scaling anything, he's talking about performance.

21. alakazzam macrumors member

Okay fine so the 1024x768 resolution of the iPad probably wont be changed. You're right I can continue to dream about an unpractical resolution for the iPad. I suppose LG will just need to step up production. :)

22. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

I agree completely. The iPad is looking pretty ragged now.

23. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

It's been proven/said enough: battery+processor+size≠possible (at this time).

Maybe in 5+ years.

However, it would be nice to have a tiny kick upward to 1200+. The future of the device is obviously going to be low-end iMac type device, just cropped to hell (no serious drives and lesser cpu power). Give it 5 years and the cost of ram drives might be pennies per gig, making the iPad something formidable and clawing toward the low-end desktop market if it raises resolution a little.

24. bwillwall macrumors 6502a

bwillwall

God dammit LG

Apple asked if you could keep up with demand. You say yes. You cant. It affects apples customors. There is no company that can keep up with apple. Apple should start manufacturing these things themselves. They should also start there own cell phone company and blow AT&T off the face on the UNIVERSE!!!!

25. aohus macrumors 68000

everyone should realize that LG makes most of the higher quality display panels out there. Samsung/Panasonic/Sony/etc. all use LG panels for their TV's. I can't really think of another display maker that matches the same logistical prowess as LG.